Travis

What's your name?
OHMEATPIES
OHMEATPIES Posted Sun 09 Nov, 2008 9:06 PM Quote
I have noticed people here sometimes call each other by their (what I believe is) real name. I'm way too dumb to understand who's who, but I wondered what kind of names people have here.

Mine is Odélie.
Pronouced in french.
It's a germanic name meaning wealth. It's pretty rare and old. It was my great grandmother's.

What's yours?

Re: What's your name?
mili
mili Posted Sun 09 Nov, 2008 9:40 PM Quote
Pleased to meet you, Odélie! I always enjoy seeing your nick, it's funny.
I'm Mili, and my name is rare in Finland, but apparently exist in the Swedish nameday calendar. It's short fot Emilia. When my parents chose it, it was still in the nameday list of Finnish names, but was removed the following year due to lack of interest, I suppose.

Hanne
Hanne Posted Sun 09 Nov, 2008 9:44 PM Quote
My name in real life is also Hanne. Pretty common name here so it's not exactly exotic.

It's a short version of Johanne, which is the female version of the name Johannes. That again is pretty much the same as John, so in the Danish translation of the Bible, John the Baptist is called Johannes Døberen. I suppose you can say that my name is semi-biblical :oP

mili
mili Posted Sun 09 Nov, 2008 9:50 PM Quote
Hanne wrote:
My name in real life is also Hanne. Pretty common name here so it's not exactly exotic.

It's a short version of Johanne, which is the female version of the name Johannes. That again is pretty much the same as John, so in the Danish translation of the Bible, John the Baptist is called Johannes Døberen. I suppose you can say that my name is semi-biblical :oP

My middle name is Johanna, so we're sort of namesakes. The name Johanna runs in the family, several generations before me had the name and now my daughter has it as middle name, too.

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Sun 09 Nov, 2008 9:56 PM Quote
James. Nice to meet you by real name!

This thread could be very useful if everyone posts!

minnmess
minnmess Posted Sun 09 Nov, 2008 9:59 PM Quote
I'm Kristy. Or Kris to a lot of people.
It isnt short for Kristina, or Kristin, or anything. It is just Kristy. And constantly spelled incorrectly.
It has the same meaning as all of those though. Follower of Christ.
Kind of ironic considering I stopped going to church when I was 5 because it interfered with hockey practice.

Hanne
Hanne Posted Sun 09 Nov, 2008 10:03 PM Quote
mili wrote:

My middle name is Johanna, so we're sort of namesakes. The name Johanna runs in the family, several generations before me had the name and now my daughter has it as middle name, too.

I actually like Johanne/Johanna better than just Hanne. A lot of girls in my family have the middle name Luise after my grandmother, but my parents just gave my brother and I a first and last name to keep it simple :o) Oh, and Hanne isn't a family name, my mum just liked it. When she was a child, her doll was called Hanne :o)

Meridith
Meridith Posted Sun 09 Nov, 2008 10:19 PM Quote
Nice to meet you Odélie! You have a beautiful name! My real name is Meridith, which apparently is Welsh and means great lord. I think it's not too common of a name here. It's constantly being misspelled though, as the common way to spell it is Meredith. Anyway, most people call me Meridith or Mer and sometimes even Meri.

TK23
TK23 Posted Sun 09 Nov, 2008 10:44 PM Quote
My name is Tylar. Just like Tyler, only spelled nicer. ; )

hennypenny
hennypenny Posted Sun 09 Nov, 2008 10:57 PM Quote
My name is Lindsay. Nice to meet you:)

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Sun 09 Nov, 2008 11:05 PM Quote
Ricv64 = Jorge , I don't know why but it does

Isa_travis
Isa_travis Posted Sun 09 Nov, 2008 11:13 PM Quote
My name is Isabel, it is the spanish version for Elisabeth ^^

Nikki
Nikki Posted Sun 09 Nov, 2008 11:24 PM Quote
Nicole :)

kiwi
kiwi Posted Mon 10 Nov, 2008 12:23 AM Quote
My name is Hannah, middle name: Marian, confirmation name: Sofia

Coincidentally, my mum was actually telling me last night how she chose it :). She said it's because she was going through her 'religious' phase, and found the name in the Book of Samuel (I checked this when I was 13, lol) Samuel was Hannah's son. It's Hebrew, and means 'God has favoured me.'

Mum works as a midwife in Ireland and was telling a lady a few days ago how she named me, and the lady decided to call her new baby Hannah Marian lol.

physke
physke Posted Mon 10 Nov, 2008 12:31 AM Quote
Great topic!
My name's Gozde. (with double dots on 'o'). It means 'favorite'. Nice to meet you all in real names:)

Pages [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Times BST Current Time 4:07 PM