Travis

Re: Today's News of YOU
Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Wed 09 Dec, 2009 12:01 AM Quote
I have 5.7 collesteroll which according to my flat mate means I'm going to be deID by the time she passes her midwifferey exams.

Dubz

AbsGinger
AbsGinger Posted Wed 09 Dec, 2009 6:42 AM Quote
minnmess wrote:
lilly wrote:
I'm going to my hairdresser's next week. My hair is getting way too long (well it's still kinda shortish but I like it shorter I think)... AND I really need to have my picture taken (professionally) for job applications *sigh*

you submit photos with job applications??

Why you don't ?

lilly
lilly Posted Wed 09 Dec, 2009 12:25 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
lilly wrote:
I'm going to my hairdresser's next week. My hair is getting way too long (well it's still kinda shortish but I like it shorter I think)... AND I really need to have my picture taken (professionally) for job applications *sigh*

you submit photos with job applications??

I know, it's STUPID, but in Germany this is still very common. I think the "Anglophone" way(s) to do these things is MUCH better, I don't like German-style applications at all. Some companies here are not asking for a photograph anymore, but most HR people still like seeing stupid pictures of people posing stupidly... ARGH... it's so unfair. discriminating. wrrroooong... *sigh*

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Wed 09 Dec, 2009 3:27 PM Quote
Definitely no pictures!! In fact larger companies that have a Human Resources department that pre screens resumes before passing them on will black out things like dates of when you graduated college so you can't be discriminated against due to age (either way- young or old). Of couse you can still usually guess but still. There is NO way you could get away with requesting a photo. Maybe a strip club or plastic surgeon's office.

lilly
lilly Posted Wed 09 Dec, 2009 4:01 PM Quote
weirdmom wrote:
Definitely no pictures!! In fact larger companies that have a Human Resources department that pre screens resumes before passing them on will black out things like dates of when you graduated college so you can't be discriminated against due to age (either way- young or old). Of couse you can still usually guess but still. There is NO way you could get away with requesting a photo. Maybe a strip club or plastic surgeon's office.

I know. I actually had classes on "How to write British and American style applications", and I've never felt comfortable with the German way to do these things. I mean they can't tell me people are not influenced by the photos... it's very unfair and old-fashioned...

Anyway, I need a stupid picture *sigh*.

AbsGinger
AbsGinger Posted Wed 09 Dec, 2009 4:17 PM Quote
weirdmom wrote:

I know about this and the same works in France too but it would be unrealistic to think it doesn't help if you are caucasian and good looking.
I'm still against adding my picture to my resume but if it helps....i will do it.

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Wed 09 Dec, 2009 5:20 PM Quote

A student from one of the Seminars we did this year at work just came by my office and brought me a bunch of jasmines, just because I did what any normal person would have and helped her out. She was so sweet! Civil servants should always be helpful in theory, but since in real life they're not and I am, I got flowers. This is what happens when you're a nice, helpful bureaucrat. :oP

mili
mili Posted Wed 09 Dec, 2009 5:30 PM Quote
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window wrote:

A student from one of the Seminars we did this year at work just came by my office and brought me a bunch of jasmines, just because I did what any normal person would have and helped her out. She was so sweet! Civil servants should always be helpful in theory, but since in real life they're not and I am, I got flowers. This is what happens when you're a nice, helpful bureaucrat. :oP

Good for you! Keep it up, we need people like you.

dee
dee Posted Wed 09 Dec, 2009 5:34 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
I have 5.7 collesteroll which according to my flat mate means I'm going to be deID by the time she passes her midwifferey exams.

Dubz

we'll just have to keep distracting her from studying so...

AbsGinger
AbsGinger Posted Wed 09 Dec, 2009 5:59 PM Quote
Busy day :
went to H&M, the post office, local market
looked for a job
washed clothes
edited shoes and labelled the boxes with type of shoe/colour/brand

goosey_84
goosey_84 Posted Thu 10 Dec, 2009 9:52 PM Quote
officially decided to return to La Cita tomorrow night and chat with bartender who caught my eye last week.

so far we've got a name...Brian.

AbsGinger
AbsGinger Posted Thu 10 Dec, 2009 10:36 PM Quote
goosey_84 wrote:
officially decided to return to La Cita tomorrow night and chat with bartender who caught my eye last week.

so far we've got a name...Brian.

Go for it puma cub !

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Sat 12 Dec, 2009 4:41 AM Quote
I thought my evening will be miserable and lonely. It turned out to be generally awesome. We danced to 'All I Want For Christmas' until 5 in the morning.

AbsGinger
AbsGinger Posted Sat 12 Dec, 2009 3:18 PM Quote
5° celcius outside...watching dvd and drinking tea.

fenchurch
fenchurch Posted Sat 12 Dec, 2009 5:11 PM Quote
AbsGinger wrote:
5° celcius outside...watching dvd and drinking tea.

Aw I wish I could drink tea, but my throath seems to be trying to kill me. So I'm taking lots of Solpadine, which is the strongest painkiller I have ever come across, makes you feel kinda drunk. It's wonderful.

In other news, got Christmas tree today! That means I have to start thinking of Christmas shopping...

Pages Previous 1...108 109 110 111 [112] 113 114 115 116 117 118 Next All Times BST Current Time 6:48 AM