Travis

Re: Is Travis still a big band?
Nikki
Nikki Posted Thu 24 Jul, 2008 8:48 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
I agree with marketing and would add the way radio stations are organized in the US. Here, large corporations own big groups of radio stations with very specific formats that are the same in every city. If it doesn't fit the format, it doesn't get played. Period. Travis gets scratched off the list before they've even been heard, I'm afraid. The one radio station around here that plays Travis once or twice a week (if we're lucky) is a Canadian station, which is how I found out about them.

Yay for 93.9 The River! :)

Winghead
Winghead Posted Thu 24 Jul, 2008 10:10 PM Quote
I wasn't really referring to their status in the US and Canada. As a rule British bands do better in Canada then the States. Oasis is still massive here. As I said I just recently rediscovered Travis. I fell off before 12 memories, and have since fallen in love with that record and Boy with No Name. I realize they sold out their Kool Haus show quite quickly. I was more referring to their status in the UK and the rest of the world. I hope they aren't fading in to obscurity too much. I wish them success. I just downloaded all of the B sides that I never knew existed, and many are far better than the A Sides (much like Oasis in this way), and I hope they stay a band for a long time to come. Fran is definitely one of the best songwriters

Nikki
Nikki Posted Thu 24 Jul, 2008 10:18 PM Quote
Winghead wrote:
I wasn't really referring to their status in the US and Canada. As a rule British bands do better in Canada then the States. Oasis is still massive here. As I said I just recently rediscovered Travis. I fell off before 12 memories, and have since fallen in love with that record and Boy with No Name. I realize they sold out their Kool Haus show quite quickly. I was more referring to their status in the UK and the rest of the world. I hope they aren't fading in to obscurity too much. I wish them success. I just downloaded all of the B sides that I never knew existed, and many are far better than the A Sides (much like Oasis in this way), and I hope they stay a band for a long time to come. Fran is definitely one of the best songwriters

Well, I can tell you that they are for sure more popular in the UK than they are in Canada and The States. They actually have a MASSIVE Latin/South American following and from what I'm hearing, people went nuts for them in Istanbul and Moscow and Fran compared the screams in Latvia to those at a Beatles concert. :)

Glad you've rediscovered Travis. "12 Memories" and "TBWNN" are brilliant albums and I cannot wait for "Ode to J. Smith"!! They're music is timeless and I agree, Fran is one of the greatest songwriters ever.

brenda_94_56
brenda_94_56 Posted Thu 24 Jul, 2008 10:33 PM Quote
I DONT THINK SO BECAUSE TRAVIS IS AN OLD BAND !!!
LIKE OASIS OR RADIOHEAD!!
RIGHT NOW THE HIT IS COLDPLAY !! SOMTIMES I GET TIRED OF THEM !!! SPECIALY OF THE LEAD SINGER VOICE !!! IS HORRIBLE !!!!!!!
RIGHT NOW MY TWO FAVORITE BANDS ARE MUSE AND TRAVIS !!!

BUT WHATEVER!!!

Joanna Hanner
Joanna Hanner Posted Thu 24 Jul, 2008 11:50 PM Quote

champagnesupernova
champagnesupernova Posted Fri 25 Jul, 2008 12:19 AM Quote
Why is it so important? Their music is what matters in my point of view. And personally I would be happier if they don't get much bigger than what they are. (Sorry, Travis! he hee)
I seriously think if Travis were not THAT big during The Man Who - The Invisible Band era, such a wonderful record named 12 Memories would not be THAT underrated as of today.

Anyway, they are avarage big in Turkey. Not as big as Radiohead or Metallica kind of bands but quite big with their own crowd of true listeners. As I told earlier, the queue I saw before the Travis show in Istanbul is the longest I have seen so far.

Winghead
Winghead Posted Fri 25 Jul, 2008 1:35 AM Quote
It matters, because when artists go completely under the radar, it becomes more and more difficult to see them live, especially when you live in Canada/US. I love Feeder, but I don't think they have been outside of Europe in years. I don't want that to happen with Travis.

champagnesupernova
champagnesupernova Posted Fri 25 Jul, 2008 2:16 AM Quote
Winghead wrote:
It matters, because when artists go completely under the radar, it becomes more and more difficult to see them live, especially when you live in Canada/US. I love Feeder, but I don't think they have been outside of Europe in years. I don't want that to happen with Travis.

Well but there is always a chance of seeing your favorite band in a small venue (which is awesome) more they stay less discovered. Otherwise it is all about big festivals with 90 minutes sets at most. But yeah, I understand your point. As Turkey is not the best place to get your bands play regularly.

bogusblue
bogusblue Posted Fri 25 Jul, 2008 3:31 AM Quote
Nikki wrote:

They actually have a MASSIVE Latin/South American following

Yeah, you're right, even when they don't get a lot of marketing and their songs aren't aired on the radio very often (actually is very hard to hear a song of them on the radio). Even so, they do have a lot of fans around here and I don't mind if they are a small, big or huge band, I love their songs and the way they play them live. For me they are a great band and I don't care what other people think about that, besides they (Travis) know they are very, very loved in Latin/South America, so I'm sure they come back every time they tour... at least I hope so :o).
I wouldn't like either that they become a huge, well-known around the world band (sorry Travis xD) because I don't know if fame would do any good to them, is just that I'm not able to visualize them in that way. What I'm trying to say (in an awfully English, I'm sure) is they're just the right size ;o).

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Fri 25 Jul, 2008 4:38 AM Quote
Well, I can't add much more to this thread except the perspective of an argentinian haha.
Here Travis would be a "medium" band. It's not usual to listen to a Travis song on a radio show or to see a video on a music tv channel. But it's a band that people know by name... well, not everyone, but a lot of people.
The only time they've come to play here it was as part of a festival, and they weren't announced as the main band (although in the end they were, because tons of people and critics left the stadium thinking Travis' show had been the best). I think if Travis did a gig on their own in Buenos Aires, they could play in a venue for 3500 people (I've got a certain venue in mind haha). That's where Muse, KT Tunstall, Coldplay among others play when they come here.

Tonie
Tonie Posted Fri 25 Jul, 2008 11:39 AM Quote
Winghead, if you want stadium gigs, then Travis isn't your band. They just don't fit that profile. In 2007 and 2008, there were a number of opportunities to see them live in the UK and overseas. But invariably, as I said in my earlier post, in "medium" venues (for want of a better description). There will be more, as Ode to J Smith gets launched.

Stadium gigs are for seeing your beloved musicians as a microdot in the distance. Smaller venues are for up close and personal. Guess which I'd choose, every time!!!

From "12 Memories" onwards, Travis have definitely declined in mainstream popularity. But as has been said, if you like the music, you like the music. That has to be the most important thing. Even Selfish Jean, the most recent "perfect for radio" track, got relatively little radio airing in the UK. Every so often you get a bit of WDIAROM and Sing. But we are not talking A list on music radio priorities. There were so few radio fanfares when TBWNN was released, compared to times past.

However, apologies for waffling. Enjoy the music! See them live! Don't be bothered by how much or little air play.

End of speech. Sorry guys. Either way, I hope I've given a bit of a UK perspective. I can't comment on the US/ Canada profile of Travis, but living near London, I'm well placed to comment on the Travis UK gig and airplay state of affairs! :)

Joanna Hanner
Joanna Hanner Posted Fri 25 Jul, 2008 1:27 PM Quote

Pages Previous 1 [2] All Times BST Current Time 4:52 AM