Travis

Big Bang experiment
Hanne
Hanne Posted Wed 10 Sep, 2008 2:29 PM Quote
Do you believe that the entire earth is going to be sucked into a black hole, or is that just nonsense?

I don't really believe it, but then again, I'm not a scientist. One of these scientists explained this morning that a black hole is normally like two planets colliding, while the hole created here would be like two mosquitos colliding.

Re: Big Bang experiment
ricv64
ricv64 Posted Wed 10 Sep, 2008 2:38 PM Quote
just saw one of these walking down my street , science has gone toooooo far

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/ni/imscn070606_02_07.jpg

mili
mili Posted Wed 10 Sep, 2008 2:39 PM Quote
As someone in a Finnish forum wrote, once the dust in your house disappears followed by some bigger items, you know there's a small black hole in your home somewhere.

I've heard two dates for the end of the Earth, one in a month's time and the other 21.12.2012. First because of a black hole inside the Globe and the latter is based on some ancient calculations, something about Inkas was mentioned.

I suppose if it's going to happen, we won't have time to notice much, so I just carry on as usual.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Wed 10 Sep, 2008 2:43 PM Quote
i have a lot of plans over the next months and a bit..can the world ending hold out for a bit?

I do have a rather large Visa bill that I would rather not pay though...

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Wed 10 Sep, 2008 2:56 PM Quote
mili wrote:
As someone in a Finnish forum wrote, once the dust in your house disappears followed by some bigger items, you know there's a small black hole in your home somewhere.

I've heard two dates for the end of the Earth, one in a month's time and the other 21.12.2012. First because of a black hole inside the Globe and the latter is based on some ancient calculations, something about Inkas was mentioned.

I suppose if it's going to happen, we won't have time to notice much, so I just carry on as usual.

Mayan calender ends on the later date

Hanne
Hanne Posted Wed 10 Sep, 2008 3:13 PM Quote
Well if there is a black hole, you won't feel anything anyway. You'll be pressed into the size of a bacteria or even smaller.

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Wed 10 Sep, 2008 3:17 PM Quote
Hanne wrote:
Well if there is a black hole, you won't feel anything anyway. You'll be pressed into the size of a bacteria or even smaller.

I don't like the idea. I decided not to believe it. lol

Peewee
Peewee Posted Wed 10 Sep, 2008 3:17 PM Quote
Ohhhh Hanne, that sounds like a good way to go! lol

Look forward to reading all about it in the New Scientist. It's all a bit crazy though I think.

Hanne
Hanne Posted Wed 10 Sep, 2008 3:33 PM Quote
Lol, sounds like the perfect way to go :oP

I decided not to believe it either. In any case, they're only starting it up right now. It won't be up to full speed for another year or so, so the end isn't all that nigh...

nesmap
nesmap Posted Wed 10 Sep, 2008 5:12 PM Quote
Hanne wrote:

I was led to believe that time just got slower, then you stretched a lot until you dissappear into the event horizon.

Anyways, if a black hole were to be created, it wont happen until they start to smash the particles together on Oct 21st, so we still have about amonth left ;)

minnmess
minnmess Posted Wed 10 Sep, 2008 5:14 PM Quote
nesmap wrote:
Hanne wrote:

I was led to believe that time just got slower, until eventually you dissappear into the event horizon.

Anyways, if a black hole were to be created, it wont happen until they start to smash the particles together on Oct 21st, so we still have about amonth left ;)

excellent. that allows me to still get in 2 concerts and a hockey game in that last week. And thanksgiving. Turkey, hockey, Jason Mraz and Coldplay. Not a bad last week, i say!
Would miss a 2nd hockey game the next week, but i suppose we all will.

nesmap
nesmap Posted Wed 10 Sep, 2008 5:20 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
nesmap wrote:
Hanne wrote:

I was led to believe that time just got slower, until eventually you dissappear into the event horizon.

excellent. that allows me to still get in 2 concerts and a hockey game in that last week. And thanksgiving. Turkey, hockey, Jason Mraz and Coldplay. Not a bad last week, i say!
Would miss a 2nd hockey game the next week, but i suppose we all will.

My dissertation will be finished by then, so I will have everything in order before we all die. Good times!

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Wed 10 Sep, 2008 5:23 PM Quote
I believe that time slows down quite a lot for you, so you would notice, apart from the fact that your brain's component atoms will be being torn apart. Anyway, it aint going to happen unless the scientists are reaaaaaaly thick or suicidal, and I don't think they are either. The collisions each have the energy of two colliding mosquitos, and I've never seen that trigger an apocalypse. :)

Hanne
Hanne Posted Wed 10 Sep, 2008 7:24 PM Quote
nesmap wrote:

My dissertation will be finished by then, so I will have everything in order before we all die. Good times!

You should never enter a black hole without a proper degree. You need something to fall back on :o)

nickynooboo
nickynooboo Posted Wed 10 Sep, 2008 8:49 PM Quote
My brain already rattles around in a rather large black hole so I'm pretty sure I have nothing to worry about.

Have always thought it would be pretty cool to see space though......mind you, I don't suppose that a black hole counts as space does it???? ME CONFUSED!!!!!!!!!!

x

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 4:18 PM