Travis

Re: Battling with depression
sorry angel
sorry angel Posted Fri 28 Nov, 2008 4:53 PM Quote
Lemon Grinner wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

2. On the Dubz/Grinner comment, I know that I am guilty of posting that I'm "aff me tits" regularly and I can't speak for Lil'Grin but most boozeheads seriously enjoy being in this state and would like others to share in that feeling, much like the need to tell someone when you're down, some others like to tell people when they are up. I think Grin in fairness was interested rather than being obtuse.
Dubz

Aye, I agree with that - when I'm pissed I'm really happy and I wanna share it with people.
And yeah, I was genuinely interested. I'm the kind of person that will ask questions if I don't understand, I don't fuck about or play games. I'm not a dick.

I fear you guys see my comment as negative and feel the need to justify yourselves when in my opinion there is nothing wrong or negative about your pissed posts and my comment was not negative or judgmental but simply showing the difference between us all and our interests and posts.
It's great to share, happy or unhappy.
Cheers!

Lemon Grinner
Lemon Grinner Posted Fri 28 Nov, 2008 4:55 PM Quote
sorry angel wrote:
Cheers!

Unless it's STDs...

Hah.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Fri 28 Nov, 2008 5:02 PM Quote
I was surprised Abs shared on the board because she has been more private about it in the past but if she wants to share I think that is her business.

People can disagree with that. My problem is when people share their differing viewpoint in a way I think is rude. My rule of thumb is this: I won't post something here that I wouldn't say to your face. Maybe what some people have posted is something they would say to her face and that is how we differ.

I've shared before that I had pretty significant post partum depression after having my children. I am not comfortable sharing many details publicly (though I am more open on a one-to-one basis) but I will say the first few months of their lives were a very dark and scary time for me. For me the depression was very biologically and hormonally based. Sure there were circumstances but especially because mine was clearly caused by the pregnancy hormones messing up my chemical balance, I needed drugs. I know for sure that the drugs saved my life.

They did not change my personality; rather, they gave me my personality back. And there came a point where I could tell I didn't need them anymore so I carefully and slowly weaned myself off of them.

I still have the usual ups and downs (though I suspect my downs are lower than someone who hasn't gone through a true depression before) but I can use what I learned in therapy to deal with it effectively.

sorry angel
sorry angel Posted Fri 28 Nov, 2008 5:04 PM Quote
Lemon Grinner wrote:
sorry angel wrote:
Cheers!

Unless it's STDs...

Hah.

Sorry i need a translation on that one, remember i am a frog! What's STDs

AbsGinger
AbsGinger Posted Fri 28 Nov, 2008 5:05 PM Quote
The thing is that i had the feeling i was pretending everything was ok and that i was feeling well and happy in my posts when i've been having a real though time for more than a year.

Lemon Grinner
Lemon Grinner Posted Fri 28 Nov, 2008 5:05 PM Quote
sorry angel wrote:
Lemon Grinner wrote:
sorry angel wrote:
Cheers!

Unless it's STDs...

Hah.

Sexually transmitted diseases... :P

sorry angel
sorry angel Posted Fri 28 Nov, 2008 5:07 PM Quote
weirdmom wrote:
I was surprised Abs shared on the board because she has been more private about it in the past but if she wants to share I think that is her business.

People can disagree with that. My problem is when people share their differing viewpoint in a way I think is rude. My rule of thumb is this: I won't post something here that I wouldn't say to your face. Maybe what some people have posted is something they would say to her face and that is how we differ.

I've shared before that I had pretty significant post partum depression after having my children. I am not comfortable sharing many details publicly (though I am more open on a one-to-one basis) but I will say the first few months of their lives were a very dark and scary time for me. For me the depression was very biologically and hormonally based. Sure there were circumstances but especially because mine was clearly caused by the pregnancy hormones messing up my chemical balance, I needed drugs. I know for sure that the drugs saved my life.

They did not change my personality; rather, they gave me my personality back. And there came a point where I could tell I didn't need them anymore so I carefully and slowly weaned myself off of them.

I still have the usual ups and downs (though I suspect my downs are lower than someone who hasn't gone through a true depression before) but I can use what I learned in therapy to deal with it effectively.

Merci, as you know I have been through a similar experience and your post is just perfect in explaning what it can be like.

