Travis

Re: What language or with what accent would you like to spea
lilly
lilly Posted Tue 14 Aug, 2007 10:34 AM Quote
DavesUrMan wrote:
Even having one myself, I've never understood what's so great about the scottish accent...(of course I'm very proud that we are pretty much the only accent that pronounces everything correctly - we only have two 'a' sounds A-> and a^, and most other accents, like english and american have about 4 "carpet, karen, waxahachie" etc, and we pronounce all of our r sounds etc...)

I guess that's exactly what makes it interesting for foreigners ;)
And...erm... well, for us Germans, English with a Scottish accents sometimes sounds a little bit as if a Swiss person was speaking English without changing his way of pronouncing letters ;D
And I like the rolled [r]. I can't do it to save my life...even though it's an essential part of the accent of my region, too *sighs*

Monica
Monica Posted Tue 14 Aug, 2007 10:59 AM Quote
lilly wrote:
plus Spanish with a Salmantinian accent

Do you like the accent from Salamanca? Well, it's better than many others, but I don't like it so much. For me, my favourite accent is the one from Madrid (mine), but a lot of people think that our way of speaking is cocky... Maybe a little bit. Definitely, I don't like the accents neither from Andalucía nor from some parts of the north.

And I'd like to speak English perfectly well, and Polish :)

lilly
lilly Posted Tue 14 Aug, 2007 11:25 AM Quote
Monica wrote:
lilly wrote:

Do you like the accent from Salamanca? Well, it's better than many others, but I don't like it so much. For me, my favourite accent is the one from Madrid (mine), but a lot of people think that our way of speaking is cocky... Maybe a little bit. Definitely, I don't like the accents neither from Andalucía nor from some parts of the north.

I love the accent from Salamanca. Maybe that's because I had my first "wow I can actually UNDERSTAND (some) Spanish" experience there ;)
I've spent only a few days in Madrid, so I'm not sure about your accent ;) - but if I'm really lucky I'll get to know the accent better next year ("only" have to get a work placement position there)

la femme qui
la femme qui Posted Tue 14 Aug, 2007 11:35 AM Quote
I'd like to speak French and German fluently, and preferably without my Indian accent :)

Monica
Monica Posted Tue 14 Aug, 2007 12:31 PM Quote
lilly wrote:
Monica wrote:
lilly wrote:

I love the accent from Salamanca. Maybe that's because I had my first "wow I can actually UNDERSTAND (some) Spanish" experience there ;)
I've spent only a few days in Madrid, so I'm not sure about your accent ;) - but if I'm really lucky I'll get to know the accent better next year ("only" have to get a work placement position there)

Are you coming to Spain to work? Where? I'm sure if you come to Madrid you'll love our accent. At least that's what my foreigner friends say! They like the way we speak, above all when we "eat" some letters at the end of some words... Of course they like it when they can understand us perfectly :p

DavesUrMan
DavesUrMan Posted Tue 14 Aug, 2007 12:41 PM Quote
Theres an italian girl at my work with a lovely accent, and I think its so much fun when she doesn't understand us or when she doesn't get our expressions (normal or not), and when she says things that sound like "I'm SO ANGRY!!" and we're all saying - "why?! who are you angry at?! what happened?" and she says "what? I do not understand...I am angry - you know really angry in my stomach....I want food!!" cos' they don't say 'h' sounds much/at all hehehehe.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Tue 14 Aug, 2007 12:42 PM Quote
Was in a old man's pub last week (the guinness is always far superior) There were various customers who knew the barman quite well asking for "a pint please, Jamesie" then an old man beside me asked for "a drop of uisce, Seamus Og"

I thought it was a nice touch A: That he said it and B: The Barman knew what he meant.

Dubz
nemo me impune lacessit

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Tue 14 Aug, 2007 12:50 PM Quote
s
DavesUrMan wrote:
Theres an italian girl at my work with a lovely accent, and I think its so much fun when she doesn't understand us or when she doesn't get our expressions (normal or not), and when she says things that sound like "I'm SO ANGRY!!" and we're all saying - "why?! who are you angry at?! what happened?" and she says "what? I do not understand...I am angry - you know really angry in my stomach....I want food!!" cos' they don't say 'h' sounds much/at all hehehehe.

Lots of stuff doesn't translate directly, I've heard Italians talking about "Agita" and Italian American's always hold their stomach when they say it, as in "so-and-so is giving me agita" meaning they are causing them problems, I guess it must mean omething like agitation but also applies to the digestive system, La Dolce Vita, C'est La Vie and Deja Vu are other which translate literally, but don't actually define exactly what they mean.

On another note I do remember Pepsi changing their slogan to "The Choice for a New Generation" but when they translated it into Vietnamese or some other Far Eastern language, it became "Pepsi can bring your ancestors back from the grave".

Dubz
nemo me impune lacessit

Tianyan
Tianyan Posted Tue 14 Aug, 2007 7:33 PM Quote
Language: Chinese, properly...not some lame arse rusty version.
Accent: I like my accent just as it is.

Lemon Grinner
Lemon Grinner Posted Tue 14 Aug, 2007 7:40 PM Quote
I'd like a Mancunian accent. For a while tho, when I was speaking normally to strangers, they thought I was Manc, dunno what they were listening to tho, I'm pure London haha.

SamuraiSandy
SamuraiSandy Posted Tue 14 Aug, 2007 7:47 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
On another note I do remember Pepsi changing their slogan to "The Choice for a New Generation" but when they translated it into Vietnamese or some other Far Eastern language, it became "Pepsi can bring your ancestors back from the grave".

Dubz
nemo me impune lacessit

lol! i'd love to hear the Vietnamese translation of that slogan...haven't heard it, but if that's what the translation was, it would be pretty funny!

Esteban
Esteban Posted Tue 14 Aug, 2007 7:50 PM Quote
Happy as I am, thanks.

AbsolutPurple
AbsolutPurple Posted Tue 14 Aug, 2007 7:52 PM Quote
ok - want to speak english, german, italian and hebrew.

and maybe one day get a life !

lilly
lilly Posted Tue 14 Aug, 2007 8:47 PM Quote
Monica wrote:
lilly wrote:
Monica wrote:
lilly wrote:

Are you coming to Spain to work? Where? I'm sure if you come to Madrid you'll love our accent. At least that's what my foreigner friends say! They like the way we speak, above all when we "eat" some letters at the end of some words... Of course they like it when they can understand us perfectly :p

Yeah, a friend of mine worked in Madrid in 2006 and she is a great fan of your accent!

And I'm trying to get a work placement position in Madrid, but it's really difficult because people just cannot ANSWER emails - or give any information about vacant positions in the future. That makes it really difficult to find something, and I might end up going to England instead. I've got an offer for a placment in Brighton, and I'll take it when I can't find sth in Spain in the next few weeks. It would be much better for me to go to Spain, though, because my Spanish has become so crappy *sighs* I need to hear people talk and to speak myself. And I think I'd feel more comfortable alone in Spain than alone in England.

AbsolutPurple
AbsolutPurple Posted Tue 14 Aug, 2007 8:50 PM Quote
once argued with some guy in a London bus and was called "norwegian bitch with a french accent"
LOL

Pages Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Next All Times BST Current Time 2:31 PM