Travis

Ok so I'm hoping I don't get into trouble for posting this..
Moray
Moray Posted Mon 15 Sep, 2008 12:45 AM Quote
But I'm too excited not to say.

Birthday wish came true - have borrowed my friends advance copy of Ode to J. Smith. I'm just in from the pub and having my own little listening party in my front living room. Lights dimmed, speakers turned up just right. You know the way.

CD's all watermarked, etc, so I don't plan on doing anything untoward with it I'm afraid!! Hoping me having borrowed it is even ok!? If nobody objects, will post a little bit on it tomorrow, early thoughts? Without giving away any spoilers for everyone else who's patiently waiting!! Just a little teaser, as one fans thoughts to another.....

For just now I'm just going to sit back and enjoy!!

Apologies if this sounds like boasting, I'm just genuinely so pleased to be listening.

Re: Ok so I'm hoping I don't get into trouble for posting th
MariaMak
MariaMak Posted Mon 15 Sep, 2008 1:01 AM Quote
Jealous!!!

I'll hold out, i wanna do what you're doing on the release date.. or should i say when it arrives in the post.
Don't give away too much, although ive heard a few of the songs live, just can't wait to have a copy in my car

Nikki
Nikki Posted Mon 15 Sep, 2008 1:16 AM Quote
OMG, Moray you lucky dog!!!!! Can't wait to read your review!!!

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Mon 15 Sep, 2008 1:35 AM Quote
I hope you do get in trouble and that your punishment is that you have to send the CD to me.

Sincerely,
Your bitter and jealous friend

Moray
Moray Posted Mon 15 Sep, 2008 1:39 AM Quote
I'm done listening. It's amazing! But I'm away to bed. Insta favourites that I havent heard before are Chinese Blues, Last Words & Quite Free.

It doesn't have Before You Were Young on it though. So I'm still left wanting for more!

minnmess
minnmess Posted Mon 15 Sep, 2008 1:40 AM Quote
what a happy birthday for you Moray!

jesusaremus
jesusaremus Posted Mon 15 Sep, 2008 1:50 AM Quote
Happy Birthday :)
Last Words and Quite Free are the songs that excite me more!! :D

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Mon 15 Sep, 2008 3:33 AM Quote
Not surprised about Quite Free. Not an immediate fan favourite but after time, I think it'll be a favourite on here. Not that I've heard the proper version of course... you lucky poo. :)

milos
milos Posted Mon 15 Sep, 2008 6:43 AM Quote
Moray wrote:
It doesn't have Before You Were Young on it though. So I'm still left wanting for more!

That's interesting because Rolling Stone review also mentioned Song To Self as the closing track. It looks like they decided not to put Before You Were Young on these advance copies. But all the reviews are based on them, so i guess the reviewers don't get the "full picture" if the closing track is missing. Perhaps they did it to prevent at least one track from "leaking". :D

MoreThanMe
MoreThanMe Posted Mon 15 Sep, 2008 9:08 AM Quote
Watermark? Has it been pissed on?

Moray
Moray Posted Mon 15 Sep, 2008 9:39 AM Quote
MoreThanMe wrote:
Watermark? Has it been pissed on?

haha, no I'm assuming it's so if it's ever sold on ebay, the host cd is nice and traceable to find out who leaked it. Presumably also if I tried to rip the cd, the watermark number would show up again identifying the leaked source. Although it's probably copy protected anyway or something. I dunno, I haven't really checked into it to be honest!! I'm too afraid of the FBI showing up at my door!!

MoreThanMe
MoreThanMe Posted Mon 15 Sep, 2008 9:47 AM Quote
FBI

Always makes me think of the simpsons, when they are listening in on them outside in a van trying to be anonymous with

Flowers
By
Irene

Written on the side of the van.

Moray
Moray Posted Mon 15 Sep, 2008 10:13 AM Quote
Ok had a bit of time to listen to the album. Once last night, in the car on the way to work and giving the album a spin at work as I type this.

It's an incredibly cohesive and tight album. With all the buzz surrounding it, I was obviously all prepared for the change in direction from the last album, and the 'new sound' for Ode. But there was still room for plenty of surprises, especially not having heard the songs live (I avoided the you tube versions from the club tour). Chinese Blues is a great opener for any album. The piano breakdown is immense and really kicks the song into another gear. i love the chord changes. I won't dwell on J. Smith or Something anything, except to say that J. Smith makes a lot more sense to me in the context of the album as it did as a stand alone single. That's not a criticism of the song, it's just it really slots in where it does. Long Way Down is great fun. The primal scream doesn't dissapoint, and the distorted piano (?) solo that follows is brilliant, again, like Chinese Blues as the song goes on it just seems to gain a momentum all of it's own (except for the end! haha)! Broken Mirrors is the only one I'm not sure of at the moment. It's definitely a slow burner of a song. Reminds me of Paperclips, in the way it's positioned in the album, and maybe how important to the album as a whole. I just think it'll take longer to 'get'. Last Words & Quite Free are a great little couplet. Maybe along with Song to Self they're the most 'Travis' of the songs on the album. Again, not a criticism of the songs, they're just the most instant songs with two great hooks and a catchy chorus to boot. Get Up again we know, so on to Friends. Wow! I'm not sure how to describe the vibe to this one. It'll blow you away. However and whatever you thought this one would sound like recorded think again! The closest fit I could think of was LA Woman era The Doors. haha. How awesome is that?! Song to Self. I love this one. I just love the intro and the feel. It's so cinematic. Unfortunaley I can't speak about Before You Were Young. I'm surprised it's left off the review copy to be honest, as I thought there was a real emphasis placed on it as the album closer?

Anyway, it works a treat as an album. I can't wait now to see how the songs work live, and which ones become favourites over the coming months. It reminded me a lot of the first time I heard R.E.M.'s "Monster". It was such a change in direction for them, and as well as working as an album it left me excited about where they would go to from there. It's still my favourite R.E.M. album, so I have big hopes for Ode to J. Smith.

not-the-same
not-the-same Posted Mon 15 Sep, 2008 10:17 AM Quote
That sounds so good! Haha, I'm a little relieved (although I was never too worried that I might not love the album^^). It's great for you that you got to listen to it so early :)

MoreThanMe
MoreThanMe Posted Mon 15 Sep, 2008 10:45 AM Quote
Cheers for the synopsis Moray. i love The Doors, spesh latter day of the L.A Woman era so Friends is soundin somethin special. Travis + The Doors finally!!!

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 8:28 AM