Travis

Radio station confessions
weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Fri 27 Jul, 2007 5:29 PM Quote
So it has been difficult to keep this a secret but I had to agree to that or I couldn't come, BUT.....

My quest to get Travis a) played on any station in Austin, b) interviewed/play a set in a radio studio, and c) me be invited to watch worked!!!

DJ Jay Trachtenburg for KUT recorded an interview and live session yesterday before their show. It wasn't aired live (hence the hush hush-ness). I have no clue why they did that and I don't know when they'll air it but it was awesome. My husband and I were the only fans there and I felt incredibly lucky.

They play four tracks, "Sing", "Selfish Jean", "My Eyes", and (I think) "Eyes Wide Open." I can't believe I'm forgetting but it was a lot to take in so I apologize if I'm mistaken. Unfortunately I think they'll probably cut "Sing" because something was happening with the recording, I heard the sound engineer saying he didn't get it and they were on a tight schedule so I guess they just decided to not re-do it. However they started and stopped the beginning of "My Eyes" 2-3 times because it wasn't sounding right. I heard it too and was glad they took the time to get it correct. I also really enjoyed getting to see Fran play a 12-string acoustic.

He also asked some questions. A few things that stuck out to me were that they were really excited to go to Orlando because they had never been there- how is that possible?! Also at one point Fran slipped up and said something like, "yeah, La Zona Rosa where we're playing tonight, uh, I mean, we played." Fran also talked about how he thinks partly why they're not as big here is because they don't fit into the formats of American radio. They're not alternative enough but they're not pop enough. I completely agree with him that that is definitely a problem here for them. He said they think they just might start a radio station called "T radio fm" (or something like that) and they would play Travis and everyone else they like. They also mentioned that "My Eyes" was the next single and they were making the video for it very soon.

Then it was over and I could tell the tour peeps were trying to get them out ASAP but I did get to meet them, take pics, and get my CD signed. They all came up to me and introduced themselves (as if I didn't know) but it's just so polite and helps break down the rock star/peon wall. They stole Fran away to do so IDs (you know, the "hi this is Fran from Travis and you're listening to blah blah blah) but my husband and I chatted with Neil in the hall some. He was so friendly and enthusiastic. We gave him a huge bag filled with homemade banana bread and some Jaffa Cakes. I asked him if he was sick of getting Jaffa Cakes and he said, "they will be eaten."

[EDIT- I can't believe I forgot this part!] I told Fran that I was active on the message board and told him my user name. I said something like "I don't know if you've read any of my postings and whether or not that's a good thing" but I think he thought I said "I don't know if that's a good thing that I'm on the board" because he looked at me very intently and said, "no, that's a good thing."

SO, if you are still reading this really long post, you must be a super fan. I would like to plead especially with fans in the cities they're still going to hit to try similar tactics. Travis deserves to be on the radio and get media attention. They didn't "need" me to get that gig but I also know that the DJ only pursued them because I was emailing him (I made him brownies by the way). So perhaps you'll only succeed in getting them airtime. That's still great. But maybe they'll come to a radio station and you'll get to come. I wanted so badly to meet them but that isn't going to happen if I'm just sitting there dreaming in my room. You aren't going to get many things in life if you don't ask for them or pursue them. You got to grab the bull by the horns my friend!

(I have stepped down from my soap box now)

Re: Radio station confessions
SamuraiSandy
SamuraiSandy Posted Fri 27 Jul, 2007 5:52 PM Quote
Girl, you ROCK!! that was soooo awesome of you! you made that happen!

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Fri 27 Jul, 2007 6:13 PM Quote
SamuraiSandy wrote:
Girl, you ROCK!! that was soooo awesome of you! you made that happen!

I'm blushing.

FranFlower
FranFlower Posted Fri 27 Jul, 2007 6:40 PM Quote
Wow, that's quite an accomplishment! Congrats :)
Did the band know you were the one to get them on the radio? What did they say?

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Fri 27 Jul, 2007 7:15 PM Quote
FranFlower wrote:

I told Fran after the concert. He looked surprised and I guess happy. He just said thanks. I really hope other people try! I tried because of Nikki getting to go see them at a radio station...

alyrtle
alyrtle Posted Fri 27 Jul, 2007 7:35 PM Quote
haha you rule :D

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Fri 27 Jul, 2007 9:00 PM Quote
I wrote the DJ to thank him and here's what he wrote back:

===================================================
They were such nice guys, weren't they? And great musicians. Love those friendly and down-to-earth Glaswegians.

For no real reason, I was fearing snotty, full-of-themselves, rock stars....which is always a possibility when you walk in the door.....you never know from one interview to the next. We were lucky this time.
As we speak, I'm not sure when the interview will air....maybe next week.
========================================================

I wrote back and told him that I already knew they are the nicest rock stars you'll ever meet. I'll keep my eyes open for the interview and post a link.

Yulia Nox
Yulia Nox Posted Fri 27 Jul, 2007 10:09 PM Quote
Oh!
That's a really nice and inspiring story :)

Congrats!! ;)

Nikki
Nikki Posted Sat 28 Jul, 2007 6:21 PM Quote
weirdmominaustin wrote:
FranFlower wrote:

I told Fran after the concert. He looked surprised and I guess happy. He just said thanks. I really hope other people try! I tried because of Nikki getting to go see them at a radio station...

Oh my God! I'm SO happy for you!!! That's awesome!!!

cornax
cornax Posted Sat 28 Jul, 2007 6:28 PM Quote
That's a really fantastic story about how resistant American radio is to change but how persistence pays off! I am really lucky to live near one of the last truly independent radio stations (WRNR in Annapolis, MD) and they LOVE Travis there. It's just shame that not all of America gets to hear them. Thanks to people like you maybe that will change!

PictureInWhite
PictureInWhite Posted Sat 28 Jul, 2007 6:45 PM Quote
That is such a beautiful story and I'm glad such deserving, dedicated fans got to be invited into the process! You're right! We need more people to do this in more cities! Let's going, people!

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Sat 28 Jul, 2007 10:00 PM Quote
PictureInWhite wrote:
That is such a beautiful story and I'm glad such deserving, dedicated fans got to be invited into the process! You're right! We need more people to do this in more cities! Let's going, people!

Thanks. : ) It was great and I really really hope others will try.

Liz_77
Liz_77 Posted Mon 30 Jul, 2007 7:00 PM Quote
So funny that I came across this thread...on my way to work this morning I was thinking about how annoying it is that Travis is NEVER played on the lame radio stations here in Houston. Soo...I was thinking, "I'm going to start hounding them to play Travis..." Doubt they'll listen (I can see Austin stations having some sense, but I doubt Houston will - they play what they're told to play surely) but I'm going to try anyway!!!!

lizbeth0619
lizbeth0619 Posted Mon 30 Jul, 2007 8:53 PM Quote
That was a great story to share!! It just shows with perserverance and some good brownies... ;) things can happen!!

Detroit stations add Travis to their playlists sometimes but I wish it was more.....

goosey_84
goosey_84 Posted Mon 30 Jul, 2007 8:57 PM Quote
austin---you're awesome! =D good show!

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 6:48 PM