Travis

Re: Superstitions.....?
Nikki
Nikki Posted Mon 01 Dec, 2008 4:50 PM Quote
Moray wrote:
High Five Nikki!

In your FACE people who say we're insane. We're not - we're just really lucky!!

I get really annoyed at first time passengers in my car when they start fiddling with the volume control. I end up going "EVEN NUMBER!! FOR F*CKS SAKE, EVEN NUMBER!!!!". I try and tell them at the start of the journey, but they always forget. They soon learn though.

LMAO!

Kristy- I don't say "shut out" or "hat trick" during a game. Bad luck!

minnmess
minnmess Posted Mon 01 Dec, 2008 4:58 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
Moray wrote:
High Five Nikki!

In your FACE people who say we're insane. We're not - we're just really lucky!!

I get really annoyed at first time passengers in my car when they start fiddling with the volume control. I end up going "EVEN NUMBER!! FOR F*CKS SAKE, EVEN NUMBER!!!!". I try and tell them at the start of the journey, but they always forget. They soon learn though.

No wonder people don't offer to pay for gas when you drive them someplace.

HA!

Right Nikki, dont say hattrick either. But shutout is much worse. There is a commentator for TSN who doesnt believe in that and will say it, and he colour commentator dude always yells at him.

Gladly (the cross-eyed bear)
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) Posted Mon 01 Dec, 2008 5:02 PM Quote
Knowing nothing about hockey. Could you explain why you shouldnt shout these things?

minnmess
minnmess Posted Mon 01 Dec, 2008 5:05 PM Quote
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) wrote:
Knowing nothing about hockey. Could you explain why you shouldnt shout these things?

Well you can say if it is 3-2 or something, but it is considered bad luck, and jinxing the goalie if he/she is working on a shutout, and you say it. Whether to them, or in the stands, at home, in the commentators booth.

In baseball there is a similar belief is a pitcher has a no hitter going, or a perfect game. You will often see a pitcher sitting far away from everyone in the dugout and no one will go near them or talk to them for fear of jinxing.

Peewee
Peewee Posted Mon 01 Dec, 2008 5:09 PM Quote
Everytime I see magpies I have to say the rhyme in my head of bad luck befalls me. I also don't tend to walk under ladders but not out of bad luck, just don't want anything dropping on me. Also, the salt thing over the shoulder....I do that. emmm can't think of anything else right now.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Mon 01 Dec, 2008 5:14 PM Quote
hahahaha, Nikki!
So, i was looking for an actual explaination of the shutout thing, beyond what i said (although that's pretty much all i found..tradition, jinxing, etc) and someone wrote this in a thread about it:
Please note, these are not my words

"Maybe your friends are idiots...Or Wings fans, which sadly can go hand in hand at times."

Sorry Sandwich, lol.

I dont believe in all those normal superstitions. I will walk under a ladder, step on a crack, dont believe I will have bad luck if i break a mirror, will open an umbrella indoors, a go chase after a black kitty and give it a hug. I'm still alive, they cant be so bad.

DavesUrMan
DavesUrMan Posted Mon 01 Dec, 2008 5:45 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
hahahaha, Nikki!
So, i was looking for an actual explaination of the shutout thing, beyond what i said (although that's pretty much all i found..tradition, jinxing, etc) and someone wrote this in a thread about it:

"Maybe your friends are idiots...Or Wings fans, which sadly can go hand in hand at times."

Sorry Sandwich, lol.

I dont believe in all those normal superstitions. I will walk under a ladder, step on a crack, dont believe I will have bad luck if i break a mirror, will open an umbrella indoors, a go chase after a black kitty and give it a hug. I'm still alive, they cant be so bad.

the funny thing is though, the minute something horrible or death befalls you, there will be plenty of folk saying "its all those ladders, mirrors, umberellas and cats she mucked about with thats the cause"

Also, you could walk under a ladder today and have someone take a note, and f nothing bad happens to you for 60 years, then something unlucky happens, itll be put down to that

minnmess
minnmess Posted Mon 01 Dec, 2008 5:47 PM Quote
well i would tell them to shove it.

AbsGinger
AbsGinger Posted Mon 01 Dec, 2008 5:59 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
well i would tell them to shove it.

Mrs Heinz' style ?

Nikki
Nikki Posted Mon 01 Dec, 2008 6:11 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
hahahaha, Nikki!

Sorry Sandwich, lol.

Well, whoever said that is just extremely jealous of the Champs, that’s all. They can shove it. :)

fenchurch
fenchurch Posted Mon 01 Dec, 2008 9:08 PM Quote
I'm superstitious when it suits me, I knock on wood, salute magpies and cross my fingers under ladders but only cos it's habit. I've broken three mirrors in the past few months though, so i've stopped believing that one.

My mom isn't superstitious much, but she never let us dress up as the devil for halloween, anything else but not the devil.

AbsGinger
AbsGinger Posted Mon 01 Dec, 2008 9:21 PM Quote
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) wrote:
Moray wrote:
This is going to make me sound insane - but I can't have any volume controls on an odd number or I get really freaked out. This includes car stereo, TV, DVD player, cd player, amp etc.

It doesn't matter if 10 is inappropriately quiet, 12 too loud and 11 just right. It's got to be even.

For the record, I have no issues with analogue (i.e. no numbers) controls.

I think it's because my dad was in a really bad car crash when I was young and joked that he had the stereo on 13. My sisters both have the same superstition.

You are correct , it does make you sound insane.

hahahaha !

Pages Previous 1 [2] All Times BST Current Time 4:40 AM