Travis

Re: Where R U from? (Countries, Cities, Stories)
Nell
Nell Posted Sat 18 Oct, 2008 4:13 PM Quote
fenchurch wrote:
Born and bred in Ireland, Cork to be precise :) I'd never really want to move too far away from Ireland for too long, I love it here! I would love to live in London when I'm older though. However, my dad is moving to the Virgin Islands for two years, so I'll be living there for some months of the year :)

Ireland? That's cool...My friends and me are planing a trip to London Glasgow, Ireland (Dublin), Berlin, Amsterdam and than back here...: Wondering: What kind of language are you folks speaking? Cos all the Irish people I've ever seen seemed to be speaking English. (With some funy accent though :) :))
But I was told, it's not actually your first language, is it?

Can you write something in it? ;) (and translate it?)

that would be amazing :)

Nora

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sat 18 Oct, 2008 4:49 PM Quote
In Ireland most people spak English as a first language, there are a few exceptions, Places in Connemara known as the Gaeltacht where some people speak Irish (Gaelic) or As Gaeilge, there is a National Irish TV station known as TG4 (T.G. Ceathair) or T'na'G (Telilifis na Gaeilge). Kids are also taught compulsory Irish in school, most of them only remember one phrase....An bhfuil cead agam dul go dtí an leithreas ??

Courtesy of Dee...

An bhfuil tusa ag labhairt liomsa?
(on will tu-sah egg low-wort lum-sa)

Are You Talking to Me ?

Dubz

Monica
Monica Posted Sat 18 Oct, 2008 5:13 PM Quote
I was born in Madrid and I've always lived here. Short story :p

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sat 18 Oct, 2008 5:25 PM Quote
Mise = Me (meesa)
Tusa = You (toosa)
Sine = That's it (Shin-"A")
Leaba = Bed (laba)
astor = My Love (a-stor)
Bainne = Milk (bonn-ya)
Slainte = Cheers, literaly Health (Slan-sche)
Pogue = Kiss (poge)
Anois = Now (anish)
Cailin = Girl (colleen)
Bothar = Road (bothar)
Mo Chroi = My Heart (mo cree)

Dubz

lilly
lilly Posted Sat 18 Oct, 2008 5:40 PM Quote
Nell wrote:
lilly wrote:
Nell wrote:

I once lived in Munich - my family still does...(and I do know that kind of "national sports..." creepy though.....

Why is it creepy?
I thought it was the un-creepiest thing in the world ;D
You have to know the rules, though... and I can't even explain them because there are so MANY ;)... in one situation one expressions can mean the speaker is proud of you - and in another situation a similar expression can mean he thinks you are a horrible brat.

Well f.e.: This summer we kinda had a class-meeting of the Bournemouth 07- in Munich. It probably was a bad time to choose Munich, since it was celebrating it's 800th birthday. But nevertheless at one point we all felt very hungry and thirsty and went down to an italien restaurant to get something to drink - and a bowl of icecream. But the guy selling this stuff suddendly starts shouting at us so we went on - to the Marienplatz....(never ever eat there!) They were so unfriendly: Why? Just because we didn't dicide quick enough. The rest. was so pumped, that they kept on telling us to order or leave...(we've been there like 5 minutes or so...)

strange....

but maybe they were just overworked because of the festival....so I'm kinda feeling weird walking through those streets again - you never know what happens in Munich...

But on the other hand - They've got a greeeeeeeeeat mexican pub...great - just love it!

ok but that's not Bavarian grumpiness, that's just horrible behaviour of restaurant-staff here! Especially in the tourist-y areas AND in italian restaurants in general. There are soooo many where the staff treats you like you want to steal their livers or kidneys or something. That's really really annoying in Germany in general: People are just starting to learn what "Customer Service" is all about. I'm really fed up with getting mad at stupid shop-assistants and unfriendly waitresses... you don't have to accept their behaviour. Aaaargh, I'm getting mad by writing about them, it's soooo annoying.

Nell
Nell Posted Sat 18 Oct, 2008 6:10 PM Quote

Haha, glad it's not the bavarians in generally :)

Yeah...I should have said something - but didn't really have the curage to. You know - when your food is disgusting, or when people behave badly - you should be able to stand up for yourself and complain. Or at least fill out a complaint-form..but no....never got the guts to do so..but the next time...;)

Hey thanks for those irish-words...so this is a real "keltic-old" language - (as the name itself says..) ...must be very hard to learn it...

How is living in Scotland or Irland? Just up to know - I've only been in England. But I've seen a bit of Scotland in the TV. ...Mostly it seems very dark, rainy...with lots of moorse...but beautiful landscapes, green grasses...and a lot of sheeps and cows ;) - is that true? Did the time stop there (if so - you're lucky...)

