Travis

Mature Students
Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Fri 27 Mar, 2009 12:02 PM Quote

I am considering returning to full time education. Jobs are thin on the ground and it may be a good way to ride out the recession it's also a problem that I am over experienced and under educated for my chosen profession. So a degree may be the way to go.

However at 35 (nearly 36) I am a bit apprehensive about returning to a "young man's game". Now the college I have looked at are offering a degree in Engineering but I reckon especially in this field I'll be surrounded by school leavers. Has anyone experience of being a mature student ? Most of the guys I met were complete twats but then they were trainee lawyers (and lawyers are wankers!!) I'm also a bit apprehensive about the fact I haven't been to college for 15years. That said I reckon (if it's finacially viable) I'm gonna say Fuck It!! and do it anyway.

Dubz

Re: Mature Students
AbsGinger
AbsGinger Posted Fri 27 Mar, 2009 12:29 PM Quote
Hello !

I left school at 20 and went back at 33.
Although i learned a lot about the topic i had chosen and about myself, i noticed potential employers didn't aknowlegde the efforts it implies to go back to college because it's bloody hard and i was simply told that i was the perfect person for the job but too old.
This maybe specific to France where education is given more credit than experience.

In any case go back to college if you fel like and now with recession is the right time.
Do not forget to build a network with other studentds AND most important teachers.

Gladly (the cross-eyed bear)
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) Posted Fri 27 Mar, 2009 1:13 PM Quote
I have no experience of being a mature student.
However, i would just say that re-entering the job market at 40 or near it would be quite a risk.

Would this degree be an extension of what you already know? or a complete career change?

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Fri 27 Mar, 2009 1:20 PM Quote

Ideally it would be a degree in Engineering Systems Maintanence, I've been working in Facilities for the past 5years, so it would be relevant. It's just I cn't even apply for stuff at the moment as a lot of places are looking for 3rd Level Degree, I have plenty experience and personally believe I could wipe the floor with a lot of these guys but if they are not even going to interview because of lack of a degree it might be time to get it sorted.

But I can see your point, It's only a three year degree but I won't start until Sept and would indeed be 40 by the time I'm finished. I really should have done something part time over the last 5years.

Dubz

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Fri 27 Mar, 2009 2:19 PM Quote
AbsGinger wrote:
Hello !
i was simply told that i was the perfect person for the job but too old.
This maybe specific to France where education is given more credit than experience.

Age discrimination is legal in France?

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Fri 27 Mar, 2009 2:31 PM Quote
Dubz, I finished my degree in a timely manner, but went back because the college was offering one class I thought would be interesting and help in my career. I felt like a dork surrounded by fresh high school graduates, the class was too easy for me, and I dropped the class and got my money back.

But things have changed. You may find many, ahem, young men such as yourself, going back to school. Also, if you're able to stay awake, evening classes might give you a more diverse age group of students, and you could do your studying in the day time.

OR...just thought of this...almost all universities are now offering online classes. That might be a perfect match for you. You won't have to deal with Joe Freshman, but you can earn your degree at your own pace (which may be quicker since you probably already know the material). You can also take advantage of the career placement and other things that the college may offer to grads.

fenchurch
fenchurch Posted Fri 27 Mar, 2009 5:04 PM Quote
My dad went back to college a couple of years ago. He's a maintenance engineer, and he'd worked in Irish Distillers for almost 20 years, but he'd been doing the same job for the whole time, and felt he wasn't getting anywhere. So he did night classes for two years and he loved it. Most of the people doing it were young students, and my dad would have been only a little older than you are now, but he didnt' mind, he even made loads of friends.

So I would say definetly go for it if you're interested. My dad left IDL a couple of years after that, and he's worked in a few places since, he's now working for Diageo, building a distillery in the Caribbean, a job he got both because of his experience and qualifications.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Fri 27 Mar, 2009 6:40 PM Quote
I recall having some classes with some more mature students when I was in college and to be honest sometimes they annoyed me because, as a snot-nosed young kid, I thought they were such brown nosers because they answered every single question and had soooooooo much to say.

In hindsight I think they were just more appreciative and into the classes than I was. I still think they could have dialed it back a bit because sometimes they really were dominating the class but my view has changed now that I am older.

I can't imagine going back to school now. It's partly just getting back into the flow of studying and writing papers and whatever but for me it's more it would be so challenging with two small children.

