Travis

Really want the new single to get airplay
Hodgy
Hodgy Posted Thu 07 Aug, 2008 9:26 PM Quote
Moyles on Radio 1 is a big fan, but I doubt he(Or any other R1 DJ) will be allowed to put Something Anything on their playlist. As crimes of the 21st century go, the decision of Radio 1 to ignore Selfish Jean is one of the biggest, and I think they may do it again with Something Anything.
I guess Radio 2 might play it, but can't help feeling that its Radio 1 that has the most influence on the chart.
We may have to arrange to all text Radio 1 at exactly the saem time one morning to try and get their attention!!

Re: Really want the new single to get airplay
Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Thu 07 Aug, 2008 9:30 PM Quote
with you :)

gladsadmad
gladsadmad Posted Thu 07 Aug, 2008 9:36 PM Quote
Virgin Radio look a good bet to target! ;)

Especially with Travis playing the V Festival next week, and they've always been pretty supportive about them in the past.

Hodgy
Hodgy Posted Thu 07 Aug, 2008 9:46 PM Quote
Haven't listened to Virgin for ages - can you just text in and request stuff?

Hodgy
Hodgy Posted Thu 07 Aug, 2008 9:52 PM Quote
Just answered my own question - you can, and I just have!

gladsadmad
gladsadmad Posted Thu 07 Aug, 2008 10:08 PM Quote
Good good, so have I!

Contact Virgin here, or just text 81215.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Thu 07 Aug, 2008 10:24 PM Quote
Never listen to Moyles. But he is a fan so hopefully he'll play it. I should think they'll get more radio play this time. More success would bring more radio play, which would bring more success...

I don't think they need radio play for the album to start well. For the album to continue to sell, they'd probably need radio play. :)

paul_c
paul_c Posted Fri 08 Aug, 2008 12:52 AM Quote
I don't get this whole 'Travis have to be successful' thing, i really don't. As long as we, the fans, are enjoying the music, then isn't that what counts? At least for us anyway

I mean, the band aren't gona go hungry if the album/single doesn't do well. They've had success, and i think if it was me, i'd be happy with what i've got- a loyal fanbase who are so in love with the music already. Surely world domination is a thing of the past for Travis?

Just my view :)

Bryn
Bryn Posted Fri 08 Aug, 2008 2:04 AM Quote
paul_c wrote:
I don't get this whole 'Travis have to be successful' thing, i really don't. As long as we, the fans, are enjoying the music, then isn't that what counts? At least for us anyway

I mean, the band aren't gona go hungry if the album/single doesn't do well. They've had success, and i think if it was me, i'd be happy with what i've got- a loyal fanbase who are so in love with the music already. Surely world domination is a thing of the past for Travis?

Isn't that one of the eternal questions about "art"? Not to start a big discussion that doesn't really have an answer, but what is "success" for this album? The band is trying to make a new start and a new statement. You can't make it a requirement that everyone in the world listens, because if that was their number one goal, they wouldn't be trying a new approach. The logo debate is part of this--should they make changes like that? Maybe or maybe not, but they obviously aren't playing it safe,which leads me to believe radio play isn't the most important goal. I'm sure it would be great, but I don't think we should be really really upset if it doesn't happen.

paul_c
paul_c Posted Fri 08 Aug, 2008 2:25 AM Quote
Bryn wrote:
paul_c wrote:

Isn't that one of the eternal questions about "art"? Not to start a big discussion that doesn't really have an answer, but what is "success" for this album? The band is trying to make a new start and a new statement. You can't make it a requirement that everyone in the world listens, because if that was their number one goal, they wouldn't be trying a new approach. The logo debate is part of this--should they make changes like that? Maybe or maybe not, but they obviously aren't playing it safe,which leads me to believe radio play isn't the most important goal. I'm sure it would be great, but I don't think we should be really really upset if it doesn't happen.

Finally! Someone who speaks some sense. Well done Bryn :) i totally agree with all you said!

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Fri 08 Aug, 2008 3:37 AM Quote
Sure, i'll enjoy the music whether it is successful or not, but why can't we hope for a bit of success for them. I really don't see why you go on about it not meaning anything.

And actually, i think they're taking this new approach exactly for that reason. I think the band do want to be successful. I think the band do want people to buy their records. They've really shaken things up with this 'new' Travis and they're releasing the loudest single for 10 years, if not ever. I think, to have more success.

Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Fri 08 Aug, 2008 5:28 AM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
Sure, i'll enjoy the music whether it is successful or not, but why can't we hope for a bit of success for them. I really don't see why you go on about it not meaning anything.

And actually, i think they're taking this new approach exactly for that reason. I think the band do want to be successful. I think the band do want people to buy their records. They've really shaken things up with this 'new' Travis and they're releasing the loudest single for 10 years, if not ever. I think, to have more success.

Agree :)

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Fri 08 Aug, 2008 6:07 AM Quote
Well, from my very selfish point of view, success is too related with wanting Travis albums to be released in my country and wanting the band to come touring again around here.
I think it matters. It doesn't define Travis music or its quality, it's just something that's there. They're great, they deserve success and we all want them to do well, that's all. As long as they keep on doing great music and touring, I'll be fine :oP.

Hodgy
Hodgy Posted Fri 08 Aug, 2008 1:54 PM Quote
Although its great that we get to hear new stuff as hardcore fans - I think its always good for them to get airplay etc... so that other people can continue to discover the band. Something Anything DESERVES to get heard by loads of new people

Tonie
Tonie Posted Fri 08 Aug, 2008 2:11 PM Quote
Arrggghh! I've just been talking about this very thing in another thread - had no idea that the discussion was already ongoing over here!!!

So I'll sort of repeat myself. It's a fine balance. I want the band to be successful again, and achieve great commercial success with this album.

I don't set any store by singles and their chart performance.

I do think there is a lot to be said for radio airplay - to persuade the masses to check out the album that the single being played appears on.

But I don't want Travis to become a stadium band, and have to pay £100 a ticket to see them as a microdot on some distant stage!

That should cover it! :)

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 3:46 AM