Travis

Tail of the Tiger & Used to Belong
SamuraiSandy
SamuraiSandy Posted Tue 16 Sep, 2008 3:10 PM Quote
Don't know if anyone's posted about these yet...but I'm too lazy to check.

I got the single thru the post yesterday, and I cannot stop listening!! Something Anything we've heard already, so I won't comment on that...
But Used to Belong is amazing! I don't think I've ever heard this sound from them before, and I quite like it. It's really catchy, and I definitely need to listen again and again to catch the lyrics, but I'm a little sad that this one's not an album song. Fran's voice in this is sooo pretty! Lot's of high notes too!

Tail of the Tiger is a bit different, and definitely a grower. I listened yesterday and while I liked it, it didn't grab me like Used to Belong. But, I listened twice today, and I'm definitely liking it more and more. Did Dougie write the lyrics to this one?

Re: Tail of the Tiger & Used to Belong
SamuraiSandy
SamuraiSandy Posted Tue 16 Sep, 2008 4:58 PM Quote
So, no one's been able to download or has received their bundle yet?

Sky-Blue Puppy
Sky-Blue Puppy Posted Tue 16 Sep, 2008 5:11 PM Quote
SamuraiSandy wrote:

Some of us have, but are too stunned to comment :)
Or should i say to comment twice - some first impressions were expressed last night in this thread

Brilliant songs, both of them :)

SamuraiSandy
SamuraiSandy Posted Tue 16 Sep, 2008 5:15 PM Quote
Sky-Blue Puppy wrote:
SamuraiSandy wrote:

Some of us have, but are too stunned to comment :)
Or should i say to comment twice - some first impressions were expressed last night in this thread

lol...damn it! i knew i should have checked first. thanks!
Brilliant songs, both of them :)

Craig
Craig Posted Tue 16 Sep, 2008 7:16 PM Quote
oh yes both the new b sides are amazing!! but used to belong is the best out of the 2 tracks, ive never heard them do anything like this before and to sound this way. fran's voice is great. the tune is very catchy and the lyrics are quite sad but i think its thew way it has been sung that makes it for me along with the catchy tune well what can i say im totally blown away.....

tail of the tiger is so dougie as well!! but i dont like it as much as used to belong tho. cant wait for the album now!!

Mikko85
Mikko85 Posted Tue 16 Sep, 2008 9:38 PM Quote
Tail of the Tiger doesn't interest me that much. It's a fairly forgettable b-side for me. They're not all going to be brilliant, we've been spoilt lately.

Used to Belong I just love so much, it's gorgeous. Lyrics, music, vocals, everythjing about it is spot on and I like it a lot better than some of the album tracks.

I get the impression this whole Ode era is going to be more hit and miss for me than TBWNN. But that's excellent. With TBWNN and it's b-sides, every song was a solid 6,7,8 out of ten. Good, not that exciting and didn't leave much of a mark a year down the line. This time there are a handful of songs I don't like that much - Get Up, Tail of the Tiger, Broken Mirror....but the ones I do like, I LOVE.

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Tue 16 Sep, 2008 10:05 PM Quote
Mikko85 wrote:

I get the impression this whole Ode era is going to be more hit and miss for me than TBWNN. But that's excellent. With TBWNN and it's b-sides, every song was a solid 6,7,8 out of ten. Good, not that exciting and didn't leave much of a mark a year down the line. This time there are a handful of songs I don't like that much - Get Up, Tail of the Tiger, Broken Mirror....but the ones I do like, I LOVE.

I know what you mean, but I definitely prefer now, there were no b-sides from TBWNN that really stood out to me, whereas we've had two already from Ode. I think these songs will still be favourites in five years time, I certainly hope so!

Mikko85
Mikko85 Posted Tue 16 Sep, 2008 10:13 PM Quote
I honestly think Ode will be far more memorable in 5 years time. I can't really explain it. Chinese Blues, Song to Self, Before You Were Young, Sarah, Used to Belong....these songs hit that special 'spot' that only Travis can hit, but it's the first time for two or three albums I can say that.

milos
milos Posted Wed 17 Sep, 2008 1:08 AM Quote
Great songs! Both are different and special in their own way.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Wed 17 Sep, 2008 1:15 AM Quote
I don't have the full songs yet, but based on the clips online, "Tail Of The Tiger" is the song that stood out to me most. I thought it had a really groovy sound. My mind might change once I listen to both tracks in their entirety. Maybe I'll end up liking "Used To Belong" better. I can't wait to hear these the whole way through!! I shall report back. :)

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Wed 17 Sep, 2008 4:31 AM Quote
Both good. Used To Belong a top 5 b side for me, along with Sarah. :)

steeler62
steeler62 Posted Wed 17 Sep, 2008 7:23 PM Quote
I already have Used to belong played over 100 times, and it still gives me the chills. It's just an other example that fran has one of the greatist Voices of all time.

Sarah-
Sarah- Posted Wed 17 Sep, 2008 7:41 PM Quote
now, seriously... it doesn't happen very often that i listen to a song and then i totally love it straight away. i mean, not just like, but really LOVE it. normally that takes quite a long time. but now that's exactly the case with "tail of the tiger". last night i came back home after two coldplay gigs, i was exhausted and so tired, plus, i thought it would be "coldplay-only" for the next few days anyway, hehe. but then that song totally blew me away. it's so SO amazing, fran! can't believe it's only a b-side ;)
now i'm even more looking forward to the album - and i'm so glad i got tickets for london!

nickynooboo
nickynooboo Posted Wed 17 Sep, 2008 8:30 PM Quote
steeler62 wrote:
I already have Used to belong played over 100 times, and it still gives me the chills. It's just an other example that fran has one of the greatist Voices of all time.

My feelings exactly. Really beautiful song....made me feel quite emotional the first time I heard it! x

nickynooboo
nickynooboo Posted Wed 17 Sep, 2008 8:30 PM Quote
steeler62 wrote:

My feelings exactly. Really beautiful song....made me feel quite emotional the first time I heard it! x

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 3:46 AM