Travis

Re: Ross and Brand
spid
spid Posted Wed 29 Oct, 2008 3:51 PM Quote
Kristy wrote:
Tonie wrote:

I brought up the subject yesterday, when this was a relatively low key showbiz issue. Look at it now! Ridiculous.

A lot of those "complaints" to Ofcom will be people jumping on the bandwagon, obviously. But I think people are already concerned with the way so-called celebs are allowed to get away with this kind of thing.
Andrew Sachs wouldn't be the first person I'd think of to make a prank call to (alright, Brand slept with his grandaughter, if the rumours are true), but Andrew Sachs ... what's he ever done to anybody?

To put it into perspective, James Whale was sacked from TalkSport for talking about Boris Johnson in a favourable way during the London elections. This was an error of judgment which went out live, not pre-recorded - it slipped out, as things can on radio.
Ross and Brand made a series of vulgar phone call to an unsuspecting old man which was pre-recorded and was checked by various producers.
There should be a few more suspensions or sackings IMO.

I hadn't heard of this until this morning when it was on prime time breakfast news. Now then, i think that adults in a powerful position like both Brand and Ross are should know better. This was the equivalent of Happy Slapping - abuse someone, film it, broadcast it. It's an offense. It's abusive. It's bullying. It's illegal. Personally, I'm glad it's made such big headlines and been made into a big issue as it might show those youngsters who think this sort of behaviour (and filming a person commit suicide - as recently happened) is okay - that actually it isn't. I'd like to think that most people live by a basic moral code and whether or not you like/ know an 'abused' person you can stand up for what is right. Bullying someone by making an abusive phone call is bad enough, to then broadcast it to the nation is awful. For those of you that think this is nothing try stepping into Sasch's shoes and imagine how you would feel if someone said those things about your grand-daughter (whether they are true or not - it is the manner that is vindictive) and then published it. I hope that empathy flows.

Now obviously this is my opinion and I think I am right - and my head regularily sits where the sun don't shine, I don't read the mail, nor any other newspaper, i don't believe every word the media publish and I don't underestimate the media's power either. It all boils down to basic morality - simple.

Tonie
Tonie Posted Wed 29 Oct, 2008 4:03 PM Quote
dee wrote:
ross and brand have been cheered for years for being irreverent so why does everybody turn on them all of a sudden?

This

and this

spid wrote:
For those of you that think this is nothing try stepping into Sasch's shoes and imagine how you would feel if someone said those things about your grand-daughter (whether they are true or not - it is the manner that is vindictive) and then published it.

I agree with both of these comments, and am feeling pulled in both directions.

The bandwagon complainers,together with the media, have blown the whole issue out of proportion. It was tasteless, it was hurtful, but to be this big of a deal....?

BUT Dee is correct in her description of the kind of humour that Ross and Brand peddle.

AND I agree with Spid that I'd hate to have my family prank-called in such a public way. (Not that it would ever happen of course...)

This is a very nasty business, on many levels.

Moray
Moray Posted Wed 29 Oct, 2008 4:24 PM Quote
The irony for me is that, were I in Sachs situation, I'd find the continued media attention, the repeated reprinting of the comments, the focussed attention on his grandaughter, the pictures of her that are appearing out the woodwork in the public domain since, the girls admission to the press about her relationship with Brand, etc, I'd find that far more offensive and damaging than I would have the comments in the first place.

It may be a form of bullying, but a simple apology to Sachs and private reprimand to the two of them from the beeb would surely have sufficed. How is this furore benefitting anyone? It's just making a whole bunch of people look like prats.

It's not like Brand & Ross are schoolkids, and are struggling to grasp right from wrong. They're adults. If what they did was illegal, let Sachs press charges. If it's not let the companies internal disciplinary procedures deal with it.

Seriously, it's complete madness the attention it's got. And I can't see how it should be highlighted as a shining beacon of affirmative action. The same sort of people that think this sort of stunt will make kids go out and start making prank phonecalls are the same sort of people who think Marilyn Manson caused high school shootings.

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Wed 29 Oct, 2008 4:36 PM Quote
spid wrote:

This was the equivalent of Happy Slapping - abuse someone, film it, broadcast it. It's an offense. It's abusive. It's bullying. It's illegal. Personally, I'm glad it's made such big headlines and been made into a big issue as it might show those youngsters who think this sort of behaviour (and filming a person commit suicide - as recently happened) is okay - that actually it isn't.

Oh please, how can you compare it to filming a person commiting suicide?!
When I was listening to the show it didn't even cross my mind that anyone would make such a big deal out of it. Of course it was crossing the line. But Ross and Brand had been known for doing exactly this for years!
Besides, Ross apologized, sent flowers and so on, so if Sachs really wants to protect his and his Satanic Slut granddaugher's dignity, he should just accept his apologies and make this nonsense stop!

Don't you think it's ridiculous: after it aired there were 2 (!) complaints, now, over a week later there are over 10 000. I bet not even 10% of the 'offended' people listened to the show.

spid
spid Posted Wed 29 Oct, 2008 5:14 PM Quote
megg_inc wrote:

Oh please, how can you compare it to filming a person commiting suicide?!

