Travis

Re: keane new song spiralling
Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Tue 05 Aug, 2008 7:17 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:

I might have been too harsh with my first post by comparing it to video game music, lol!

What's wrong with video game music? lol. Can't beat sonic the hedgehog tunes. http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x66/Jearoon2/Smilies/9-Grin2.gif

Nikki
Nikki Posted Tue 05 Aug, 2008 7:23 PM Quote
Typing to Reach You wrote:
Nikki wrote:

I might have been too harsh with my first post by comparing it to video game music, lol!

What's wrong with video game music? lol. Can't beat sonic the hedgehog tunes. http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x66/Jearoon2/Smilies/9-Grin2.gif

I was thinking more along the lines of Mega Man, myself. ^.^

Kristy
Kristy Posted Tue 05 Aug, 2008 8:07 PM Quote
It's not too bad on the second listen. I heard a bit more of the new Coldplay stuff today and I'm rather worried - I like it more than the *whispers* Travis stuff, sorry!
I still hate Chris Martin though, some things don't change so easily!

Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Tue 05 Aug, 2008 11:08 PM Quote
Hmmm guess they may surf on their last records with this one for sales, giving a false reading, but it has to be said - expectations high - delivery low.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Wed 06 Aug, 2008 1:21 AM Quote
I don't think I would have even known it was Keane. And if I hadn't known it was Keane I don't think I would have made it through the whole song. Perhaps this would grow on me but at the moment I cannot imagine voluntarily listening to it ever again.

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Wed 06 Aug, 2008 3:14 AM Quote
Typing to Reach You wrote:

I guess it depends whether you like cheap 80's pop lol. I think its quite a tongue in cheek sound though; I don't think it takes itself too seriously. But chin up, you might like the other tunes on the album. You never know, this might even grow on you.

Haha, totally. Like I said, it's not bad if you like that kind of music :oP.
I hope it'll grow on me (although so far it hasn't) and I reaaaaally hope I'll like the rest of the album more.

I agree, Anne. I really don't think I want to listen to it again. I heard it three times yesterday and I'm trying to forget it xD.

feri
feri Posted Wed 06 Aug, 2008 6:20 AM Quote
I honestly don't understand when people say they're sounding like every other band... Spiralling is nothing like any song out there today.

Why is it that anytime any artist is doing a pop song, they're looked down upon??? Let's look at the charts today. The 'pop' music today is like icing sugar-it's too sweet, almost all overproduced, with a lot of techno inspired beats and a LOT of sampling and copying old artists. There is basically little to no originality in today's mainstream pop music, and Keane has none of that in this pop song. It doesn't have the cheesy crappy lyrics about 'my boo', not the sampling, it's original and catchy. Honestly, I don't think this song sounds like anything that is in mainstream pop music today and they're definitely not sounding like other bands in my opinion.

I love the song, but then again I also love the 80s. I don't find it cheesy at all actually and I think it's more catchy than IIAW to be honest.

DAKOTA
DAKOTA Posted Wed 06 Aug, 2008 6:30 AM Quote
This thread got me curious so I downloaded it. Heh. I actually like it. I don't even like Keane. But I don't know what that means. ;D

Karmen
Karmen Posted Wed 06 Aug, 2008 10:39 AM Quote
Well....I feel socked at first, It's so different , but when I ear it more times, it begun to make sense, I mean It's their music, the lyrics, the voice....and above all they make me dancing....I have to point out that I'm an fan of the 80's music ;)

cmr
cmr Posted Wed 06 Aug, 2008 11:21 AM Quote
feri wrote:
I honestly don't understand when people say they're sounding like every other band... Spiralling is nothing like any song out there today.

agreed.

I loved the song, I'm not in to 80's or dancy music but this song is amazing!
Catchy, and lovely! Cool lyrics too!

Just can't wait to hear the whole album!

auronsquall
auronsquall Posted Wed 06 Aug, 2008 12:07 PM Quote
It sounds like a mix of Rob Thomas's solo work with Brandon Flower from The Killers, this song is having a hard time hooking onto me. But hey, its free, I can't say that much about it. Its gonna take something more to attract me to get their new album though.

moo_the_evil_boffin
moo_the_evil_boffin Posted Wed 06 Aug, 2008 9:35 PM Quote
Am I the only one who still doesn't like this song after a few listens?

It still sounds cheesy to me and I still think that this style just isn't suited to Keane.

The piano in this song sounds so predictable (from my perspective), if that's the right word.

Don't get me wrong, the lyrics are great as is the melody, but the song as a whole just doesn't make me think "Wow" like past Keane stuff. The magic that was in their other albums doesn't seem to be in this song, but hey, it's just one song and I'm not going to judge the album until I've heard it all the way through.

I'm probably going to be hated for posting this now, still, each to their own eh?

Moo
XXX

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Wed 06 Aug, 2008 9:38 PM Quote
feri wrote:

It sounds like every mainstream dancy pop band in the 80s. So it's not new at all, though it is new for the band.
The keyboard part is so Big In Japan xD.

Edit: Moo, I completely agree with you.

I feel like I felt when I went to buy Maroon 5's second album. I really liked the first one, so I went to a recordstore exclusively to buy the second one and I decided to play the first seconds of each song there. When it was over I decided that there was no way I was going to spend my money on that. I left the recordstore feeling so empty!

I really hope that the rest of Keane's new album sounds great. I don't want to have another fiasco with a band I love :oS.

feri
feri Posted Thu 07 Aug, 2008 5:58 AM Quote
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window wrote:

It sounds like every mainstream dancy pop band in the 80s. So it's not new at all, though it is new for the band.

I don't think it sounds anything like Big In Japan, honestly I can see why people would say it sounds like The Killers, but every mainstream dancy pop band in the 80s? I don't think so. Besides, what if it did?! So WHAT!
Why is it that there is such a negative connotation attached to being 'mainstream' or 'pop'. Mainstream is not always bad, and a lot of mainstream 80s dance pop bands were actually good. Coldplay are very much mainstream and they don't suck.

I honestly don't care if Keane sounds like every other 80s band which I dont think they do, or if they're mainstream. Their music rocks. Some bands try so hard to be indie, it's just tiring to watch.

moo_the_evil_boffin
moo_the_evil_boffin Posted Thu 07 Aug, 2008 8:05 AM Quote
feri wrote:
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window wrote:

I don't think it sounds anything like Big In Japan, honestly I can see why people would say it sounds like The Killers, but every mainstream dancy pop band in the 80s? I don't think so. Besides, what if it did?! So WHAT!
Why is it that there is such a negative connotation attached to being 'mainstream' or 'pop'. Mainstream is not always bad, and a lot of mainstream 80s dance pop bands were actually good. Coldplay are very much mainstream and they don't suck.

I honestly don't care if Keane sounds like every other 80s band which I dont think they do, or if they're mainstream. Their music rocks. Some bands try so hard to be indie, it's just tiring to watch.

Feri, I don't dislike this song for the fact it sounds, to some people (including myself), like 80's mainstream music. I dislike it for the fact that this style doesn't suit Keane and I believe that they are capable of so much more than this particular song.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what style a song sounds like, just whether it sounds good or not and to me, it just lacks that something that I've come to love from Keane.

Pages Previous 1 2 [3] 4 Next All Times BST Current Time 10:55 PM