AbsGinger
AbsGinger Posted Fri 28 Nov, 2008 5:08 PM Quote
Lemon Grinner wrote:
sorry angel wrote:
Lemon Grinner wrote:
sorry angel wrote:
Cheers!

Unless it's STDs...

Hah.

Sexually transmitted diseases... :P

like ?

sorry angel
sorry angel Posted Fri 28 Nov, 2008 5:23 PM Quote
AbsGinger wrote:
The thing is that i had the feeling i was pretending everything was ok and that i was feeling well and happy in my posts when i've been having a real though time for more than a year.

and how did sharing that make you feel? Better?

Nell
Nell Posted Fri 28 Nov, 2008 5:41 PM Quote
sorry angel wrote:
Nell wrote:

Not so sure about meds though. Any one has experience with that? Fran's against it too... I don't know..but doesn't it change you're character? I mean - are you the same person after taking such pills? (seriously I don't know - so I'm not judging)

I have. Antidepressants do not change your personnality at all and I can assure you that you are the same person except that you are not feeling depressed or suicidal! So that's pretty helpful innit!!
Some medications boost the amount of serotonin in your body and that enables you to be more emotionnally balanced and stable. Your thoughts, opinions, feelings...everything is exactly the same except that instead of feeling low, tired, overwhelmed by negative thougths and feelings you feel you can deal with things. A lot of those issues are actually to do with the 'chemical' balance in you (hormones often) and some people are biologically more subject to depression than others. Therapies etc...help but they can not always be the only help. I believe Fran went through hypnotherapy (he mentionned it in an interview last year talking about 12memories). The process was about fixing memories. I went through that kind of therapy a few years ago and it was amazing, really fantastic and I moved on. But later on I found other problems and I became very very depressed like never before. At that point the situation was so critical that after 2 months under St John's wort which didn't help I was prescribed antidepressants (like prozac but different one). It changed my life, and I repeat myself it saved it.
Antidepressants are not calming pills, sleeping pills or pills for hallucinations. Those kind of pills I don't know anything about but I believe are more addictive and problematic, not sure.

yeah all right..but what if - that's who you are? What if you're meant to be like that. I don't mean by any higher power - I don't believe in God or anything else. But what if your low of seratonin or your high of melatoning enables you ways of thinking you wouldn't have.
(Don't missunderstand me - I'm happy you're alive). You said it yourself you start to think different, right? Is it not the thinking that makes us the person we are? I get blue, when I hear some special songs, I feel blue when I see a sundown, ...what if you look at a painting and suddendly you don't feel the same anymore. Or you're listening to a song and this special - maybe sad- feeling u had before is gone? Do you get what I'm afraid of?

I'd rather let my stress out on a kind of - other way...not healthy but it helps...kinda...

Nell
Nell Posted Fri 28 Nov, 2008 5:44 PM Quote
sorry angel wrote:
AbsGinger wrote:

and how did sharing that make you feel? Better?

i guess ur not alone anymore?

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Fri 28 Nov, 2008 5:51 PM Quote
Nell wrote:
sorry angel wrote:
Nell wrote:

Not so sure about meds though. Any one has experience with that? Fran's against it too... I don't know..but doesn't it change you're character? I mean - are you the same person after taking such pills? (seriously I don't know - so I'm not judging)

I have. Antidepressants do not change your personnality at all and I can assure you that you are the same person except that you are not feeling depressed or suicidal! So that's pretty helpful innit!!
Some medications boost the amount of serotonin in your body and that enables you to be more emotionnally balanced and stable. Your thoughts, opinions, feelings...everything is exactly the same except that instead of feeling low, tired, overwhelmed by negative thougths and feelings you feel you can deal with things. A lot of those issues are actually to do with the 'chemical' balance in you (hormones often) and some people are biologically more subject to depression than others. Therapies etc...help but they can not always be the only help. I believe Fran went through hypnotherapy (he mentionned it in an interview last year talking about 12memories). The process was about fixing memories. I went through that kind of therapy a few years ago and it was amazing, really fantastic and I moved on. But later on I found other problems and I became very very depressed like never before. At that point the situation was so critical that after 2 months under St John's wort which didn't help I was prescribed antidepressants (like prozac but different one). It changed my life, and I repeat myself it saved it.
Antidepressants are not calming pills, sleeping pills or pills for hallucinations. Those kind of pills I don't know anything about but I believe are more addictive and problematic, not sure.

