Travis

Re: Battling with depression
Tonie
Tonie Posted Fri 28 Nov, 2008 1:26 PM Quote
sorry angel wrote:

I agree with the logic of your analysis and the freedom of opinion and debate but I disagree with the contents of The point here is not Strongbow's opinion because it's fine to have this opinion it's the form, the tone it was written which makes it unacceptable in a place of friendship and support.

I did say that I thought Strongbow's comment was harsh, did I not?

Also, keeping things real, this is only a place of friendship and support for the people you consider your friends and supporters. But it's not your private meeting place. Literally anyone can post here. If it's private, talk about it in a pm. Otherwise, I'm sorry, but it's open season.

And I don't mean to be aggressive, but the forum is only as touchy feely as the posters who respond.

I think that you are lucky that so many people do support you, and it's a great thing that so many people respond positively here.

But you have to accept that not everyone will be as supportive as you might wish them to be.

AbsGinger
AbsGinger Posted Fri 28 Nov, 2008 1:28 PM Quote
Lemon Grinner wrote:
I just find it strange that you feel the need to tell the whole world about it through a public messageboard, but if it works for you then why not eh!

Like you never entertain us with your "I'm fucked wasted" posts ?

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Fri 28 Nov, 2008 1:33 PM Quote
Everyone's entitled to write whatever they want on a forum like this, but you must also be ready to take the consequences. Some people likes to keep things less personal and some thinks it's great that people share.

As long as people show respect I'm open for anything. There's no need to humiliate a person just becuase he/she thinks or feels differently. If you don't have anything constructive to say and just want to leave some patronizing comment, keep it to yourself.

Thank you all lovely boardies for showing your support!
And Fred, hope you'll have a nice weekend! =)
This messageboard is an escape from everything that's though, let it continue to be that!

Peace, Love and Understanding folks ;)

Lemon Grinner
Lemon Grinner Posted Fri 28 Nov, 2008 1:55 PM Quote
AbsGinger wrote:
Lemon Grinner wrote:
I just find it strange that you feel the need to tell the whole world about it through a public messageboard, but if it works for you then why not eh!

Like you never entertain us with your "I'm fucked wasted" posts ?

Listen, I'm not having a dig at you alrite! I'm just trying to understand why you'd wanna talk about something so personal on a place where anyone in the world can read it. That's all.

Ursina
Ursina Posted Fri 28 Nov, 2008 2:19 PM Quote
AbsGinger wrote:
Not the 1st time but i've been feeling very low for a couple of weeks.

to me this is just a post from someone who needs cheering up, a kind word, a hug. Not an analysis whether it is clinical depression or just feeling low ! for that surely no one here is qualified.
So I can't see why this post is too 'personal' to be here ??

Anyways ** big Hugs* and ((((((good cheerful vibes)))))) to you Fred
sina:)

sorry angel
sorry angel Posted Fri 28 Nov, 2008 2:23 PM Quote
Tonie wrote:

Also, keeping things real, this is only a place of friendship and support for the people you consider your friends and supporters. But it's not your private meeting place. Literally anyone can post here. If it's private, talk about it in a pm. Otherwise, I'm sorry, but it's open season.

And I don't mean to be aggressive, but the forum is only as touchy feely as the posters who respond.

I think that you are lucky that so many people do support you, and it's a great thing that so many people respond positively here.

But you have to accept that not everyone will be as supportive as you might wish them to be.

Yes you did say that it was harsh and there's no problem here.
Of course not everybody can be or want to be supportive but in this case anybody can choose to remain silent and avoid beeing judgemental. Since there are written rules about this board like any other it is not open to anything. As for the unwritten rule of politeness, fairness, respect it's just like in the street, you can be rude and mean and judgmental in real life and this is not right, therefore it isn't in this place either.

sorry angel
sorry angel Posted Fri 28 Nov, 2008 2:27 PM Quote
Lemon Grinner wrote:

I'm just trying to understand why you'd wanna talk about something so personal on a place where anyone in the world can read it. That's all.

