Travis

the man who fell to earth
silvella
silvella Posted Wed 27 Aug, 2008 3:40 PM Quote
Yesterday, I saw the movie “Der Mann der vom Himmel fiel” on TV for the first time… yes, I know, it’s a big gap in education… First of all: I was surprised of the good acting of David Bowie, and of the seriousness of this movie. I like it!!!

Today, I summed up (is this the correct expression??) the movie for myself, googled a little, read the english title “The Man Who Fell To Earth”, went to IMDB to look for other movies of Bowie…

…and suddenly…

…the scales fell from my eyes…

THE MAN WHO fell to earth!!!

THE MAN WHO!!!

So David Bowie is the man who – aka Thomas Newton?????

As a good Travis fan I know from the “relationships” between Travis and Bowie, and I know that Dougie is a big fan of him (are the others, too??). So: Have I missed this connection yet??? I couldn’t find anything here on the board, and in google it was a bit difficult. So if somebody knows… please let me know! I’ve become very anxious to this! Thanks!!!

Re: the man who fell to earth
BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Wed 27 Aug, 2008 4:04 PM Quote
I always thought 'The Man Who' came from the book, 'The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat'. :) Maybe i am wrong.

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Wed 27 Aug, 2008 4:29 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
I always thought 'The Man Who' came from the book, 'The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat'. :) Maybe i am wrong.

No, it was a prediction of which song would be number 2 in the charts on the 27th August 2008.
Hang on that's today! Charts

No, Ben's right, what an awesome title! :D

moo_the_evil_boffin
moo_the_evil_boffin Posted Wed 27 Aug, 2008 5:13 PM Quote
Yep it's 'The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat'. It's a really interesting book by Oliver Sacks- a neurologist. 'The man who' in question had a case of visual agnosia which enabled him to see things but not know what they were. E.G. He saw a glove and described it as a sort of bag with five pockets which could be used to hold coins.

Great book- I read it when I was on holiday lol.

Yeah, sorry, I'm a geek lol.

TheInvisibleBoy
TheInvisibleBoy Posted Wed 27 Aug, 2008 8:13 PM Quote
I always thought it was from the book too but you never know silvella may have uncovered something, perhaps Travis had two things in mind when naming the album. I guess the only ones who could answer that are Fran, Dougie, Andy and Neil though lol.

RaZzZ
RaZzZ Posted Wed 27 Aug, 2008 9:37 PM Quote
I saw that movie too, but i didnt put attention about that...

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Wed 27 Aug, 2008 11:03 PM Quote
the man who sold the world too

silvella
silvella Posted Thu 28 Aug, 2008 2:37 PM Quote
So... lets have a look at your answers...

BenFilbert wrote:
It seems you are right!! I haven't known this before. Maybe it's also available in german, I will look at amazon. Thanks!

the boy with a cryptic name wrote:
No, it was a prediction of which song would be number 2 in the charts on the 27th August 2008.

*grins* Yes, the guys knew that exactly!! I'm sure!!! Nice song!

moo wrote:
He saw a glove and described it as a sort of bag with five pockets which could be used to hold coins.
Thats interesting!! Surely it's not easy to have a totally different look on things we know. Maybe like babies ore E.T.s...

TheInvisibleBoy wrote:
I always thought it was from the book too but you never know silvella may have uncovered something, perhaps Travis had two things in mind when naming the album. I guess the only ones who could answer that are Fran, Dougie, Andy and Neil though lol.
Oh Jesus!!! If that would be true... if I had "uncovered" a Travis secret... what would happen??? Will I get all tickets for the gigs and the CDs for free??? Do they write me a song??? Or will I be banned from the board??? *lol* But yes, maybe F+D+A+N could answer...?

RaZzZ wrote:
I saw that movie too, but i didnt put attention about that...
Yes, I just paid attention for that when I realized the english movie title. Did you like it?

ric wrote:
Whats this? A book, a movie??

mili
mili Posted Thu 28 Aug, 2008 2:44 PM Quote
silvella wrote:
S
ric wrote:
Whats this? A book, a movie??

The Man Who Sold the World by David Bowie

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=LSnXjE66tvQ&feature=related

rebekah
rebekah Posted Thu 28 Aug, 2008 4:09 PM Quote
wow, suprisingly i didn't know this before!

(:

(The Man Who Sold The World is an aweosme song btw :P)

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Thu 28 Aug, 2008 4:42 PM Quote
I agree. Great song that. :)

Never read 'The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat'.

rebekah
rebekah Posted Thu 28 Aug, 2008 5:10 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
Never read 'The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat'.

hmm me neither..i think i might though (:

1922 Posted Fri 29 Aug, 2008 3:12 AM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:

This is a quote by Fran, taken from an article about TMW on Billboard mazazine's website from 2000:

"Some of the reviews for the first album," Healy says, "said that musically we were a schizophrenic band." Acknowledging the confusion, the act started its second effort by drawing its title from the Oliver Sacks book "The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat," a compendium of case studies concerning schizophrenia.

Very enlightening.

The full article can be found here:

link to Billboard article

silvella
silvella Posted Fri 29 Aug, 2008 12:22 PM Quote
1922 wrote:
BenFilbert wrote:

This is a quote by Fran, taken from an article about TMW on Billboard mazazine's website from 2000:

"Some of the reviews for the first album," Healy says, "said that musically we were a schizophrenic band." Acknowledging the confusion, the act started its second effort by drawing its title from the Oliver Sacks book "The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat," a compendium of case studies concerning schizophrenia.

Very enlightening.

The full article can be found here:

link to Billboard article

Thank you so much! Good article. But if the guys need an alternative to the real explanation, they could take mine!! *g*

"The Man Who Sold The World" sounds great! Thanks! I'm not a Bowie fan, for me he was also a little too... how can I say... in german I would say "durchgeknallt" (translation means "manic", but I don't mean the ill way of manic). There's also a Nirvana version: who wrote it??

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Fri 29 Aug, 2008 1:44 PM Quote
Nirvana covered it. It is a Bowie song. :)

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 4:26 AM