Travis

Paper Strings: New song 'Down The Line' and a website!
Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Sat 02 Aug, 2008 9:32 PM Quote
EDIT: Hiya folkies. I now have a 'paper strings' website! It's not much but it's something. Check it out here: http://paperstrings.webs.com/

There's a new song too called "Down The Line", which you can listen to on the mp3 player on the homepage, or download by following the link on the 'Paper Strings Music' page of the site. Share me your thoughts. :)

You may notice the chat is on the website too. It's the same chatroom that's on the other site, but I've stopped using the old website and may actually delete it eventually, so I'm going to start getting people to use this'n instead. ;)

The tracks will probably be on the quiet side. I boosted the tracks' volume on itunes, but I suppose that will only apply to my itunes and will not be applied to the files being sent. So make sure to crank up the volume a bit!

-----------------------------------------------------------
[Original Post]

Sure, the new Travis music is exciting...

...but what you've really been looking forward to is a new tune by me. No no, don't deny it just to take the pressure of my shoulders, even though it is very sweet of you.

But seriously, I've made a new song entitled The Veil and if you're interested (or more likely if you feel sorry for me), you can check it out either by downloading it here or listening to it on my music MySpace here.

I changed my name to Paper Strings. That's how you make a new band name isn't it - putting two completely random words together? No, I don't like it that much either. But I can't think of anything better.

Oh, um, this post isn't really very Travisy is it? Damn. Um, ok one sec:

Travis! Travis! Travis! Fran! Flowers In The Window! J Smith rocks! Claes Claes Claes!

Ok, I think that'll do. http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x66/Jearoon2/Smilies/26sweat.gif

Re: Sure, the new Travis music is exciting...
Eledh
Eledh Posted Sat 02 Aug, 2008 9:58 PM Quote
Typing to Reach You wrote:

Travis! Travis! Travis! Fran! Flowers In The Window! J Smith rocks! Claes Claes Claes!

LOL!

Do you use your computer to create music?
Because this sounds sort of... I don't know... Cold?
I mean, it's good, I quite like it... But I don't know... It has something that... It's not quite right for me.

But I love the name, anyway :P
Paper Strings is lovely.

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Sat 02 Aug, 2008 10:07 PM Quote
Eledh wrote:

LOL!

Do you use your computer to create music?
Because this sounds sort of... I don't know... Cold?
I mean, it's good, I quite like it... But I don't know... It has something that... It's not quite right for me.

But I love the name, anyway :P
Paper Strings is lovely.

Yeah I know what you mean about the 'cold'. :/ I use a program called 'garage band' on my macbook. I use a microphone to record vocals and my guitar. My musical keyboard I plug into my macbook and it kinda plays through the computer. Everything else is just software instruments, like the drums and strings. It's not perfect but it's just what I have available. And I'm also just not that great, lol. xD

Thanks much for the feedback.

Eledh
Eledh Posted Sat 02 Aug, 2008 10:10 PM Quote

Yeah I know what you mean about the 'cold'. :/ I use a program called 'garage band' on my macbook. I use a microphone to record vocals and my guitar. My musical keyboard I plug into my macbook and it kinda plays through the computer. Everything else is just software instruments, like the drums and strings. It's not perfect but it's just what I have available. And I'm also just not that great, lol. xD

Thanks much for the feedback.

Oh yeah, I know Garage Band, my best friend used to play with it when he had his macbook.
I think it's normal to feel the song sort of "cold" when you play it with a computer, but well, it's good for a start. And well, you can always improve. If you're not that great now doesn't mean you won't be in the future ;)

Cheers

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Sat 02 Aug, 2008 11:00 PM Quote
Eledh wrote:

Oh yeah, I know Garage Band, my best friend used to play with it when he had his macbook.
I think it's normal to feel the song sort of "cold" when you play it with a computer, but well, it's good for a start. And well, you can always improve. If you're not that great now doesn't mean you won't be in the future ;)

Cheers

Indeedy. Were you around when everyone recorded their own version of 'Friends' (the upcoming Travis song) and posted 'em on the 'board? That was really cool. :)

Eledh
Eledh Posted Sat 02 Aug, 2008 11:33 PM Quote
Eledh wrote:

Cheers

Indeedy. Were you around when everyone recorded their own version of 'Friends' (the upcoming Travis song) and posted 'em on the 'board? That was really cool. :)

Oh yeah, I did my own version but it's gone now. Lucky me. XD
Really, I can't play guitar, I tried, I'm trying, but I just can't. I'm too much a drummer to play the guitar. XD
Piano? It's ok, a little bit. Drums? It's more than ok! Guitar? No Way.
XD