Perhaps precisely because the whole world can read it you hope to feel less lonely...

sorry angel
sorry angel Posted Fri 28 Nov, 2008 2:28 PM Quote
Ursina wrote:

to me this is just a post from someone who needs cheering up, a kind word, a hug. Not an analysis whether it is clinical depression or just feeling low ! for that surely no one here is qualified.
So I can't see why this post is too 'personal' to be here ??

Anyways ** big Hugs* and ((((((good cheerful vibes)))))) to you Fred
sina:)

Absolument madame Gruyère!

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Fri 28 Nov, 2008 3:04 PM Quote

I was gonna post on this a few days ago but declined, however now I do feel the need to say something.

1 F.A.O. Strongbow - who the fuck do you think you are ?? First of all what makes you a fucking expert in depression, I do happen to know a bit about the subject and you can be diagnosed after hours... never mind weeks you pretentious wank and don't bother coming back to tell me it's you or someone close to you that suffers from it because if that was the case you'd be far more understanding. Stop and think for a minute. I'm not a huge defender of Absy's antics at times but if she can share on this board instead of taking a more serious or drastic action then surey that is a small price to pay. Sorry she inconvienenced you ya wank.

2. On the Dubz/Grinner comment, I know that I am guilty of posting that I'm "aff me tits" regularly and I can't speak for Lil'Grin but most boozeheads seriously enjoy being in this state and would like others to share in that feeling, much like the need to tell someone when you're down, some others like to tell people when they are up. I think Grin in fairness was interested rather than being obtuse.

Dubz

Tonie
Tonie Posted Fri 28 Nov, 2008 3:06 PM Quote
sorry angel wrote:
Tonie wrote:

Yes you did say that it was harsh and there's no problem here.
Of course not everybody can be or want to be supportive but in this case anybody can choose to remain silent and avoid beeing judgemental. Since there are written rules about this board like any other it is not open to anything. As for the unwritten rule of politeness, fairness, respect it's just like in the street, you can be rude and mean and judgmental in real life and this is not right, therefore it isn't in this place either.

There's nothing wrong with what you're saying, but you also might consider my other comment about all posts being open to agreement or otherwise.

I have said all along that if posting in this thread helps you, then fair play, and I truly wish you well.

The tone of Strongbow's remarks was more aggressive than needs be, perhaps, but you cannot force people to be silent if they have an opinion.

It's dodgy ground to pass opinion on somebody's mental health, and potentially harmful. But the fact remains that the conversation is public. If you take the conversation to a more private arena, whether it be online or face to face. Whether it be amoung friends or with a professional, you are far more guaranteed to get the 100% solidarity and support, which you clearly need and deserve.

I have no quarrel with you at all, I hope you understand that. I just think that this is a dangerous place to expose your vulnerable side, and if asked (and I know that's not the case!), I would suggest alternative places to discuss such a sensitive subject.

sorry angel
sorry angel Posted Fri 28 Nov, 2008 3:46 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

2. On the Dubz/Grinner comment, I know that I am guilty of posting that I'm "aff me tits" regularly and I can't speak for Lil'Grin but most boozeheads seriously enjoy being in this state and would like others to share in that feeling, much like the need to tell someone when you're down, some others like to tell people when they are up. I think Grin in fairness was interested rather than being obtuse.

Dubz

It's precisely what I meant and I don't consider you're guilty of anything. Aren't you pissed already?

sorry angel
sorry angel Posted Fri 28 Nov, 2008 4:02 PM Quote
Tonie wrote:

There's nothing wrong with what you're saying, but you also might consider my other comment about all posts being open to agreement or otherwise.

I have said all along that if posting in this thread helps you, then fair play, and I truly wish you well.

The tone of Strongbow's remarks was more aggressive than needs be, perhaps, but you cannot force people to be silent if they have an opinion.

It's dodgy ground to pass opinion on somebody's mental health, and potentially harmful. But the fact remains that the conversation is public. If you take the conversation to a more private arena, whether it be online or face to face. Whether it be amoung friends or with a professional, you are far more guaranteed to get the 100% solidarity and support, which you clearly need and deserve.

