Travis

Re: Ode To J. Smith - STOLEN!!!
Bryn
Bryn Posted Tue 02 Sep, 2008 1:05 AM Quote
TK23 wrote:
I actually like the album art even more now, after seeing what may or may not have inspired it!

Me too, a lot more. And now that Fran has told us how the image came to be, I think that makes it better still. I just read about Derek Birdsall and looked at some of his work... he's done some really cool stuff, if anyone is interested in graphic design.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Tue 02 Sep, 2008 1:23 AM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
Who did the Ode artwork? Could be the same person. Ya never know until you know. But yowza, very similar.

Wow, so I was right? That hardly ever happens!

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Tue 02 Sep, 2008 1:45 AM Quote
Stolen is tooooooooooooooo strong a word . influenced by sure. Stuff like thats been going on since the caveman

Nikki
Nikki Posted Tue 02 Sep, 2008 2:13 AM Quote
I guess this also disproves your theory of the artwork being created with Microsoft Paint ya dork. :P

Good find on the kissy lips though, Paul!

Bryn
Bryn Posted Tue 02 Sep, 2008 2:34 AM Quote
Nikki wrote:
I guess this also disproves your theory of the artwork being created with Microsoft Paint ya dork. :P

Good find on the kissy lips though, Paul!

lol!! Don't feel too bad Paul, I thought it was a plausible theory!; )

jesusaremus
jesusaremus Posted Tue 02 Sep, 2008 2:41 AM Quote
it's interesting this, but dunno, i'm not sure, i would prefered an original idea, something else about this artwork, something much interesting :s, i like so much more the something anything artwork :s

Re: Bought
Travis-O-Mally
Travis-O-Mally Posted Tue 02 Sep, 2008 3:41 AM Quote
Fran wrote:
Actually we have licenced (bought) this image and the eye image from the artist who created them in the 70's. His name is Derek Birdsall and a very nice man and one of the greatest british graphic designers. We saw it. We loved it and instead of nicking it, we contacted Penguin, then the Dahl foundation, then penguins art department then the artist himself and bought the rights to use it [quote="Fran"]

Fran, you should have finished the post off with a "boo-yaa" these people, thinking you would nick a drawing, piiishaaaawwww, disrespect i tell ya, blatant disrespect :)

brenrogers
brenrogers Posted Tue 02 Sep, 2008 3:50 AM Quote
Bryn wrote:
TK23 wrote:
I actually like the album art even more now, after seeing what may or may not have inspired it!

Me too, a lot more. And now that Fran has told us how the image came to be, I think that makes it better still. I just read about Derek Birdsall and looked at some of his work... he's done some really cool stuff, if anyone is interested in graphic design.

I LOVE graphic design.

Ursina
Ursina Posted Tue 02 Sep, 2008 9:02 AM Quote
gladsadmad wrote:
Comparison:-
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/7a/Travisodetojsmith.jpg/200px-Travisodetojsmith.jpghttp://www.antiquariaatvictory.nl/publicatie/36568.jpg
Yep, definitely used the same style.
Even the same colours! What would the nose look like?

hmmmm to me the 2 are completely different. It's amazing that you have to go to such great lengths to be able to use an image that is not even the same. Interesting, thanks Fran for the explanation :)

MoreThanMe
MoreThanMe Posted Tue 02 Sep, 2008 10:34 AM Quote
Is it just me, or does anybody like the album cover less now, cos its not original?

Ursina
Ursina Posted Tue 02 Sep, 2008 11:17 AM Quote
MoreThanMe wrote:
Is it just me, or does anybody like the album cover less now, cos its not original?

no, not at all ! first of all I don't compare it with the Dahl cover. Secondly we are all influenced with things around us. If Travis saw the design and liked it so all to the good. They changed it to what they wanted, that ok.

but to be honest *whispers* I don't like it that much.

cornax
cornax Posted Tue 02 Sep, 2008 12:41 PM Quote
Ursina wrote:

hmmmm to me the 2 are completely different. It's amazing that you have to go to such great lengths to be able to use an image that is not even the same. Interesting, thanks Fran for the explanation :)

If I'm understanding Fran correctly, I believe he's saying that BOTH images were already in existence and they bought both but used the eye one for the album cover.

I have to say I wasn't either for or against the album cover design at first but, seeing it in context of the period in which it was created (the beaten up Dahl book cover) I love that retro 70's vibe. It reminds me of the cocktail parties my parents used to have back then with ELO albums playing and bowls of smoked almonds and fondue...

Nikki
Nikki Posted Tue 02 Sep, 2008 12:44 PM Quote
Ursina wrote:
gladsadmad wrote:
Comparison:-
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/7a/Travisodetojsmith.jpg/200px-Travisodetojsmith.jpghttp://www.antiquariaatvictory.nl/publicatie/36568.jpg
Yep, definitely used the same style.
Even the same colours! What would the nose look like?

Ursina wrote:
MoreThanMe wrote:

no, not at all ! first of all I don't compare it with the Dahl cover. Secondly we are all influenced with things around us. If Travis saw the design and liked it so all to the good. They changed it to what they wanted, that ok.

but to be honest *whispers* I don't like it that much.

I don't think you took what Fran said the right way. He said: "Actually we have licensed (bought) this image and the eye image from the artist who created them in the 70's." -- The eye was not made by the band in the same style to look like the lips. They are both original works by the same artist.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Tue 02 Sep, 2008 12:46 PM Quote
cornax wrote:
Ursina wrote:

If I'm understanding Fran correctly, I believe he's saying that BOTH images were already in existence and they bought both but used the eye one for the album cover.

I have to say I wasn't either for or against the album cover design at first but, seeing it in context of the period in which it was created (the beaten up Dahl book cover) I love that retro 70's vibe. It reminds me of the cocktail parties my parents used to have back then with ELO albums playing and bowls of smoked almonds and fondue...

lol! we just posted the same thing. Yep. You're right. That's what Fran said. And I agree...I'm diggin' the retro vibe. :)

Nikki
Nikki Posted Tue 02 Sep, 2008 12:50 PM Quote
I just thought of something. If they bought both, do you guys think the lips are featured somewhere on the album? On the inside or on the back perhaps? Maybe not, but I'm just wondering why they'd have to buy both.

Pages Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Next All Times BST Current Time 8:49 PM