Bryn
Bryn Posted Sun 03 Aug, 2008 1:55 AM Quote
I just listened to your songs. I thought Dividing Lines was really a pretty song!! I guess GarageBand can have a sort of "distant" sounding quality to it sometimes, but I still thought it sounded good. You have a good voice! : -)

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Sun 03 Aug, 2008 10:44 AM Quote
Bryn wrote:
I just listened to your songs. I thought Dividing Lines was really a pretty song!! I guess GarageBand can have a sort of "distant" sounding quality to it sometimes, but I still thought it sounded good. You have a good voice! : -)

Cheers. Hopefully I'll find a way of reducing the tiny sound....

Glad you like Dividing Lines. Sometimes I write songs and then record 'em (Logic, Dividing Lines, June) and other times I kinda record the music first then write in the melody and lyrics. I think the former tends to work best. I have songs all over the place I want to record, but I find it difficult sometimes to get things like the tempo right. I'll keep trying anyways.

Btw you can hear more songs (including the Friends cover :P) here.

Erial
Erial Posted Sun 03 Aug, 2008 3:48 PM Quote
Oh, I'm really, really loving Dividing Lines too! And June is lovely as well. Could you post the lyrics to the songs here?
The mood of your music makes me think of the soundtrack of the movie Juno.

Boy, am I ready to see you in a band and be a fan! I'm just sayin'.

Eledh
Eledh Posted Sun 03 Aug, 2008 3:55 PM Quote

Btw you can hear more songs (including the Friends cover :P) here.

Now that I remember... Hearing again your version of Friends... I remember that, when we started to make covers... Your version was the one who did stay stucked in my brain for something like DAYS.
XD
I really love your voice and that version is simply amazing.

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Sun 03 Aug, 2008 5:25 PM Quote
Erial wrote:
Oh, I'm really, really loving Dividing Lines too! And June is lovely as well. Could you post the lyrics to the songs here?
The mood of your music makes me think of the soundtrack of the movie Juno.

Boy, am I ready to see you in a band and be a fan! I'm just sayin'.

Thank you much. Not so sure you'll ever see me in a band, lol. But if you have myspace please feel free to add me, I'm always looking for more followers. :P

The lyrics:

Dividing Lines

These dividing lines
These imagined walls
Tell us what to do
And fragment the world

All the laws and rules
Are held into place
By these borderlines
For the human race

What happens if these walls come tumbling down?
Would anybody notice?
Would they make a sound?

What happens if these walls come tumbling down?
Would we all live together?
Would a greater place be found?

These dividing lines
That we hide behind
The mistrust we feel
For the other side

But by looking outward
We understand
We can all reach out
To another land

June

When will our hearts unfreeze?
Maybe in Sunny June
When will our minds be freed?
Maybe in summer
Maybe in June

When can we lie and rest?
Maybe in Sunny June
When will we pass this test?
Maybe in summer
Maybe in June

Waiting for the ice to melt
So we can move once more
But we’re left frozen to the spot
Still looking for the door

cmr
cmr Posted Sun 03 Aug, 2008 9:15 PM Quote
The Veil is really cool TTRY, I'm listening to your other works too.
You're very good.
Well done :)

Erial
Erial Posted Tue 05 Aug, 2008 2:35 AM Quote
June's surely my favourite, but now that I understand all the words, I have to say Dividing Lines is a very close second. Remember to post your new songs here when the muse strikes again!

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Tue 12 Aug, 2008 5:48 PM Quote
Gosh, I nearly spontaneously combusted due to excitement then, it's lucky that I had some really boring Travis news to calm me down ;)

I've listened to the music now and it's really good. I like the ambience of The Veil, it would sound great if you could record it with all the instruments. I liked the next one as well (Armed Forces?) with the heavier guitars, it works well.

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Tue 12 Aug, 2008 9:47 PM Quote
the boy with a cryptic name wrote:
Gosh, I nearly spontaneously combusted due to excitement then, it's lucky that I had some really boring Travis news to calm me down ;)

I've listened to the music now and it's really good. I like the ambience of The Veil, it would sound great if you could record it with all the instruments. I liked the next one as well (Armed Forces?) with the heavier guitars, it works well.

Cheers mate. The thing with Armed Forces, and all the songs for that matter, is it could sound so much better and richer with good sound quality. But it still works ok for the most part. Ya can usually work out what I'm trying to achieve anyway lol.

Pages [1] 2 3 Next All Times BST Current Time 7:03 PM