I have no quarrel with you at all, I hope you understand that. I just think that this is a dangerous place to expose your vulnerable side, and if asked (and I know that's not the case!), I would suggest alternative places to discuss such a sensitive subject.

I have the impression that you think I'm Absy...and you are misreading my posts. I am pleased you're saying you're not having a quarrel with me since I am just having a chat here, when I quarrel I go straight to the point by telling people to fuck off ;-))
I have already discussed above what you say hasn't been adressed. In fact we agree, and I think it is not necessary to go on about stuff that we agree on.
It's elegant to remain silent instead of falling in the easy trap of judgements. Again I agree with you on freedom of debate and you agree with me on the harsh tone...so all is fine then.

Nell
Nell Posted Fri 28 Nov, 2008 4:11 PM Quote

If people take posts like this serious, if people would really care - instead of just making fun out of anything - if so, then I see no danger in posting personal things.

Of course you open up your vulnerable side...that's why I find this pretty brave- and good. And since there are more people here you can expect more answers, more experiences...
But you know, only where there are vultures "meat" is in danger (bad translation, sorry found nothing better in E)

So the question's not what kind person it is who writes things like this, but what kind of person responds to it - ... if you don't care - why read it? why answer at all?

I think if you're a person who's also able to think about more than jus football and what's for dinner - then you can also talk about things like - depression - or other themes that are made to be a taboo.

If you ask somebody how he is, just out of a flowery phrase and you'd expect nothing else than a "fine, u"? ...Then - you probably shouldn't even be in here?
Sorrry..but this discussion just made me really angry...

How the hell did you guys end up diskussing this thing..

and now to the actual theme, although I forgot her name:

I think it's very wise and brave to seek for help! I couldn't do it - wouldn't know how. I can't imagine to go somewhere, - like meet somebody and tell him/her my probs - without her/him being involved in my life before...sometimes I wish I could - would make my life a whole lot easier.
But then again, I'd have to explain myself in front of my family...they'd be against such things....but I'm totally for it...so....

Not so sure about meds though. Any one has experience with that? Fran's against it too... I don't know..but doesn't it change you're character? I mean - are you the same person after taking such pills? (seriously I don't know - so I'm not judging)

Ok.. enough for one day...

Nora

Lemon Grinner
Lemon Grinner Posted Fri 28 Nov, 2008 4:31 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

Dubz

Aye, I agree with that - when I'm pissed I'm really happy and I wanna share it with people.
And yeah, I was genuinely interested. I'm the kind of person that will ask questions if I don't understand, I don't fuck about or play games. I'm not a dick.

sorry angel
sorry angel Posted Fri 28 Nov, 2008 4:42 PM Quote
Nell wrote:

Not so sure about meds though. Any one has experience with that? Fran's against it too... I don't know..but doesn't it change you're character? I mean - are you the same person after taking such pills? (seriously I don't know - so I'm not judging)

I have. Antidepressants do not change your personnality at all and I can assure you that you are the same person except that you are not feeling depressed or suicidal! So that's pretty helpful innit!!
Some medications boost the amount of serotonin in your body and that enables you to be more emotionnally balanced and stable. Your thoughts, opinions, feelings...everything is exactly the same except that instead of feeling low, tired, overwhelmed by negative thougths and feelings you feel you can deal with things. A lot of those issues are actually to do with the 'chemical' balance in you (hormones often) and some people are biologically more subject to depression than others. Therapies etc...help but they can not always be the only help. I believe Fran went through hypnotherapy (he mentionned it in an interview last year talking about 12memories). The process was about fixing memories. I went through that kind of therapy a few years ago and it was amazing, really fantastic and I moved on. But later on I found other problems and I became very very depressed like never before. At that point the situation was so critical that after 2 months under St John's wort which didn't help I was prescribed antidepressants (like prozac but different one). It changed my life, and I repeat myself it saved it.
Antidepressants are not calming pills, sleeping pills or pills for hallucinations. Those kind of pills I don't know anything about but I believe are more addictive and problematic, not sure.

Pages Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Times BST Current Time 2:14 PM