Travis

Re: Job seeking these days
Peewee
Peewee Posted Tue 14 Oct, 2008 10:28 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

It's a goddamn nightmare!!!

I've been out of work since 24th August, I have been applying since 24th June, I've lost count of the amount of jobs I have applied for, the amount of agencies I've spoken with and I've been to two interviews. btw Thank you so kindly to all those other fuckers I applied to who didn't even have the decency to let me know (A) They'd recieved my application and/or (B) That I had been unsuccessful. You ignorant fucks.

If I had known the current economic climate was going to get so bad I may have thought twice about "jumping ship".

Mind you I did just recieve a call to tell me I have an interview with the National Library of Ireland next Tuesday.

Dubz

Wow National Library of Ireland?!?! That would be amazing....from a library geek point of view! Seriously cool. What's the job title? OMG imagine all the stuff you can browse through whilst carrying little bits of paper, looking busy! haha

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Tue 14 Oct, 2008 11:15 PM Quote
Peewee wrote:

Wow National Library of Ireland?!?! That would be amazing....from a library geek point of view! Seriously cool. What's the job title? OMG imagine all the stuff you can browse through whilst carrying little bits of paper, looking busy! haha

Science & Art Attendant

Dubz

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Tue 14 Oct, 2008 11:22 PM Quote
MariaMak wrote:
Cheers dubz, been searching them for the last few months. Nothing im qualified enough to do.

Is it so hard to get a job in the media? I'll make coffee for years if thats what it takes!!!

I'm sorta in the same boat, overqualified for a junior position and under educated for a senior position.

Have you tried the newspapers, I've heard of people who step from the papers to the radio/tv and vice versa ??

Dubz

Tonie
Tonie Posted Wed 15 Oct, 2008 11:01 AM Quote
It's hideous out there. I've just survived a redundancy sweep, but am overloaded with work. I can live with that, and given the circs am extremely glad of it, except it's still not guaranteed safe, and I reckon there'll be worse to come before the end of the year.

Mr Tonie is self employed and his work is virtually non existent at the mo. His phone has simply stopped ringing. It's a different kind of worry to unemployment, but the bottom line is still the same - bills to pay. But how to pay them?

Is anyone safe?

My mum reckons we're heading for a "days of old" barter society. She'll bake bread, in exchange for someone else's chickens, or something like that!

Kristy
Kristy Posted Wed 15 Oct, 2008 11:21 AM Quote
Tonie wrote:

Is anyone safe?

The safest people are civil servants ... I'm extremely fortunate that I'll have a job through all the crap that's happening right now.

MariaMak
MariaMak Posted Wed 15 Oct, 2008 1:00 PM Quote
Dubz, good idea. Just gna hand in my CV to the local papers eventho there are no jobs going. My writing skills wouldn't be the best but my teak making abilities are second to none lol

I can't even get my old waitressing job back and i always had that when i wanted it. Things are not good at all

Dont talk to me about the civil service. Should have joined a few months ago but i was being stubborn and now my mam is on my back. oops!

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Wed 15 Oct, 2008 4:41 PM Quote
lilly wrote:

Friends of mine are finishing uni this month, and they're all planning these lengthy trips around the world, saying they will apply for jobs afterwards... *sighs* it would be nice to have rich parents, really ;)

Or they work their butts off and save! That's what I'm doing :oP
And in my case it's just Europe. I'll finish uni next year, work like a dog the first half of the year or so in 2010, and get money to go to Europe sometime during the second half. It will be postponed if there are no Travis gigs at the moment xD.

dee
dee Posted Thu 16 Oct, 2008 1:02 PM Quote
hey maria, job seeking sucks. i spent a whole summer going to interviews, 10 in total before i finally got my job.

how's your gaeilge? tg4 are always looking for pretty giirls like yourself for stuff, you should apply for paisean fashion etc even if your irish isn't great.
i know people who have gone from just sending in applications for that to getting proper auditions in RTÉ. it's all about getting your name out there and a willingness to participate in new ideas.

lilly
lilly Posted Thu 16 Oct, 2008 2:01 PM Quote
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window wrote:
lilly wrote:

Friends of mine are finishing uni this month, and they're all planning these lengthy trips around the world, saying they will apply for jobs afterwards... *sighs* it would be nice to have rich parents, really ;)

Or they work their butts off and save! That's what I'm doing :oP
And in my case it's just Europe. I'll finish uni next year, work like a dog the first half of the year or so in 2010, and get money to go to Europe sometime during the second half. It will be postponed if there are no Travis gigs at the moment xD.

that's a good plan! But what's "just Europe" supposed to mean? ;p Europe's great! Best continent ever if you ask me. There's soooo much so see.
I'd like to do that, too, but as soon as I finish uni, I'll have to start working my butt off to pay back my students' credit...

Pages Previous 1 [2] All Times BST Current Time 2:06 AM