Travis

Playing Ode in its entirety shows...
MoreThanMe
MoreThanMe Posted Mon 11 Aug, 2008 3:07 PM Quote
Hmmmmm, on the one hand i would really love to attend one of these shows (if they happen) during the tour.

But cant help but think its not really a good way to ingratiate some people ( first show ones ) into Travis. I can remember the first time i seen the Kings of Leon live at T in The Park in 2004, they played 8 new songs off of a yet unreleased album and i was really unimpressed.

Saying that, the album which followed from that set was Aha Shake Heartbreak which is fantastic, but still, its a case of really trying to like the new songs when you hear them the first time played live.

Suppose theres also an argument for saying that if the new album is as good as it is being hyped up to be by the band then it can stand this test of being played live from head to toe. Only seen this done twice from other bands, B.R.M.C at the QMU (Howl album) and DoMeBadThings at King Tuts. The latter by the way now defunct but what a fucking band, d/load thier stuff, especially The Song Rides and Move In StereoLiv Ullman on drums.

Just realised my post is all over the place...sorry.

Re: Playing Ode in its entirety shows...
BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Mon 11 Aug, 2008 3:26 PM Quote
At Travis concerts it'd be really cool but Fran also mentioned doing it at V. That would be wrong. For 35 minutes the people won't hear one song they recognise. For a festival they should play the classics plus a few old rockers and a selection of the new songs. :)

milos
milos Posted Mon 11 Aug, 2008 4:32 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
At Travis concerts it'd be really cool but Fran also mentioned doing it at V. That would be wrong. For 35 minutes the people won't hear one song they recognise. For a festival they should play the classics plus a few old rockers and a selection of the new songs. :)

Maybe, but it would be a very brave thing to do! And it just goes to show how much they believe in the new songs. I can't wait to finally hear the album!

Moray
Moray Posted Mon 11 Aug, 2008 4:48 PM Quote
Have to agree, as a punter V Festival isn't probably the best forum to play a whole album in your setlist. The sheer volume of passing customers you get means you'd run the very real risk of getting a hostile crowd reaction.

gladsadmad
gladsadmad Posted Mon 11 Aug, 2008 5:19 PM Quote
milos wrote:
BenFilbert wrote:

Maybe, but it would be a very brave thing to do! And it just goes to show how much they believe in the new songs. I can't wait to finally hear the album!

The V Festival is being shown all this weekend on the new 4Music TV channel, so expect to see Travis at some point in the schedule. Not sure of the exact time that Travis is on, but maybe they'll broadcast some of the new songs if they play them.

Safe Side
Safe Side Posted Mon 11 Aug, 2008 5:35 PM Quote
I think it would be great if they do it just to see people at Vs reaction, there so far down the bill that its like there a new band anyways and when u go see a new band you dont no any of their songs so u need to make up your mind just on performance. In sayin that if i wasnt such a huge Travis fan and just had a passing intrest id prob be really gutted if they didnt play a bunch of singles form the man who and Invisible band . I hope they maybe do a wee tour playin the whole album again with a scottish date this time

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Mon 11 Aug, 2008 5:55 PM Quote
gladsadmad wrote:

The V Festival is being shown all this weekend on the new 4Music TV channel, so expect to see Travis at some point in the schedule. Not sure of the exact time that Travis is on, but maybe they'll broadcast some of the new songs if they play them.

Indeed, freeview: 18, sky: 360, virgin: 330.

Apparently Travis are on from 6:15-6:50, that's barely long enough to play the album anyway! I don't know whether they're still thinking of playing the whole caboodle, it was a long time ago when Fran made the comment, but it would be a very brave decision.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Mon 11 Aug, 2008 6:01 PM Quote
husker du did that a few times , didn't Teenage Fanclub play bandwagonesque in sequence ?

Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Mon 11 Aug, 2008 6:03 PM Quote
I think they should play the new album and take a chance. They can then get people to buy the new album. Everyone has heard the old ones in the UK , they know what old Travis is about . They will want no NEED the new and its a great place to lift it off!

I heard it all live at Nottingham and it was an amazing amazing sound, all together. I was standing with a chap who had not seen them for years and he was knocked out by it. It will be much much better than with all the old mixed up at a UK gig prior to this new album coming out.

EDIT: The songs are so good , you dont need to have heard them before

gladsadmad
gladsadmad Posted Mon 11 Aug, 2008 6:22 PM Quote
the boy with a cryptic name wrote:
Indeed, freeview: 18, sky: 360, virgin: 330.

Apparently Travis are on from 6:15-6:50, that's barely long enough to play the album anyway! I don't know whether they're still thinking of playing the whole caboodle, it was a long time ago when Fran made the comment, but it would be a very brave decision.

So that's a 35 minute set, the album is very short I think with very quick songs, so it would just about be possible I think (If they are feeling brave, like you say).

Somewhere Else wrote:
I think they should play the new album and take a chance. They can then get people to buy the new album. Everyone has heard the old ones in the UK , they know what old Travis is about . They will want no NEED the new and its a great place to lift it off!

I heard it all live at Nottingham and it was an amazing amazing sound, all together. I was standing with a chap who had not seen them for years and he was knocked out by it. It will be much much better than with all the old mixed up at a UK gig prior to this new album coming out.

EDIT: The songs are so good, you dont need to have heard them before

Agreed, the new album live on first airing was very impressive. So it would grab hold of people's attention.

But it's more likely though that they will split their mini-set down the middle, eg, 4 new songs and then play 4 old songs.

Here's a question for you:-

What 8 songs do you think that Travis will fill their 35 minute set at the V Festival with?

My guess would be:-

J. Smith
Something Anything
Long Way Down
Song To Self
------------
Selfish Jean
Sing
Driftwood
Why Does It Always Rain On Me?

... or something like that.

MoreThanMe
MoreThanMe Posted Mon 11 Aug, 2008 6:55 PM Quote

MoreThanMe

MoreThanMe

MoreThanMe
MoreThanMe Posted Mon 11 Aug, 2008 6:57 PM Quote
ok, ill get my coat.

Aaaaaannyyyywwwaaayyy...

Totally agree with your songs, maybe replace Long Way Down with Chinese Blues.

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Mon 11 Aug, 2008 7:03 PM Quote
Somewhere Else wrote:
The songs are so good , you dont need to have heard them before

Can't deny the songs are brilliant, but I was getting a bit bored by the end of the full album and I was really trying to enjoy it. You have to remember that they're competing with acts like Amy Winehouse and she will pull away any who are only half-interested.

gladsadmad wrote:

J. Smith
Something Anything
Long Way Down
Song To Self
------------
Selfish Jean
Sing
Driftwood
Why Does It Always Rain On Me?

I reckon that this would be great, showcase the new stuff and then have a big nostalgic sing-song :D

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 12:39 PM