Travis

Superstitions.....?
DavesUrMan
DavesUrMan Posted Mon 01 Dec, 2008 1:11 PM Quote
Anyone have any interesting superstitions?
Bad luck breaking mirrors?
Black Cats?
Walking under Ladders?

Or maybe you have to say or do something if you walk over a drain like my friend does - walking over one drain means you have to walk over two more - do you have any unusual remedies for these superstitions?

Or do you perhaps partake in crystal therapy, reiki, fortune tellers?

How do you feel about the fact that you indulge in any of the above?

Re: Superstitions.....?
Hanne
Hanne Posted Mon 01 Dec, 2008 1:44 PM Quote
I'm not really superstitious though I do the knock-on-wood thing out of habit.

My granny was extremely superstitious. She'd even put an extra plate on the table if we were 13 at the table.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Mon 01 Dec, 2008 2:37 PM Quote
During Red Wings games I have to wrap my Wings blanket around myself and if it’s a really tense point in a game, I have to move from my spot on the couch to the floor an kneel in front of the TV, lol! :D

Gladly (the cross-eyed bear)
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) Posted Mon 01 Dec, 2008 3:30 PM Quote
Its the people who say they have lucky underpants that scare me.

Do they ever wash them?

Peculiar
Peculiar Posted Mon 01 Dec, 2008 4:01 PM Quote
There was one my friend told me which was never split a pole with a friend. ie if you and a friend are walking and come across a lamp post you should pass on the same side of it. Thought that one was quite interesting lol

sorry angel
sorry angel Posted Mon 01 Dec, 2008 4:05 PM Quote
i like the one about lighting cigarettes with the same light/fire. The superstition is that you should never light 3 ciggies with the same light. It comes from the first world war in the trenches : at the first cigarette lit the ennemy would see you, at the second he would prepare his gun and at the third he would shoot. Therefore stop at 2 ciggies.

Moray
Moray Posted Mon 01 Dec, 2008 4:25 PM Quote
This is going to make me sound insane - but I can't have any volume controls on an odd number or I get really freaked out. This includes car stereo, TV, DVD player, cd player, amp etc.

It doesn't matter if 10 is inappropriately quiet, 12 too loud and 11 just right. It's got to be even.

For the record, I have no issues with analogue (i.e. no numbers) controls.

I think it's because my dad was in a really bad car crash when I was young and joked that he had the stereo on 13. My sisters both have the same superstition.

AbsGinger
AbsGinger Posted Mon 01 Dec, 2008 4:27 PM Quote
I'm superstitous when it comes to dating boardies.

Gladly (the cross-eyed bear)
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) Posted Mon 01 Dec, 2008 4:31 PM Quote
Moray wrote:
This is going to make me sound insane - but I can't have any volume controls on an odd number or I get really freaked out. This includes car stereo, TV, DVD player, cd player, amp etc.

It doesn't matter if 10 is inappropriately quiet, 12 too loud and 11 just right. It's got to be even.

I think it's because my dad was in a really bad car crash when I was young and joked that he had the stereo on 13. My sisters both have the same superstition.

You are correct , it does make you sound insane.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Mon 01 Dec, 2008 4:33 PM Quote
Moray wrote:

Ya, that is a little nutty, but atleast you have a kind of reason!
Hmm, when I play hockey Im always the last off the ice. And i tent to wear the same thing at all Sens games. But hockey players are crazy superstitious, so that is super mild.
There are other things, sports related, but they are more habits than superstitions. I dont think the world will end because I dont do them. Oh, but never say "shutout" during a game!

Nikki
Nikki Posted Mon 01 Dec, 2008 4:41 PM Quote
Moray wrote:

OMG HOW WEIRD, Moray! My brother and I do this too!!! The volume for both TV and radio have to be on an even number!! I thought we were the only people who did that! LOL! And if we're watching a Wings game and the other team scores, my brother will change the volume on the TV either up or down to the next even number cuz that volume was "bad luck." LOL!

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Mon 01 Dec, 2008 4:43 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
Oh, but never say "shutout" during a game!

Of course not. You say "shut oout."

Moray
Moray Posted Mon 01 Dec, 2008 4:45 PM Quote
High Five Nikki!

In your FACE people who say we're insane. We're not - we're just really lucky!!

I get really annoyed at first time passengers in my car when they start fiddling with the volume control. I end up going "EVEN NUMBER!! FOR F*CKS SAKE, EVEN NUMBER!!!!". I try and tell them at the start of the journey, but they always forget. They soon learn though.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Mon 01 Dec, 2008 4:46 PM Quote
Moray wrote:
High Five Nikki!

In your FACE people who say we're insane. We're not - we're just really lucky!!

I get really annoyed at first time passengers in my car when they start fiddling with the volume control. I end up going "EVEN NUMBER!! FOR F*CKS SAKE, EVEN NUMBER!!!!". I try and tell them at the start of the journey, but they always forget. They soon learn though.

No wonder people don't offer to pay for gas when you drive them someplace.

Joe
Joe Posted Mon 01 Dec, 2008 4:50 PM Quote
You know why it's bad luck to walk under ladders?

'Cause there's generally a guy working with heavy tools like a hammer or an axe on top. That's why.

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 4:45 AM