Travis

Burleys time is up as Scotland boss
monkey
monkey Posted Mon 16 Nov, 2009 6:34 PM Quote
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44944000/jpg/_44944800_-304.jpg

George Burley has been sacked as manager of Scotland after a poor sequence of results.

The 53-year-old former Ipswich and Hearts boss leaves the post after 22 months, along with assistants, Terry Butcher and Paul Hegarty.

Burley, who was contracted to 2012, was given a vote of confidence after a dismal World Cup qualifying campaign.

goood decision/bad decision?. who should get the job?

Mark McGhee at 14/1 is worth a punt

Craig Levein 11/4
Walter Smith 7/2
Jim Jeffries 4/1
Jimmy Calderwood 6/1
Gary McAllister 10/1
Billy Davies 12/1
Ally McCoist 14/1
Gordon Strachan 14/1
Mark McGhee 14/1
Graeme Souness 16/1
Joe Jordan 20/1
Alex McLeish 25/1
Colin Calderwood 25/1
David Moyes 25/1
Alex Ferguson 33/1

Re: Burleys time is up as Scotland boss
AbsGinger
AbsGinger Posted Mon 16 Nov, 2009 6:53 PM Quote
Arsene Wenger isn't listed ?

Gladly (the cross-eyed bear)
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) Posted Mon 16 Nov, 2009 7:43 PM Quote
None of the above.
I say we go down the foreigner route and do it properly this time.

Moray
Moray Posted Mon 16 Nov, 2009 8:04 PM Quote
Surprising to see Souness so low. Although he's not my personal preference.

It may be a shambles of a disaster, but I'd love to see Joe Jordan teaming up with Kenny Dalgleish and giving it a crack.

Otherwise I have no idea. There are no outstanding candidates.

Whats your thoughts on the whole thing Andrew / Gladders??

Its a duff group of players, on the large part. Granted. But. Wales aren't exactly world beaters and there's no way we should be rolling over 3-0 to them and making ourselves look like a Sunday league pub team all struggling with a hangover after a heavy night on the batter. So yeah, he had to go.

I just hope whoever comes in gets us back to where we were - unattractive but difficult to play against and beat. Organised and with a good team spirit, and a bit of passion. Is that too much to ask? Burley had none of that. Especially the organisation part

Also, someone who can figure out that 1. Steven Fletcher is the best striker we have and could play well with McFadden sitting off him and that 2. The midfield should be built around fletcher, one of the outstanding midfielders currently in European football, and built in exactly the same way as at Man United - in order to get the best out of him. Even with the limited resources we have we should be able to identify the right player to play alongside him.

mili
mili Posted Mon 16 Nov, 2009 8:48 PM Quote
Keith Armstrong is free.

AbsGinger
AbsGinger Posted Mon 16 Nov, 2009 9:02 PM Quote
You can have Raymond Domenech if you want to.

monkey
monkey Posted Mon 16 Nov, 2009 11:18 PM Quote
Moray wrote:
Surprising to see Souness so low. Although he's not my personal preference.

It may be a shambles of a disaster, but I'd love to see Joe Jordan teaming up with Kenny Dalgleish and giving it a crack.

Otherwise I have no idea. There are no outstanding candidates.

Whats your thoughts on the whole thing Andrew / Gladders??

Its a duff group of players, on the large part. Granted. But. Wales aren't exactly world beaters and there's no way we should be rolling over 3-0 to them and making ourselves look like a Sunday league pub team all struggling with a hangover after a heavy night on the batter. So yeah, he had to go.

I just hope whoever comes in gets us back to where we were - unattractive but difficult to play against and beat. Organised and with a good team spirit, and a bit of passion. Is that too much to ask? Burley had none of that. Especially the organisation part

Also, someone who can figure out that 1. Steven Fletcher is the best striker we have and could play well with McFadden sitting off him and that 2. The midfield should be built around fletcher, one of the outstanding midfielders currently in European football, and built in exactly the same way as at Man United - in order to get the best out of him. Even with the limited resources we have we should be able to identify the right player to play alongside him.

Souness doesn't want the job - "If it was up for grabs next week, next month or year from now I wouldn't be applying for it.

"I don't want the job. I wouldn't want the job. It's not for me at this time, my life is going in a different direction."

Totally agree about D.Fletcher. He's as close a thing we have to a world class player (which isn't really saying much)Imagine playing on the Saturday with Rooney, Betbatov, Giggs and Anderson and then playing on a Wednesday night with Kyle, Naismith, Cowie and Dorrans

I'd love to see a front line of S.Fletcher and Boyd with McFadden coming in from the left. i can dream!

I haven't a clue as to who i want for the Scotland job, whoever it is will be average at best. why would anyone want the job?

monkey
monkey Posted Mon 16 Nov, 2009 11:22 PM Quote
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) wrote:
None of the above.

like Berti Vogts?. that didn't work too well

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Tue 17 Nov, 2009 12:22 AM Quote
We can give you Sven Göran Eriksson :)

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Tue 17 Nov, 2009 12:35 AM Quote
Good !!! Fuck Off and don't let the door hit yer arse on the way oot !!!

As to a replacement I have no idea but whoever it is could they really do a worse job, The SFA must also shoulder some of the blame as I'm positive they have a say in who is playing for the national team, why do certain players who play for both sides of the Glasgow divide always get a game even when they are playing absolute gash!!!

What's John Collins up to these days ??

Dubz

*edit* I wouldn't be surprised to see Walter Smith return leaving Ally McCoist the remnants of a shite rankers team.

monkey
monkey Posted Tue 17 Nov, 2009 1:38 AM Quote
TheBoyWithAName wrote:
We can give you Sven Göran Eriksson :)

Sven-Goran Eriksson is the Notts County Director of Football. whatever that is

Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) Posted Tue 17 Nov, 2009 11:39 AM Quote
monkey wrote:
None of the above.

Clearly it would have to be someone who can actually communicate properly.
The systems we have in place for teaching football grass roots up are a nonsense and need to be ripped up.
Appointing a foreigner as A director of football / manager post would be the only way of doing this.

lilly
lilly Posted Tue 17 Nov, 2009 12:00 PM Quote
monkey wrote:
None of the above.

Clearly it would have to be someone who can actually communicate properly.

Jürgen Klinsmann! He's used to speaking English all the time, he can make dreams come true (World Cup 2006), he was sacked by Bayern Munich, what else could you wish for? The only problem could be that he probably doesn't want to move to Scotland.

Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) Posted Tue 17 Nov, 2009 12:47 PM Quote
Doesnt he live in California now? I cant see anyone leaving there to live in Scotland.

lilly
lilly Posted Tue 17 Nov, 2009 12:56 PM Quote
Doesnt he live in California now? I cant see anyone leaving there to live in Scotland.

yeah, he does. as I said, this could be a problem.

(he'd left California for Munich, but that didn't work out thanks to the narrow-mindedness of certain Bavarian club managers.)

P.S.: "You never rule anything out. Once you've experienced the emotions that football can give you, you want to continue having them." - He said that after being asked if he fancied taking charge of a Premier League team.

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 2:25 PM