yeah all right..but what if - that's who you are? What if you're meant to be like that. I don't mean by any higher power - I don't believe in God or anything else. But what if your low of seratonin or your high of melatoning enables you ways of thinking you wouldn't have.
(Don't missunderstand me - I'm happy you're alive). You said it yourself you start to think different, right? Is it not the thinking that makes us the person we are? I get blue, when I hear some special songs, I feel blue when I see a sundown, ...what if you look at a painting and suddendly you don't feel the same anymore. Or you're listening to a song and this special - maybe sad- feeling u had before is gone? Do you get what I'm afraid of?

I'd rather let my stress out on a kind of - other way...not healthy but it helps...kinda...

You don't turn into a numb zombie when you go on medication. It is more like a safety net that keeps you from falling too low. Dangerously low.

Edit: And Nora, I do get your point and agree with it to a certain extent. I still definitely felt things while on medication - good and bad.

My point is that true clinical depression is a chemical issue. It sometimes can be addressed and changed with talk therapy but sometimes more is needed. When that is true it's a medical condition just as valid as, for example, diabetes.

So it would be like saying to a diabetic "don't take your insulin, your body is just doing what it's meant to do."

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Fri 28 Nov, 2008 5:55 PM Quote
I won't write much more in this thread as I feel I've been so open about it that I want to be, but I find what all of you write very interesting!
It's very helpful to hear others experiences with depression....

I don't think that people, who haven't suffer from a difficult depression understands that the medicine is necessary though. I don't know how I will feel after the pills, but for the last 5 years I've been in a very dark place that isn't me either, so I don't want to be there any longer...Better to take some pills, than doing something more drastic about it...

sorry angel
sorry angel Posted Fri 28 Nov, 2008 6:08 PM Quote
weirdmom wrote:
Nell wrote:

You don't turn into a numb zombie when you go on medication. It is more like a safety net that keeps you from falling too low. Dangerously low.

Exactly, it prevents you from going dangerously low.
It doesn't make you think, see, feel different on things. What you feel is a gorgeous or a sad song remains like that. But instead of seeing a glass half empty you see it half full. I give you a clear example. In June I felt so depressed I had very very dangerous and dark thoughts going through my mind and those thoughts were so unreasonnable and not me at all, I felt taken by a whirlpool towards ending things. One month before one of my best friend killed himself and that devastated me at a moment when I was still fragile after the birth of our baby. It's called PPD (Weirdmom explained it very well) and it can be a case of life or death. When my doctor prescribed the pills I cried because I never had to take pills like that and i felt shit about myself, particuarly since I had the most gorgeous gift in life, a 3 months old baby boy so I had no reason to be depressed. Yet I was and the whirlpool continued and increased fuelled by the negative thoughts the depression gave me about myself. The medication helped me temendously and stopped that devastating process. We all have up and downs and sometimes we do feel very low but at 41 years old you do know yourself quite well and when a low becomes suicidal thoughts there is someting seriously wrong and you take the help you can get. My friend Pascal took the other exit and he left more pain behind us that he thought of at the time. Depression is an illness and it can be cured and sometimes it can't and it stay with you all your life but whichever it's fucking painful. If that's who you are as you said, then it's up to you to live like that or leave life. But those thoughts are only passing by, and life is stronger if you want to live it. And life is worth some pills that will change a bit the way you see things : glass half full is nicer than half empty I'm telling you.

sorry angel
sorry angel Posted Fri 28 Nov, 2008 6:14 PM Quote
TheBoyWithAName wrote:
I won't write much more in this thread as I feel I've been so open about it that I want to be, but I find what all of you write very interesting!
It's very helpful to hear others experiences with depression....

I don't think that people, who haven't suffer from a difficult depression understands that the medicine is necessary though. I don't know how I will feel after the pills, but for the last 5 years I've been in a very dark place that isn't me either, so I don't want to be there any longer...Better to take some pills, than doing something more drastic about it...

Very pleased to have shared all this with you, big hug dear!

Pages Previous 1...2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 Next All Times BST Current Time 8:14 AM