Travis

Re: Books that make you think...
minsidesoutside_lds
minsidesoutside_lds Posted Wed 05 Dec, 2007 5:32 AM Quote
Some of C.S. Lewis (except Chronicles Of Narnia, perhaps, if you are old enough to face a very acid-critical opinion of nowadays life style and points of view, in a direct way ) Such as about:

Love: (he explain different kinds of love that exist: Eros (that is passion), Friendship, Charity (that is loving God, not only solidarity), Affections, etc. And how each one can be misunderstood, turning to a bad feeling inside of you instead of love because of selfishness, etc... Really interesting. The name of the book: "Love"

Pain: (why do we have to suffer? how can we get through pain with a candle of hope? etc) The name of the book: "The problem of Pain"

Also love the first book I read by him, The Screwtape Letters. But this one you need to be living out Christian faith. Is a very ironic and satiric book about temptations; such as, refering to God as "the Enemy" while Satan is tenderly patronized as "Our Father Below". Is difficult but very enjoyable.

Ok, that's an option :P

Salute

sorry angel
sorry angel Posted Wed 05 Dec, 2007 8:54 AM Quote
pixiedixie wrote:
If this is a man, by Primo Levi

The perfume, Patrick Suskind

Two cool books

I was also going to refer to "If it is a man" by Primo Livi, and would also add "To live or to Write" by Jorge Semprun, an even stronger experience for me.

And also Antonio Tabucchi "Indian Nocturn", the most magical and poetic search for yourself/oneself...

Nigel
Nigel Posted Wed 05 Dec, 2007 11:24 AM Quote
AbsolutPurple wrote:
life changing experience ? "Brazzaville beach" by William Boyd.

Chimps better than humans?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7124156.stm

iraida
iraida Posted Wed 05 Dec, 2007 6:40 PM Quote
"Galápagos" by Kurt Vonnegut. Here the author maintains that all the miseries of humankind were caused by "the only true villain in my story: the oversized human brain". I like the fact that K. Vonnegut uses unorthodox methods of suspense such as a technique used by the narrator of the book wherein he signifies characters who will shortly die by placing an * in front of their name. You should read it when I did lot of things changed :)

Peewee
Peewee Posted Fri 07 Dec, 2007 10:00 AM Quote
Wow thanks for all your responses! I love the way that books can really move you. Sometimes you just come across them and they mean so much but sometimes it's great when someone recommends a great book and you fall in love with it. I think I will search out some of the titles you have given me.....we should do a book swap and see what others think! lol

Wends xx

Ursina
Ursina Posted Fri 07 Dec, 2007 2:04 PM Quote
well the one I'm reading just now is not very moving but quite funny.

Hemmingway's Chair by Michael Palin :-D The weird thing is, because I recently watched his travel programmes, I can hear his voice while I'm reading the book. It's really quite freaky.
Have you experienced this before ?

galletitabonita
galletitabonita Posted Fri 07 Dec, 2007 7:59 PM Quote
My favorites are:

1.La noche de Tlateloco by Elena Poniatowska (Mexican book)
2.NO LOGO by Naomi Klein (a book related with my career very interesting)

The first one made me think about the upset situation in my country. I was 14 when I read it.

pixiedixie
pixiedixie Posted Fri 07 Dec, 2007 10:43 PM Quote
I´ve just started Journey to the end of the night by L. F. Celine, pretty cool

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Sat 08 Dec, 2007 3:56 AM Quote
pixiedixie wrote:
I´ve just started Journey to the end of the night by L. F. Celine, pretty cool

Classic , Death on the Installment Plan not as much

Hard Boiled Wonderland and The End of the World - Haruki Murakami

The Man with the Golden Arm - Nelson Algren

Nikki
Nikki Posted Sat 08 Dec, 2007 4:28 AM Quote
If you guys are looking for an incredible Primo Levi book, read "Survival in Auschwitz," it's wonderful!

Some of my other favorites:

"The Monk" by Matthew Lewis
"The Scarlet Letter" by Nathaniel Hawthorne
"The Bell Jar" by Sylvia Plath
"Crossing The Threshold of Hope" by John Paul II

dee
dee Posted Sat 08 Dec, 2007 12:37 PM Quote
grammar books...
you think you know a language and then you have to go study for an exam and you find out you really do know nothing about this language you've been speaking daily for at least 15 years...
sucks

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sat 08 Dec, 2007 12:55 PM Quote
The Vieled Kingdom - Carmen Bin Ladin, a look at Saudi life, very scary in someplaces.

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nightdress - Ross O'Carroll-Kelly, the man, the lege that is Ross and the story of his son. btw d4 heads all know a Ross but curiously never actually are Ross!!??

Trainspotting - Irvine Welsh, nothing to do with trains but the Edinburgh drug scene.

The Men who Stare at Goats - Ron Jonson a look at pscych- ops in their role in the modern American army, also disturbing in places.

The Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams a trilogy in 5 parts, question everything.

Dubz

MusicGirl99
MusicGirl99 Posted Sat 08 Dec, 2007 5:35 PM Quote
Ursina wrote:
I can hear his voice while I'm reading the book. It's really quite freaky.
Have you experienced this before ?

Yes, but I can't remember for which book. Maybe it was for a movie.

I'd suggest anything by Italo Calvino. Brilliant stuff.

Monica
Monica Posted Sat 08 Dec, 2007 6:20 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:
"The Scarlet Letter" by Nathaniel Hawthorne

I have to read that book for uni! ;)

Pages Previous 1 [2] All Times BST Current Time 7:04 AM