Travis

Re: Method of Release
the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Sat 19 Jul, 2008 7:13 PM Quote
I listen to music from CDs at least 90% of the time, and I don't think they'd release it without a CD. I'd like something a bit different to catch people's eyes, maybe the USB thing would work (so long as they put the artwork on the memory stick then 500 boardies will buy it :)) or maybe just a free download of a song would be good, like the taster of Get Up, only freeer (why isn't that a word? It's awesome!)

GMS1968
GMS1968 Posted Sat 19 Jul, 2008 11:27 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:
I'm pretty good on the computer, I'm just really behind with the whole downloading of MP3s, iTunes, iPod world! I still listen to CDs in my car. I know...how old school of me, lol.

It's not that I'm being selfish saying that I want Travis to come out with the new album in CD form because I'm not up on all the digital stuff, it's because I'm really afraid that coming out with an actual physical album is going to become a dying art and it makes me really sad to think that one day people won't be able to look at a band's cool cover art and pictures and read the lyrics in their CD booklet. It's all a part of making an album. The music is obviously the most important part, but that stuff adds to the feel of the album and I think it's important.

I agree with you Nikki too.
I like new technology.
But it will be a sad day when we loose CDs.
There is something magical about picking your favourite CD off the shelf and opening it up like an old book.

MusicGirl99
MusicGirl99 Posted Sun 20 Jul, 2008 8:00 PM Quote
I don't mind if CD's get replaced with something else, so long as the art, lyrics etc stays.
[/quote]

I agree with this. But in response to your first post, I don't think they'll release anything free like Radiohead did (to quote Franny, "No chance").
They've already done something different by releasing this lim ed EP which is a great idea. However, they might do a cd/newspaper release as this has been done in the past.
And about CD v. other formats, I've come to see that if you're a massive fan of a band, you'll prefer the CD in order to get all the artwork, lyrics, ect. instead of just a download. It's the collector's nature to want as much info as is available lol.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Sun 20 Jul, 2008 10:19 PM Quote
I don't mind if CD's get replaced with something else, so long as the art, lyrics etc stays.

I'd be down with that as well, Luke. It's more about keeping the art of the album booklet alive rather than the devise that stores the music. If I had a way to play it in my car and if the quality was the same, I wouldn't mind at all.

Tonie
Tonie Posted Sun 20 Jul, 2008 11:26 PM Quote
GMS1968 wrote:
There is something magical about picking your favourite CD off the shelf and opening it up like an old book.

Yup. First it's the browsing at the record store. Then it's taking it to the cashier, paying for it, and leaving the shop with the precious purchase. But best of all is peeling off the celophane wrapping, and loading the brand new cd into the deck for the first time.

Just about beats breaking the seal on a jar of coffee for pleasure factor!!! ;)

yonan
yonan Posted Mon 21 Jul, 2008 4:02 AM Quote
i would love it if the vinyl version's got more contents. i think bands have started doing it, NiN, Radiohead, hell, even Metallica

sebnemy
sebnemy Posted Mon 21 Jul, 2008 7:29 AM Quote
I need to confess that I loose my USB drives all the time...They are getting smaller and smaller they drive me crazy. But it would not be so much of a problem for music maybe--download it right away and do not worry about loosing it...
Nikki wrote:

I'd be down with that as well, Luke. It's more about keeping the art of the album booklet alive rather than the devise that stores the music. If I had a way to play it in my car and if the quality was the same, I wouldn't mind at all.

I agree with all of that. I want to add regarding the booklet that lyrics, photos, graphics, etc. can be separate, not bound. I sometimes want to take them apart and place them on my desk but I do not want to damage the booklet. So why not a different format? Print them on cards. I am sure it's been done before--poster versions, etc.

Hodgy
Hodgy Posted Mon 21 Jul, 2008 8:45 AM Quote
I think it'll probably be a CD/USB/vinyl release - but possibly with subtle differences to each release.
Definitely agree about CD's, they're far superior to downloads and reading all the thank you's and stuff at the end of the CD, just adds to the whole experience. Like the bit in the Invisible Band notes where Fran says 'Thank you to you for buying this record, these are your songs now'. Really nice touch.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Mon 21 Jul, 2008 3:01 PM Quote
the more... new media approches are interesting as an extra, as long as it is on cd too. While i download a lot, and listen to a lot online, I still buy cds, especially of my fav bands. I love liner notes and album art too much to not have it!

Gladly (the cross-eyed bear)
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) Posted Mon 21 Jul, 2008 3:13 PM Quote
Iam hoping it isnt digital format.
The compressed formats it would no doubt be released in do not compare to cd quality.
Plus as has been said before , you miss out on the artwork and all the other stuff that goes with it.

choke the chicken
choke the chicken Posted Mon 21 Jul, 2008 9:02 PM Quote
The best part of radioheads inrainbows release was the massive "book" you could buy which had the album on cd, the album as 2x12inch vinyls, + an extra cd as b-sides, and pages of artwork, all enclosed in a hard cased sleeve. Looks really good

For my fav bands I definately prefer buying the cd's, even if i only take it out of its case once to install on my laptop, then plonk it on the shelf for eternity. Its just something that should remain tangible i guess.

champagnesupernova
champagnesupernova Posted Mon 21 Jul, 2008 9:20 PM Quote
Vinyls please.

In order to enlarge my Travis collection, CD would be cool too. And being somewhat nostalgic, I have to admit that I miss those little tapes despite the shitty sound quality. :-P
For the easy use, digital downloads are needed though.

Jennny
Jennny Posted Tue 22 Jul, 2008 11:15 AM Quote
Nikki wrote:
I'm pretty good on the computer, I'm just really behind with the whole downloading of MP3s, iTunes, iPod world! I still listen to CDs in my car. I know...how old school of me, lol.

It's not that I'm being selfish saying that I want Travis to come out with the new album in CD form because I'm not up on all the digital stuff, it's because I'm really afraid that coming out with an actual physical album is going to become a dying art and it makes me really sad to think that one day people won't be able to look at a band's cool cover art and pictures and read the lyrics in their CD booklet. It's all a part of making an album. The music is obviously the most important part, but that stuff adds to the feel of the album and I think it's important.

I absolutely agree with that. I really don't mind all the downloading stuff as long as i'm still able to buy an old-fashioned CD :D
The only change suggestion that comes in my mind is the package, a cardboard package is what would make me, personally, happy. You know what i mean, those 'Damien Rice' made from recycled material cd covers for example :)

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Tue 22 Jul, 2008 12:39 PM Quote
Jennny wrote:

The only change suggestion that comes in my mind is the package, a cardboard package is what would make me, personally, happy. You know what i mean, those 'Damien Rice' made from recycled material cd covers for example :)

Yes I'd like a CD case like that. The last 3 CD's I've bought haven't been made from the usual plastic cases. I think they're going out. Which is a relief, they always break.

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Tue 22 Jul, 2008 1:59 PM Quote
Oh dear, you've just reminded me of how much I HATE those round-cornered, new style, patently, ridiculously, hideously, grotesquely stupid new CD cases which are used for 'special releases' (special for no reason at all except for the sticker on the front telling you that they're special). If Travis violate the new CDs with those brutes, then I will personally threaten them using only a keyboard, an internet and an enraged mind. Grrrr...
Anyway... I was thinking, maybe they could do a Coldplay and give away Song to Self or something, with a CD/vinyl release as well. Then we can send the links to all our friends and it's easier than getting them to spend their hard-earned cash :) What do you think?

Pages Previous 1 [2] 3 Next All Times BST Current Time 4:26 PM