Travis

Job seeking these days
MariaMak
MariaMak Posted Mon 13 Oct, 2008 4:17 PM Quote
is impossible!!

I will be out of a job by the end of October. I only have a few more banquets to sing so I need a new job.

Finished college in May, graduating in November. Qualified in PR and Communications. Just want to work in radio. Applied for all radio jobs, nada!
So now, i'm settling for any other work. Hotel, shops etc and even they are hard to comeby.

This global recession sucks.

Anyone else looking for work?

Re: Job seeking these days
Darran
Darran Posted Mon 13 Oct, 2008 8:21 PM Quote
I have had no luck over about two years.

It's shocking.

lilly
lilly Posted Mon 13 Oct, 2008 11:37 PM Quote
Oh God, I have to start looking for my first "real" job in March - finishing Uni in a year, but it's crazy in Germany these days, if you don't apply at least half a year beforehand, the "good" companies won't even consider you...I'm already scared...
At the moment I'm looking for a part-time job and it's impossible to find a position that's actually paid & doesn't make studying impossible. Even shops want students to be available any day & any time...

MariaMak
MariaMak Posted Tue 14 Oct, 2008 12:56 AM Quote
Darran how are ya coping? I'd be cracking up without work.

Ya its not a great time to be finishing college anywhere. Hey maybe ask Fran for a job in Berlin ;-)

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Tue 14 Oct, 2008 2:53 AM Quote
lilly wrote:

At the moment I'm looking for a part-time job and it's impossible to find a position that's actually paid & doesn't make studying impossible. Even shops want students to be available any day & any time...

The same thing happens in Argentina.
I used to work for a music school and they were cool with my uni scheadule, but the pay wasn't good.
I resigned the other week because I got an internship in public administration. It's 4 hours a day and the pay is better (or so they say, because I haven't signed a contract yet, so I'm not sure I'll get paid next month... that's life!). I had applied for that internship in june last year... and they called me on october 1st this year.

In Argentina, a good resort for students that need money and can't get a job is tutoring (I do that myself). You can organize your own scheadule so it allows you to study. The pay isn't great but at least it's something.

mili
mili Posted Tue 14 Oct, 2008 6:28 AM Quote
When I was a student I had some part-time jobs, for a temping company (indoor messenger, switchboard operator etc) and for a department store (selling men's clothes and window display/advertising). The temping wasn't the most exciting of jobs, but brought in some needed cash.

What kind of jobs are you people seeking for?

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Tue 14 Oct, 2008 9:48 AM Quote

It's a goddamn nightmare!!!

I've been out of work since 24th August, I have been applying since 24th June, I've lost count of the amount of jobs I have applied for, the amount of agencies I've spoken with and I've been to two interviews. btw Thank you so kindly to all those other fuckers I applied to who didn't even have the decency to let me know (A) They'd recieved my application and/or (B) That I had been unsuccessful. You ignorant fucks.

If I had known the current economic climate was going to get so bad I may have thought twice about "jumping ship".

Mind you I did just recieve a call to tell me I have an interview with the National Library of Ireland next Tuesday.

Dubz

lilly
lilly Posted Tue 14 Oct, 2008 10:07 AM Quote
MariaMak wrote:
Hey maybe ask Fran for a job in Berlin ;-)

*lol* great idea ;D , with my degree I should be the perfect immigration-helper for Scots in Germany anyway *giggles* ;D

Last year I worked part-time in a museum shop in Munich, but when I came back from Spain this year, they suddenly wanted people to be available anytime... then I tutored 2 girls on weekends, but now their parents think they don't need a tutor anymore... I'm applying for a job as a fair hostess now - have done it before, so maybe I got a chance...

Oh God, and in a year... NO idea what I'm going to do...

Friends of mine are finishing uni this month, and they're all planning these lengthy trips around the world, saying they will apply for jobs afterwards... *sighs* it would be nice to have rich parents, really ;)

Darran
Darran Posted Tue 14 Oct, 2008 11:12 AM Quote
MariaMak wrote:
Darran how are ya coping? I'd be cracking up without work.

No, no I have a job. I just can't get out of it. I have been succesful in interviews but then told they have no jobs for me at the moment.

Muppets.

deebee
deebee Posted Tue 14 Oct, 2008 11:46 AM Quote
....... OR buy a few lottery tickets and cross your fingers!

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Tue 14 Oct, 2008 12:04 PM Quote
Irish Jobs

FAS

Loadzajobs

Monster

Recruit Ireland

Dubz

Lemon Grinner
Lemon Grinner Posted Tue 14 Oct, 2008 2:04 PM Quote
I got my job really easily, but I suppose I am only selling clothes... having the fucking time of my life there tho, and to me that's better than having a job that pays more but drives me bonkers. Maybe I'm just a very lucky fucker.

MariaMak
MariaMak Posted Tue 14 Oct, 2008 6:40 PM Quote
Cheers dubz, been searching them for the last few months. Nothing im qualified enough to do.

Is it so hard to get a job in the media? I'll make coffee for years if thats what it takes!!!

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Tue 14 Oct, 2008 6:51 PM Quote
Show your breasts during an interview. Always worked for me.

Kidding!!!!!!!!!

No I'm sorry for all of you folks looking. That is so hard. I always hated looking for a job. The worst was when I was going back after being home for several years with the kiddos. It was so discouraging.

Dubz, I'm with you on companies not acknowledging your application and not just telling you no. Especially the ones where you interviewed one or more times. It's called common courtesy people!!

Congrats on the interview next week. Sounds like a neat place to be.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Tue 14 Oct, 2008 6:56 PM Quote
MariaMak wrote:
Cheers dubz, been searching them for the last few months. Nothing im qualified enough to do.

Is it so hard to get a job in the media? I'll make coffee for years if thats what it takes!!!

and to add onto what Anne is saying...
maybe you shouldnt have found your trousers for that interview!

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 9:05 AM