Travis

Ross and Brand
Tonie
Tonie Posted Tue 28 Oct, 2008 2:07 PM Quote
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2008/oct/28/jonathan-ross-russell-brand-radio

Should they be sacked?

Who is to blame?

What, if any, should be the consequences of this?

Re: Ross and Brand
Darran
Darran Posted Tue 28 Oct, 2008 2:19 PM Quote
They both had books out last week...

Gladly (the cross-eyed bear)
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) Posted Tue 28 Oct, 2008 2:22 PM Quote
I have a feeling Brand might get put up as the sacrifice for this.

Tonie
Tonie Posted Tue 28 Oct, 2008 3:26 PM Quote
Mmmm I'd forgotten about the publicity/ book launch etc. But it is a bit cynical, isn't it?

I think JR will probably survive, but in the aftermath, his career could go either way. Either it'll be that all publicity is good publicity, and he'll keep his adoring fans. Or the sheen will wear off pretty quickly, and it'll be the begining of the end of his reign of big bucks at the BBC.

Russell Brand is expendable. I love his humour, but I agree with Gladly - he's not as valuable a commodity.

On the surface, it seems like both guys made a huge lapse of judgement. I'd like to know both sides of the story.

Joe
Joe Posted Tue 28 Oct, 2008 4:28 PM Quote
Brand is up and coming in the U.S., and does anyone in the U.S. listen to B.B.C. Radio 2? Does anyone in the U.K. listen to Radio 2, apart from middle-aged house wives?

Ross is used to pushing the envelope, so I doubt this will affect him. It'll all be forgotten by the time we're watching them on Christmas telly.

Not very fairplay, though.

Darran
Darran Posted Tue 28 Oct, 2008 4:33 PM Quote
I listen to Radio 2 everyday in work, it's awesome.

AC/DC to Oasis to Thin Lizzy to Take That to ELO.

Great stuff.

Gladly (the cross-eyed bear)
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) Posted Tue 28 Oct, 2008 4:35 PM Quote
Radio2 is actually worth listening to on Saturdays. Mark Radcliffe and Stuart Marconie during the week are worth listening to also.

Moray
Moray Posted Tue 28 Oct, 2008 4:35 PM Quote
Whats all the fuss about here? It was a stupid prank granted but not one that should warrant the level of media attention its garnered to date.

I'll be honest, I don't care. I don't care about Andrew Sachs, and haven't for years. I don't listen to Johnathon Ross or Russell Brand, so don't care. And how is it much different to when Jeremy Beadle ran over somebodies car in a tank for our amusement so many years ago?

To be honest all I took from this story was "I wonder if Andrew Sachs Grandaughter is hot?"

Joe
Joe Posted Tue 28 Oct, 2008 5:08 PM Quote
Good point. I just Googled her and came up with:
this article

and this
http://file004a.bebo.com/large/2006/01/30/16/242599832a242675526b243764795l.jpg She's the one in the middle.

So "yes", would be the answer to that question.

Moray
Moray Posted Tue 28 Oct, 2008 5:37 PM Quote
The other salient point is, by the looks of it Russell Brand probably did fuck her, so what he said is probably not even libeloous. Instead just true.

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Tue 28 Oct, 2008 5:43 PM Quote
His granddaughter is a Satanic Slut and now he's oh so offended because two lads said few not so nice things about her? I think it was unnecessary of course (and mean) but people are overreacting.

I don't think it will affect Ross in any way and Brand... well, this guy is known for doing worse things, isn't he?

Also, aren't people kinda slow? It aired over a week ago and suddenly in the last, what, 2 days or so it became such a big deal and everyone's offended. Pah-lease.

Tonie
Tonie Posted Tue 28 Oct, 2008 7:41 PM Quote
There are 2 sides to every story. The girl in question is an aspiring page 3 model. So presumably she has few inhibitions.

I think that the lapse in judgement was the slightly tasteless decision to make the call live on air. No matter who the family is, it's a bit unpleasant to be discussed in that way to the listening public. Unpleasant for everyone, for that matter. Mildly amusing until you take on board that it's a real person they're talking about.

Does the fact that Andrew Sachs is a "veteran actor" give the complaint greater credence? He's certainly coming across as a "gentleman" who has suffered....Is he milking it a bit perhaps?

I just wonder how much these 2 guys who, lets face it, are very popular, will fall from grace.

ps. I also like R2, especially on Saturdays. I like JR's meanderings, and Dermot's music sessions. As I seem to spend most of my Saturdays in the car, it's good company.

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Tue 28 Oct, 2008 7:52 PM Quote
The thing is, he said worse things about her the week before (something about a hot bath if I'm correct;)- and no one gave a sh*t. What's so different now? I don't really get it.

Tonie
Tonie Posted Tue 28 Oct, 2008 8:26 PM Quote
I'm guessing the worse things of the previous week weren't phoned through to Grandpa live on air, and then put on youtube for the whole world to hear...

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Tue 28 Oct, 2008 8:37 PM Quote
Well I guess the Grandpa was aware of what he was doing when he agreed to be on the show (or at least he should've been) known for its offensive contents.

And for the record, it wasn't live. The show was pre-recorded.

Pages [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Times BST Current Time 8:40 AM