Travis

Suspicious Trend
SeaofGlass3
SeaofGlass3 Posted Mon 27 Apr, 2009 4:43 AM Quote
Has anyone else noticed that Travis plays a near identical setlist at every show (at least, for the last two years)? They have 6 albums, how is it that the same songs keep getting played? Have they forgotten how to play the others? I don't understand this.

I highly doubt I will ever go to another show if it's going to be the exact same thing I've seen...3 times now. It looks like even the acoustic setlist in boston included the same songs they always play. Wouldn't an acoustic setting like that be perfect for some of the older ballads that seem to have been forgotten?

And on a final note, it is grammatically correct to say that Travis IS playing a show in Boston tonight, not Travis ARE playing a show. The band is one entity. It is comprised of many members, but it is one nonetheless. Thank you.

Re: Suspicious Trend
BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Mon 27 Apr, 2009 4:51 AM Quote
Totally wrong. They're always changing the set list. Are you on something? They've changed the set list through out the US tour and it was different in Europe too. They have to play certain songs (hit singles) as ANY band would. Travis play b-sides (Sarah, 20, Ring Out The Bell) unlike most bands and play songs from every album at every gig.

Didn't they play Coming Around in the acoustic show? A song I believe they've not played for about 5 years and Friends, a song they very rarely play.

Very, very harsh.

Edit. Just seen you say "past 2 years". I'm sorry new boardie but it's totally not true.

lindsey22295
lindsey22295 Posted Mon 27 Apr, 2009 4:56 AM Quote
Yeah I'm not actually sure where you are looking, but at least on this U.S. and Canada tour they have been playing very different set-lists from venue to venue. Of course they always include the major hits, but for the most part they mix it up. And in my opinion they have been AMAZING set-lists!

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Mon 27 Apr, 2009 5:02 AM Quote
Also I think most people would say Travis are amazing, not Travis is amazing. ;)

Still can't get over the "same set list" comment though. Incredible. They mix it round more than any other band I know of. I think most fans would say it was a strength of the bands. The fact they've been known to play requests.

Side/Eyes Wide Open/Side too which they started during this tour. As well as playing 3 Times and You Lose. Fran entering the crowd. The Ode tracks. All stuff they weren't doing 1 year ago, let alone 2. :)

Nikki
Nikki Posted Mon 27 Apr, 2009 6:11 AM Quote
LOL. Ben and Linds, I agree with you both 100 percent. They change it up all the time!!! Mentioning the acoustic set in Boston doesn't really help the argument at all either, seeing as how they played COMING AROUND and Friends. I don't get it...

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Mon 27 Apr, 2009 7:39 AM Quote
SeaofGlass3 wrote:
Has anyone else noticed that Travis plays a near identical setlist at every show (at least, for the last two years)? They have 6 albums, how is it that the same songs keep getting played? Have they forgotten how to play the others? I don't understand this.

You're right that during the TBWNN UK tour there wasn't much variety to their setlist but surely it's better to play a great setlist than to change it all the time? Anyway, they're now mixing it up a lot more. But I'm sure you can read Ben's posts to find that out :)

SeaofGlass3 wrote:
And on a final note, it is grammatically correct to say that Travis IS playing a show in Boston tonight, not Travis ARE playing a show. The band is one entity. It is comprised of many members, but it is one nonetheless. Thank you.

That's the US way of saying it, but in the UK we always refer to bands in the plural. Travis are from bonnie Scotland so that seems to be default here.

hennypenny
hennypenny Posted Mon 27 Apr, 2009 8:03 AM Quote
There was quite a difference in the setlists between the 2 weeks that I went to the shows in Seattle and Chicago. Also, I agree you don't see many other bands play b-sides(and change those often too).

milos
milos Posted Mon 27 Apr, 2009 9:17 AM Quote
I still haven't seen Travis live, but from listening to the bootlegs and reading the setlists from the tour archive, i think they do a great job of representing all their albums and the songs flow perfectly from beginning to end. Travis have six albums now, so i guess it gets hard to please everyone.

