Re: Ode To J. Smith - STOLEN!!!
irenesfor
irenesfor Posted Tue 02 Sep, 2008 1:17 PM Quote
Thanks for the explanation, Fran... the title frightened me :S

silvella
silvella Posted Tue 02 Sep, 2008 1:50 PM Quote
ricv64 wrote:
Stolen is tooooooooooooooo strong a word . influenced by sure. Stuff like thats been going on since the caveman

That's exactly my opinion, too! Fran has answered everything we need to know about that!!!!

I like it!

sebnemy
sebnemy Posted Tue 02 Sep, 2008 2:52 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
Who did the Ode artwork? Could be the same person. Ya never know until you know.

Good call my friend!

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Tue 02 Sep, 2008 2:53 PM Quote
MoreThanMe wrote:
Is it just me, or does anybody like the album cover less now, cos its not original?

That will happen to me if we find out that the eye has been used on something else, or if Travis use the lips as other singles' artwork or inside the album's artwork.
I really hope the eye doesn't appear on another book cover or something like that. Even if the rights of the image were bought, it not being original would frustrate me a bit.

Gladly (the cross-eyed bear)
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) Posted Tue 02 Sep, 2008 2:54 PM Quote
paul should be sued for libel. Now that would be funny.

silvella
silvella Posted Tue 02 Sep, 2008 3:28 PM Quote
Quote:
...or if Travis use the lips as other singles' artwork or inside the album's artwork....

Found something... wow, I don't know what to say... look here! Scroll down!!!

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Tue 02 Sep, 2008 3:35 PM Quote
Are you guys all detectives or what?

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Tue 02 Sep, 2008 3:50 PM Quote
silvella wrote:
Quote:
...or if Travis use the lips as other singles' artwork or inside the album's artwork....

Shit!!! Hahaha.
*Is kinda disappointed*
Anyway, like somebody said before, music's what matters.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Tue 02 Sep, 2008 4:07 PM Quote
Juli, there are so many album covers that use art though! I like that the eye and lips are the work of an artist from the 1970s and not just some random thing.

Ursina
Ursina Posted Tue 02 Sep, 2008 4:18 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:
Ursina wrote:
gladsadmad wrote:
Comparison:-
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/7a/Travisodetojsmith.jpg/200px-Travisodetojsmith.jpghttp://www.antiquariaatvictory.nl/publicatie/36568.jpg
Yep, definitely used the same style.
Even the same colours! What would the nose look like?

hmmmm to me the 2 are completely different. It's amazing that you have to go to such great lengths to be able to use an image that is not even the same. Interesting, thanks Fran for the explanation :)

Ursina wrote:
MoreThanMe wrote:
Is it just me, or does anybody like the album cover less now, cos its not original?

no, not at all ! first of all I don't compare it with the Dahl cover. Secondly we are all influenced with things around us. If Travis saw the design and liked it so all to the good. They changed it to what they wanted, that ok.

but to be honest *whispers* I don't like it that much.

I don't think you took what Fran said the right way. He said: "Actually we have licensed (bought) this image and the eye image from the artist who created them in the 70's." -- The eye was not made by the band in the same style to look like the lips. They are both original works by the same artist.

ok ok I've got it lol

Ursina
Ursina Posted Tue 02 Sep, 2008 4:19 PM Quote
silvella wrote:
Quote:

wow ! and why are we not told that song to self is a singel ? or have I been missing something ??

deebee
deebee Posted Tue 02 Sep, 2008 4:48 PM Quote
The weird thing is that they're releasing Tail of the tiger on Song to self as a B-side so I'm guessing they're not going with Something Anything in Germany as a single. I suppose it's adapted to each continent/country.

Chiito-chan
Chiito-chan Posted Tue 02 Sep, 2008 5:17 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
Are you guys all detectives or what?

I was wondering the same thing.

Rallyfoeraren
Rallyfoeraren Posted Tue 02 Sep, 2008 5:41 PM Quote
Speaking about "stolen" artworks, what about this latest Coldplay album? That's so obviously not their own artwork, but they still seem to get away with it.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Tue 02 Sep, 2008 5:50 PM Quote
Rallyfoeraren wrote:
Speaking about "stolen" artworks, what about this latest Coldplay album? That's so obviously not their own artwork, but they still seem to get away with it.

Nikki wrote:
Some bands *cough* Coldplay-Viva La Vida *cough* and many, many others throughout history have used famous paintings as album covers.

:)

Pages Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Next All Times BST Current Time 11:03 AM