Travis

thanks
Joanna Hanner
Joanna Hanner Posted Wed 26 Sep, 2007 5:08 PM Quote

Re: Prayer Request
cornax
cornax Posted Wed 26 Sep, 2007 5:59 PM Quote
Oh dear...kids can sure make us crazy at times! Of course I'll send my best thoughts your way. http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/froehlich/p015.gif

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Wed 26 Sep, 2007 6:14 PM Quote
Wow. Sounds like you're trying really hard to address the problem and it's still not going away. I will pray for you.

Sunny
Sunny Posted Wed 26 Sep, 2007 6:54 PM Quote
Joanna Hanner wrote:
Ok, this may sound silly but I wanted to request your prayers for my daughter Elinor. She is having trouble with biting her friends at daycare -- and we've tried everything from talking to the daycare director, psychologists/counselors, the special education district, Ellie's speech therapist and pediatrician. We've also tried using sticker sheets, rewards, time outs -- even taking away her beloved fruit snacks -- all to no avail. We are nearing the point where she will be disenrolled from daycare - and I have been having to leave work on a much too frequent basis. I am literally not sure what else to do...so if you could pray for us and for Ellie I would really appreciate it. (And while you're at it, feel free to pray for us to win the lottery so I can stay home with Ellie :) which is the solution I really wish we could make work!!).

Thanks for your help -

Joanna

Trouble with biting her friends? On the face of it it sounds like she doesn't know right from wrong. No amount of psychologists (or prayer, for that matter) will cure that problem at such a young age, it has to come from home.
Biting is usually a jealousy problem. Teaching her how to share will help a lot.

Re:
Joanna Hanner
Joanna Hanner Posted Wed 26 Sep, 2007 7:15 PM Quote

Gladly (the cross-eyed bear)
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) Posted Wed 26 Sep, 2007 8:04 PM Quote
*bites tongue* no pun intended.

Sunny
Sunny Posted Wed 26 Sep, 2007 8:07 PM Quote
Joanna Hanner wrote:
Hey Sunny -

I'm just curious -- how do you recommend that we teach her right from wrong?? My impression was that disciplining her for not acting appropriately and rewarding her when she does act appropriately, was in fact teaching her right from wrong. Clearly, I am not just praying and calling psychologists to miraculously cure her. But what we are doing isn't working and I am looking for help.

It must make life so much easier for you to judge everyone else through your obviously myopic views. Unfortunately, life is a little more complicated than that.

I'm sorry I thought you'd posted this on a band forum (thus the majority of us are not qualified in child psychology) because you wanted some opinions, not people to simply agree with you. My mistake.

SamuraiSandy
SamuraiSandy Posted Wed 26 Sep, 2007 8:40 PM Quote
Sunny wrote:
Joanna Hanner wrote:
Hey Sunny -

I'm just curious -- how do you recommend that we teach her right from wrong?? My impression was that disciplining her for not acting appropriately and rewarding her when she does act appropriately, was in fact teaching her right from wrong. Clearly, I am not just praying and calling psychologists to miraculously cure her. But what we are doing isn't working and I am looking for help.

It must make life so much easier for you to judge everyone else through your obviously myopic views. Unfortunately, life is a little more complicated than that.

I'm sorry I thought you'd posted this on a band forum (thus the majority of us are not qualified in child psychology) because you wanted some opinions, not people to simply agree with you. My mistake.

She posted this as a Prayer request...she wasn't asking for opinions OR for people to just agree with her. She was simply asking for people to pray for her/her family.

sorry..i'm not trying to start anything, i just think that what was said was a bit harsh, given that this was a situation for which Joanna was asking our help.

Joanna, I'll pray for your family.

Sunny
Sunny Posted Wed 26 Sep, 2007 8:47 PM Quote
SamuraiSandy wrote:
Sunny wrote:
Joanna Hanner wrote:
Hey Sunny -

She posted this as a Prayer request...she wasn't asking for opinions OR for people to just agree with her. She was simply asking for people to pray for her/her family.

sorry..i'm not trying to start anything, i just think that what was said was a bit harsh, given that this was a situation for which Joanna was asking our help.

Joanna, I'll pray for your family.

"I am literally not sure what else to do"

I thought that was a cue to offer an opinion. Obviously not.

Sunny
Sunny Posted Wed 26 Sep, 2007 8:48 PM Quote
double post.

SamuraiSandy
SamuraiSandy Posted Wed 26 Sep, 2007 9:01 PM Quote
Sunny wrote:

"I am literally not sure what else to do...so if you could pray for us and for Ellie I would really appreciate it."

was the entire sentence. She didn't say, I don't know what to do...what do you think i should do?

I just thought it was harsh that you suggested that her daughter didn't know right from wrong.

SamuraiSandy
SamuraiSandy Posted Wed 26 Sep, 2007 9:01 PM Quote
Sorry...double post.

Sunny
Sunny Posted Wed 26 Sep, 2007 9:05 PM Quote
SamuraiSandy wrote:
Sunny wrote:

"I am literally not sure what else to do...so if you could pray for us and for Ellie I would really appreciate it."

was the entire sentence. She didn't say, I don't know what to do...what do you think i should do?

I just thought it was harsh that you suggested that teach her daughter right from wrong.

You pick me up about mis-quoting and then do exactly the same thing. I didn't say she must teach her daughter right from wrong, kids learn that in all sorts of ways in the home.

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Wed 26 Sep, 2007 10:29 PM Quote
Hey folks, can I inject some sanity into the proceedings?!

I think it's clear that everyone here would like to help and both sides have lost sight of this. I think both have been a bit over-aggressive and it's turned into an argument instead of a discussion.

It's a very difficult problem, and I hope you can find a solution - child care sounds so simple on programs on TV, but is so hard in real life. I would never pretend to understand until I've experienced it.

Could I just say that whilst praying is a comfort for believers, non-believers would not want to, or think this helpful. Perhaps Sunny wanted a more practical, hands-on approach which she feels would work better.

I hope your problems do sort themselves out. I'll try to keep you in my thoughts.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Thu 27 Sep, 2007 12:12 AM Quote
Hi Joanna,

I hope you and your family can find a way to solve this problem. It must be really hard. Good luck...I'll pray for you. Ok? :)

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 10:51 AM