Travis

co-written songs
Rain on the brain
Rain on the brain Posted Fri 08 Jun, 2007 8:05 AM Quote
reading the "who wrote what" part in the boy, 3 times and you lose and big chair are written by healy and dunlop, colder is by healy and payne (seems we're in school calling ppl with surnames :)
how can two people write a song together? what is it, one wrote the first verse and the other wrote the chorus, or one wrote the lyrics and the other composed the melody?
how does it work?
I mean, I can't imagine them saying, come on let's sit around this table and write this song together now, or something like, "hey andy look what I've been writing last night!" "Nooo I wrote the exact same thing!!"

There's something that I'm missing, songs should be very personal, or... I don't know, need explanation..

Re: co-written songs
Lemon Grinner
Lemon Grinner Posted Fri 08 Jun, 2007 8:23 AM Quote
Two people can both contribute to a song! They can each write lyrics, general chord progression n then the melody etc. If they are at the same place mentally then it really shouldn't be a problem when it comes to 'meaning what you sing' n that. And Andy usually don't really sing too much like, so I don't think there is much of a problem with it all.
Tis what the Grinnage thinks :)

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Fri 08 Jun, 2007 11:31 AM Quote
Well for Three Times and You Loose, Andy had written the music I believe. And he maybe but some lyrics to it originally too, I can't remember. But Fran then helped 'weild' it into a song by giving it (new) lyrics and generally structuring it I think. Similar things may have happened with the other two songs.

Co-written songs
paul_c
paul_c Posted Sat 09 Jun, 2007 1:07 AM Quote
Rain on the brain wrote:

how can two people write a song together?

Why don't you ask...
http://beatlesnumber9.com/jlpm

Re: Co-written songs
Rain on the brain
Rain on the brain Posted Sat 09 Jun, 2007 2:45 PM Quote
paul_c wrote:
Rain on the brain wrote:

Why don't you ask...

ohh... i'll try to be happy with travis answer for now...

DarrenW
DarrenW Posted Sat 09 Jun, 2007 3:56 PM Quote
Rain on the brain wrote:

how does it work?

On songs Ive co written in the past, Ive got so far with a song but needed either some of the lines changing or an extra verse put in, in which case Ive got someone to help me out.

I guess it doesnt need to be written 50:50. Even if someone comes along and changes a couple of lines in a song, its still "co-written"

Rain on the brain
Rain on the brain Posted Sat 09 Jun, 2007 5:43 PM Quote
DarrenW wrote:
Rain on the brain wrote:

how does it work?

On songs Ive co written in the past, Ive got so far with a song but needed either some of the lines changing or an extra verse put in, in which case Ive got someone to help me out.

I guess it doesnt need to be written 50:50. Even if someone comes along and changes a couple of lines in a song, its still "co-written"

that makes sense
thank you

it should be wonderful having this ability to put your feelings into a song. my feelings remain just... feelings..

Nikki
Nikki Posted Sat 09 Jun, 2007 7:02 PM Quote
paul_c wrote:
Rain on the brain wrote:

Why don't you ask...

Exactly what I was thinking, Paul.

Great picture of them by the way...

MusicGirl99
MusicGirl99 Posted Sat 09 Jun, 2007 7:46 PM Quote
Well, the fact that Dunlop and Payne come before Healy in the credits means that those two wrote more for those songs than Fran did. It's almost never 50/50.

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Sun 10 Jun, 2007 3:34 PM Quote
What I don't get is how Fran managed to write 3 or 4 entire albums by himself. Did he really just tell each person what to play, and they were all musical robots for years? Surely they came up with their own parts (quite often), so I've never understood why Fran is the only credited one.

TALIA
TALIA Posted Sun 10 Jun, 2007 7:02 PM Quote
MusicGirl99 wrote:
Well, the fact that Dunlop and Payne come before Healy in the credits means that those two wrote more for those songs than Fran did. It's almost never 50/50.

that's what i thought.. and it makes sense

knl
knl Posted Mon 11 Jun, 2007 5:30 AM Quote
Rain on the brain wrote:
reading the "who wrote what" part in the boy, 3 times and you lose and big chair are written by healy and dunlop, colder is by healy and payne (seems we're in school calling ppl with surnames :)
how can two people write a song together? what is it, one wrote the first verse and the other wrote the chorus, or one wrote the lyrics and the other composed the melody?
how does it work?
I mean, I can't imagine them saying, come on let's sit around this table and write this song together now, or something like, "hey andy look what I've been writing last night!" "Nooo I wrote the exact same thing!!"

There's something that I'm missing, songs should be very personal, or... I don't know, need explanation..

Colaberating is nothing new. All the cool kids are doing it. You don't actually think Elton John composes his songs entirely by himself do you?

puck
puck Posted Tue 12 Jun, 2007 4:01 PM Quote
hahah my beloved Pink Floyd composed a lot of songs signed by all FOUR band members and somtimes there was even no lyrics!It is amazing not becouse of number of authors but the music they created...and I think the same about Travis:)

paul_c
paul_c Posted Tue 12 Jun, 2007 6:08 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:
paul_c wrote:
Rain on the brain wrote:

Why don't you ask...

Exactly what I was thinking, Paul.

Great picture of them by the way...

Thanks, i took it myself you know ;) lol

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 3:54 PM