That wasn't what i said - i didn't compare that specific behaviour to the Roos/ Brand incident; just the behaviour (typically from the young mobile phone generation) that accompanies the 'morality' behind happy slapping etc - i.e. that is okay to intrude on someones life for the sake of entertainment. WHen the poor young boy was on the roof and needed help a significant proportion of the youngsters in the crowd filmed him on their mobiles and bayed for blood chanting 'jump, jump!' - it is not a question of being the same but the moral standing of those people. Ross and Brand are older (and should be wiser) and are under an obligation to present socially and morally acceptable TV - by prank calling, verbally bullying and broadcasting it they are condoning an activity that is all too prevelant in the younger elements of our society. An activity that is at times taken to extremes (as in the jumpers case). The presice details of the activity are unimportant now - whereas the basic moral structure of soicety is undermined.

Now i don't think either presenter should be greatly punished (and never said i did think so - I tried to bring the conversation away from the specific and more into a debate that might end up a little less heated) - I think an apology (public, as the offence was public) is adequate. If the BBC wish to fine the two as well then great - it might pay for another good drama!) i don't think they need suspending either. But i do think that the issue runs deeper and could create a great discussion on morality and social responsibility.

I do agree that our media is capable of create a bloody hurricane in a teacup and they are incredibly superficial. However, does that mean we shouldn't question our society and culture. Does everyone have the right to do what ever they want and never have to take responsiblity? As indeed these two have. Can the greater implications of the condonement of this tpye of behaviour not be seen? And can the greater implications of knowing that someone in a powerful position has admitted that they were in the wrong and apologised not be seen as good? Cannot the lesson be learnt?

It has been blown out of proportion - apologies have been sent (hopefully heartfelt ones) - but this doesn't mean we can't discuss it (and preferably nicely) and explore the subject on a deeper level.

It's the editor and producer that really need their heads examining for allowing it to be broadcast in the first place. Somewhere the buck has to stop and really it's with them.

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Wed 29 Oct, 2008 5:47 PM Quote
Both this thread and the national outburst show that this is a contentious area for many people.

I didn't listen to the show and still haven't. I think that the show appears to have been in failry poor taste, but probably shouldn't have become this big. But maybe something needs saying about some of the issues in it, whether that is what the BBC are broadcasting or what the public wants to hear. As for Gordon Brown commenting, I really can't see why he would care in the slightest :S

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Wed 29 Oct, 2008 6:09 PM Quote
Apperently Sachs accepted the apologies but Brand resigned. Blah.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Wed 29 Oct, 2008 6:16 PM Quote
"I've loved working for the BBC and am very proud of the shows myself, Matt Morgan, Nic Philps, Mr Gee and Noel Gallagher have made and I apologise to all of them for damaging their careers - except Noel, whose band are doing quite well."
that made me laugh.

I bet Noel is sad though. Darran, let us know if he says anything tonight.

Darran
Darran Posted Wed 29 Oct, 2008 6:32 PM Quote
Aye, I will do.

About to head out, Whooooop WHOOOOOOOOP!!

minnmess
minnmess Posted Wed 29 Oct, 2008 6:40 PM Quote
Darran wrote:
Aye, I will do.

About to head out, Whooooop WHOOOOOOOOP!!

HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and i just thought of a bad pun. Let us know if he "talks tonight" ha. get it? okay, i said it was bad.
Now i have Talk Tonight in my head.
"I wanna talk tonight. About how you saved my life...."

spid
spid Posted Wed 29 Oct, 2008 6:50 PM Quote
Sachs sounded calm and sincere. He isn't making a fuss. I was impressed by his demeanor.

Peewee
Peewee Posted Wed 29 Oct, 2008 7:17 PM Quote
What a pile of pants, and I haven't even heard it! Actually I don't know much about what everyone is ranting about....sounds like a lot of wasted air in my opinion! lol (I don't read newspapers or watch the news much).

WHO CARES!

That Brand one is a pillock anyway, should expect that crap from him and well Ross is renowned for his gags.

dee
dee Posted Wed 29 Oct, 2008 7:37 PM Quote
as if this has killed brand's career.
this was the man who turned up for work on mtv the day after the twin towers attack dressed as osama bin laden.

i suspect his book will top the best sellers list this weekend

Safe Side
Safe Side Posted Wed 29 Oct, 2008 10:52 PM Quote
Im a huge fan of the show its the best thing on Radio, it seems to have come by totaly chance that the this thing has happend cause the usual co-host wasnt on. I listined to the show and didnt really find it offencive and out of the 400,000 people there was only 2 complaints and they were about the swearing rather than the content.....obviously it was a bit out of line but nothing amazingly bad i mean at the end of the day the grandaughter thhey have offended is in a dance group called "the satanic sluts" im sure shes heard worse....

What scares me is that this went unnoticed for almost 2 weeks until the Daily Mail picked up on it and the 2 complaints have rose to 30,000 most of whom havent listined to the show. It scares me that the daily mail has that much power because it is just an awful publication, that promotes light racism and just general hate and scare moungering

nesmap
nesmap Posted Wed 29 Oct, 2008 11:54 PM Quote
What a load of bollocks this all is

People need to get a life!

Pages Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Next All Times BST Current Time 7:02 PM