Nora

cmr
cmr Posted Sat 18 Oct, 2008 6:41 PM Quote
I'm from Istanbul, Turkey
Born here, living here :)

fenchurch
fenchurch Posted Sat 18 Oct, 2008 7:23 PM Quote
Nell wrote:
fenchurch wrote:
Born and bred in Ireland, Cork to be precise :) I'd never really want to move too far away from Ireland for too long, I love it here! I would love to live in London when I'm older though. However, my dad is moving to the Virgin Islands for two years, so I'll be living there for some months of the year :)

Ireland? That's cool...My friends and me are planing a trip to London Glasgow, Ireland (Dublin), Berlin, Amsterdam and than back here...: Wondering: What kind of language are you folks speaking? Cos all the Irish people I've ever seen seemed to be speaking English. (With some funy accent though :) :))

Nora

I've grown up speaking English but have been learning Irish since I was five. I'm not very good but my brother is brilliant at it cos he went to an all Irish speaking school. I got him to help me with this earlier:

"Taim in ngra leat Eoghan! Agus an feidir leat an fis nua o Travis a chur ar suil le do thoil?"

Which means something like:

"I'm in love with you Eoghan! And can you play the new video from Travis please?"

Eoghan is the presenter of an Irish language music show on TG4 (see Dubs's post) and he is LOVELY! So I texted this in today :)
Oh and by the way, it's not a funny accent! It's a lovely accent! :)

DavesUrMan
DavesUrMan Posted Sat 18 Oct, 2008 8:40 PM Quote
Nell wrote:
fenchurch wrote:

Nora

why glasgow? why n0t the capital of scotland, edinburgh? theres really little other than shopping to do in glasgow...its not remotely a good representation of scotland

californiagirl
californiagirl Posted Sat 18 Oct, 2008 10:39 PM Quote
I think it should be obvious that I'm from Ulaanbaatar!

RUTHIEBABE00
RUTHIEBABE00 Posted Sat 18 Oct, 2008 11:38 PM Quote
I'm from good old Perthshire, Scotland, I love it when the sun shines.. the whole area is so pretty, especially in the autumn time ;o)

The people are friendly although are wary! The Scots around here are proud, stingy!! (don't give much away!)

I've posted this pic I took up at Tummel, near the Queens view the other day. Blue skys were gorgeous. Ths week the colours around the area are golden and stunningly beautiful!

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg239/KANGA001/DSCF3951.jpg

DavesUrMan
DavesUrMan Posted Sun 19 Oct, 2008 12:15 AM Quote
RUTHIEBABE00 wrote:
The Scots are proud, stingy!! (don't give much away!)

I HATE it when people (especially fellow scots) perpetuate that myth that we are stingy. Thats an English Falsehood which started going around in the 60s.
Most people would comment (and I completely agree) of their own admission that scots are some of the most welcoming and hospitible people in the world - and thats the message we should be sending! Certainly all the Scots I know (thousands obviously since I'm from here) are so generous and actually find it very difficult not to help or assist others just out of their own charity...

Soryr I just really hate that even if it is just a stereotype

But we are proud and we should be after our terrible 'start in life' to think all that we've accomplished including the invention of just about everything!

RUTHIEBABE00
RUTHIEBABE00 Posted Sun 19 Oct, 2008 1:17 AM Quote
DavesUrMan wrote:
RUTHIEBABE00 wrote:
The Scots are proud, stingy!! (don't give much away!)

I HATE it when people (especially fellow scots) perpetuate that myth that we are stingy. Thats an English Falsehood which started going around in the 60s.
Most people would comment (and I completely agree) of their own admission that scots are some of the most welcoming and hospitible people in the world - and thats the message we should be sending! Certainly all the Scots I know (thousands obviously since I'm from here) are so generous and actually find it very difficult not to help or assist others just out of their own charity...

Soryr I just really hate that even if it is just a stereotype

But we are proud and we should be after our terrible 'start in life' to think all that we've accomplished including the invention of just about everything!

Depending where your from!!!! Sorry to say that folk around the Perth area are definately STINGY! We are still proud folk and friendly sorry if I upset you!

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sun 19 Oct, 2008 1:39 AM Quote
Scottish people are a proud nation but maybe it's time we learned some humility. We have a massive chip on our shoulder, It's always someone else's fault, and it's time we stopped blaming everyone else and actually got up off our collective arse and did something about it.

Dubz

RUTHIEBABE00
RUTHIEBABE00 Posted Sun 19 Oct, 2008 1:52 AM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
Scottish people are a proud nation but maybe it's time we learned some humility. We have a massive chip on our shoulder, It's always someone else's fault, and it's time we stopped blaming everyone else and actually got up off our collective arse and did something about it.

Dubz

Here here! Well said! Scotland is an amazing place... but there are those who have a massive chip on their shoulders... sadly like any country it has its faults too. Shame that this thread has gone sour because of something I said... It wasn't meant to be taken too seriously ... I was only referring to the area that I live in! NOT as Scots in general!

Pages Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Next All Times BST Current Time 4:32 AM