Perhaps the only thing that i would change is to add one or two more songs from the new album. They should definitely bring Song to Self back to the setlist! I hope to hear it if i see them live this summer! :)

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Mon 27 Apr, 2009 9:35 AM Quote
SeaofGlass3 wrote:

I highly doubt I will ever go to another show if it's going to be the exact same thing I've seen...3 times now. It looks like even the acoustic setlist in boston included the same songs they always play. Wouldn't an acoustic setting like that be perfect for some of the older ballads that seem to have been forgotten?

I disagree, Travis mix around their setlists alot! Like every other band they have their major hits, but they are able to build a great and varied show around those! This tour they have played Sarah, 3 Times And You Lose, Last Train, Village Man, Ring Out The Bell, Side Wide Open, Coming Around, do I have to continue?

They have 6 albums and loads of b-sides so of course it's impossible to play everything and make it sound good during a tour. Personally I prefer a comfortable Travis with a couple of aces in their sleeves, than a Travis fooling around with songs they've totally forgotten how to play. From what I know there are a few songs that have never been played live, I'm dying to hear those.

Peter76
Peter76 Posted Mon 27 Apr, 2009 10:21 AM Quote
I didn't think it was possible to complain about a Travis concert.

If you have been following what their setlists are for the North American tour you will see that they have played a lot of material that they haven't before. They are also one of the few bands I know that adds or change songs on the set to play at a moment's notice halfway through a show.

If you really want to get technical about it I would say their core hits like WDIAROM, Side, and Closer make up about half of what they play in any given set on the tour. The other half are B-Sides (Sarah), Acoustics (20), Covers (Baby One More Time / I Kissed a Girl), and rare tracks (Falling Down / 3 Times & You Lose).

So to answer your question, there is no "Suspicious Trend" of playing the same songs here. I've been to my share of their concerts, and every Travis show is different.

BUT, if it really bothers you that much, as evident by your post here, then take your own advice and simply refrain from going to a show.

Safe Side
Safe Side Posted Mon 27 Apr, 2009 2:12 PM Quote
Some gigs do have the same set list but i think its crazy to say its been the same for two years considering this time last year they played 11 new songs and then took requests at the OTJS Preview tour. I went to see them 2 nights in a row in september and the setlist was different both nights , im not having a go but its a weird statement cause Travis mix it up more than most

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Mon 27 Apr, 2009 2:20 PM Quote
And another thing to consider is that every concert is going to be someone's FIRST. People expect certain songs to be played every time.

I think they did a great job with their set lists. They played several songs off the new album. Happy to hear songs off the older albums. We got a Dougie song in Cleveland. I was more than satisfied.

seasonticket
seasonticket Posted Mon 27 Apr, 2009 2:26 PM Quote

You should hang out in the Muse forum. Fans there can accurately predict what will be played, what order, where the talky breaks will be (never)... down to when Matt will powerslide.

If a band is playing stuff they wrote ten years ago, it means it stood the test of time *and* the band like their fans. I went to a Placebo gig and they refused to play Nancy Boy, imagine that! That said, I saw Whigfield live and she played Saturday Night twice. That was kinda sad.

cornax
cornax Posted Mon 27 Apr, 2009 2:51 PM Quote
I go to one or two concerts every month. The only other bands I've seen that mix it up as much as Travis (maybe more) are Modest Mouse and Wilco. Most bands play very similar set lists every night with just a couple of changes. Many play the EXACT SAME list in the same order every night. Travis pull things out of thin air sometimes it seems. They take requests. They make changes on the spot. They try songs they haven't played in forever (or ever in the case of Out In Space) even if it means having to work really hard at remembering how to play it! I am BEYOND perplexed by this criticism! It could only be stranger if you said, "I like that Dougie but he needs to smile more!"

Peter76
Peter76 Posted Mon 27 Apr, 2009 3:02 PM Quote
I went to two Klaxons shows exactly one year apart and the the two setlists were exactly the same. Every single song in the exact same order. Granted they don't have a vast catalogue to choose from but you'd think they would mix it up a little.

Pages [1] 2 3 Next All Times BST Current Time 1:42 AM