But for you, I say go for it. You'll get back into the school thing soon enough I'm sure. And I agree that it will ultimately be better for your career.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Fri 27 Mar, 2009 8:27 PM Quote
weirdmom wrote:

In hindsight I think they were just more appreciative and into the classes than I was. I still think they could have dialed it back a bit because sometimes they really were dominating the class but my view has changed now that I am older.

true , I found it easy to keep my nose to the grindstone and get good grades and make it easier to snagg schlorship money I think cause I was over 30 then

Peewee
Peewee Posted Fri 27 Mar, 2009 8:46 PM Quote
weirdmom wrote:
I recall having some classes with some more mature students when I was in college and to be honest sometimes they annoyed me because, as a snot-nosed young kid, I thought they were such brown nosers because they answered every single question and had soooooooo much to say.

I agree with Anne! When I was in Uni doing Psychology we had a few mature students in there 30/40's. They were really into it all and got AMAZING results. I think you should go for it Dubz!

hennypenny
hennypenny Posted Sat 28 Mar, 2009 3:17 AM Quote
I think if you can you should do it, because you might look back in a couple of years and regret that you didn't. I wish you luck with whatever you decide to do:)

Moray
Moray Posted Sun 29 Mar, 2009 8:31 PM Quote
Hey Dubz, whats your Engineering Discipline?? I know you're involved in yachts

Have you registered with a relevant institute? IMechE, IET, etc? Because they've opened up new routes to get to become an Incorporated Engineer (IEng) or even Chartered Engineer (CEng), aimed at folk who have come through the apprenticeship / trade routes and have gained good, relevant Engineering experience without having necessarily gained a degree. They take all the 'on the job' experience into account. Might be worth looking at. Companies would look more favourably on someone without a degree, but with IEng / CEng than they would on somebody with a Degree but no IEng / CEng. If that makes sense. And would be something relatively straightforward to achieve - some paperwork and an interview - assuming you have all the relevant experience.

Just thinking out loud!!

cosmic
cosmic Posted Mon 30 Mar, 2009 1:43 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

I am considering returning to full time education. Jobs are thin on the ground and it may be a good way to ride out the recession it's also a problem that I am over experienced and under educated for my chosen profession. So a degree may be the way to go.

However at 35 (nearly 36) I am a bit apprehensive about returning to a "young man's game". Now the college I have looked at are offering a degree in Engineering but I reckon especially in this field I'll be surrounded by school leavers. Has anyone experience of being a mature student ? Most of the guys I met were complete twats but then they were trainee lawyers (and lawyers are wankers!!) I'm also a bit apprehensive about the fact I haven't been to college for 15years. That said I reckon (if it's finacially viable) I'm gonna say Fuck It!! and do it anyway.

Dubz

Hey, I'm in my final year at uni just now, I'm 22 - 23 in a few short weeks and I'm at RGU. I wouldn't say uni is so much a young man's game now as there's quite a few mature students out there now. Across my course 5 across my course and that's Law/Law and Management (haha, about your line about lawyers - its a snooty profession, I didn't get an interview for one traineeship I applied for and I'm 2 As off getting a First!! Dammit! and yeah there are some right knobs in our class - hahaha). Anyway, I was in a class a few years back and we had engineering students in with us and there was heaps of mature students in there. I also know someone from home who has gone back to uni and she's in her 40s and says she loves it. I would definitely say go for it! I don't think its much of a big deal about being the oldest in your class. You find that a lot of the younger people in your class will get to know you, especially those that are keen to learn like yourself as they know you're just about as dedicated as you are. Best bit of advice I can give you is to get to know them well and you're laughing.

cosmic
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

Dubz

Hey, I'm in my final year at uni just now, I'm 22 - 23 in a few short weeks and I'm at RGU. I wouldn't say uni is so much a young man's game now as there's quite a few mature students out there now. Across my course 5 across my course and that's Law/Law and Management (haha, about your line about lawyers - its a snooty profession, I didn't get an interview for one traineeship I applied for and I'm 2 As off getting a First!! Dammit! and yeah there are some right knobs in our class - hahaha). Anyway, I was in a class a few years back and we had engineering students in with us and there was heaps of mature students in there. I also know someone from home who has gone back to uni and she's in her 40s and says she loves it. I would definitely say go for it! I don't think its much of a big deal about being the oldest in your class. You find that a lot of the younger people in your class will get to know you, especially those that are keen to learn like yourself as they know you're just about as dedicated as you are. Best bit of advice I can give you is to get to know them well and you're laughing.

cosmic
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

Dubz

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 5:53 AM