Travis

Re: Sarah
mingsy_sar
mingsy_sar Posted Tue 01 Jul, 2008 12:27 PM Quote
I can't believe how beautiful Sarah is. That sounds weird because my name is Sarah and it may be the reason why the song has struck such a chord with me. Every part of the song is pitch perfect, not just Fran's singing Claes' piano or the lyrics. It's the emotion. It has made me cry, in the best way possible. It reminds me of a period in my life... well lets just say it's a bittersweet song for me. It should be a hidden track for definite.

Mikko85
Mikko85 Posted Tue 01 Jul, 2008 12:34 PM Quote
I've been singing this all day. Haven't got bored of it despite having it on almost constant repeat in the car this morning. It's just fantastic.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Tue 01 Jul, 2008 12:34 PM Quote
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window wrote:
Then Ben, what do you think about Blue Flashing Light on The Man Who? If it had been track 6 like you said, it would have ruined the atmosphere. But it's too awesome to be out of the album. It's perfect as a hidden track because it doesn't spoil the "unity" of the album and the song can get its own shine. It would have been a total waste if it hadn't been on the album.
That's why hidden tracks are so great. They allow you to put a song that is as brilliant as the others but doesn't quite fit with the sound of the album.

I know you're gonna keep hating hidden tracks anyway but I wanted to say that :oP

(Sorry if my posts don't make much sense, it's 4.40 am and I'm exhausted - I haven't had a decent sleep time for weeks now).

I totally agree, Juli!!! You've said it perfectly. Thanks to Nora, BFL got on The Man Who and out to the masses. See, us women know what we're talking about. ^.^

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Tue 01 Jul, 2008 1:40 PM Quote
I've just read all this back and realise how far we went off topic! Might as well continue... LOL

Track 6 was just an example of a track of its own. I've always thought track 11 to be perfect for it. I mean really, what is wrong with having Blue Flashing Light as track 11 on The Man Who? Its track 11 on my iPod, just as Perfect Heaven Space is track 14 on my iPod. I do a bit of computery magic and split them. Of course you can't do that with the cd so whenever I stick the cd on, I come across annoying hidden track. Argh! :)

Craig, well done dude. Women eh? Tut tut. ;) haha. Only joking girls. :)

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Tue 01 Jul, 2008 2:06 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:

I totally agree, Juli!!! You've said it perfectly. Thanks to Nora, BFL got on The Man Who and out to the masses. See, us women know what we're talking about. ^.^

We most certainly do ;o)
I didn't know that about Nora! THANK YOU NORA!!! Hahahaha.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Tue 01 Jul, 2008 2:11 PM Quote
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window wrote:
Nikki wrote:

We most certainly do ;o)
I didn't know that about Nora! THANK YOU NORA!!! Hahahaha.

Yes, thanks Nora! Some of you women obviously do know what you're talking about! ;)

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Tue 01 Jul, 2008 2:29 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:

Yes, thanks Nora! Some of you women obviously do know what you're talking about! ;)

Nikki and I, for example *angel face*.

Esteban
Esteban Posted Tue 01 Jul, 2008 4:58 PM Quote
There's some right old bollocks being trotted out in this thread. A few things, Ben.

Quote:
1 - Its not a surprise when you can see the track is 9 minutes long. Or even put them on tracklistings like they were on The Boy.

Why does it need to be a surprise? Like you say below, the track is realistically only ever going to be a surprise a maximum of one time, so that's not really a valid reason for hating hidden tracks.

Quote:
3 - It totally ruins the flow of the album by it finishing then starting again. Normally into a song which could quite easily have been track 6.

Like a surprise encore ruins a gig? No, it's at the very least a pleasant addition.

Quote:
4 - When you want to hear it on its own, you've got to skip the song before it. On an iPod its ok, still stupid, but on the cd, can take ages!

Sorry, but that's just bone fucking idle.

Quote:
Genuinely don't understand why you'd want Sarah 'hidden' away on Ode To J Smith than have its own rightful place amongst plenty of other great timeless classics on album 7

Album 7? We're not even on album 6 yet really, you're jumping the gun a bit.

Clearly album 7 will be Travis' post-rock album, sung entirely in Elvish.

Ode To B.Baggins. Mark my words.

Quote:
5 - Its pointless.

I say its stupid because in my opinion it is stupid. Sure it is easy to press the skip button for a few seconds. But that doesn't make it worthwhile. And you're not getting 'more' music. It's still there, as its own track. You're just getting a long stream of silence. I'd turn the stereo off if I wanted that. ;)

And Sarah wouldn't be taking the place of any new song. Do you think they'll fill 80 minutes of space on album 7? If you seriously do, I'll back down. But somehow I think they'll be less than 20 songs on it. Again, its not replacing any new song. They'll make an album and Dougie will say. 'Great. We've made an album. A great album. A great, 11 song album.' Fran will look up and say 'you're right Dougie. A great album. But a great... 12 song album.' ;)

Like my story? :)

So they should crowbar it into the record because the album might not be 80 minutes long? Utter bilge. That's like saying I should have tomato ketchup on my Sunday roast because I've got room on my plate. If it doesn't fit with the rest of it, then what's the point of putting it in?

Quote:
They'll fit it in somewhere. Muse can fit all sorts of songs on their albums. Heard their last? Take A Bow? Starlight? Map Of The Problematique? Soldiers Poem? Assassin? Hoodoo? Knights Of Cydonia? All totally different from each other.

Muse are wank though. Honestly, just because they make incohesive albums doesn't mean that Travis ought to.

Quote:
Again, back to the style thing, I think Sarah could work on most Travis albums. I think there's a good chance it'll work on album 7. Maybe it wouldn't, in which case don't put it on if its that crazy. My point is, that its much too good to be a b side. There's been plenty of examples in the past but this is ridiculous. Its one of my fave Travis songs!!! Should be on an album.

What does it matter where it is? There's so many Travis b-sides that would have sounded great on an album, but it makes no odds to me that they weren't.

Your turn now, Craig.

Quote:
just think how great the songs are gunna be if a track of this quality won't be on the album

I disagree. This is not like picking your top 5 babes or something. An album isn't necessarily the best 10 or so songs, it's a blend of all the songs you have available to create an atmosphere and theme of your choosing.

Think of a football team, do you always pick your best 11 players, or do you think about how you want to play, and pick players who work well with each other?

An album is teamwork, and the players are songs.

Quote:
oh yes it did spoil the album, i hate hidden tracks. coldplay have ruined there latest with at lest 2 hidden tracks, they just spoil the album

How did it spoil it though? Did it spoil the album bnecause you didn't like the song, or did it spoil it because it was a hidden track?

I'm not picking on you both, to use a football analogy, I play the ball, not the man and all that but your views are the ones I fundamentally disagree with.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Tue 01 Jul, 2008 5:35 PM Quote
I like it!
Sarah sounds kinda Billy Joel-ish to me. A little bit like "She's Always A Woman To Me." Maybe because it's rich in piano. Anyone else think so?

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Tue 01 Jul, 2008 5:46 PM Quote
Esteban, that was perhaps a bit cruel, but you've made me laugh a lot, so thanks!

I'm staying out of this one, except to say that I still love Sarah and that it should stay a b-side.

If 20 was an album track, people would like it but not revere it. I think Sarah deserves lasting glory.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Tue 01 Jul, 2008 5:48 PM Quote
Damn. I change my mind. ^^^ THAT...up there ^^^^ was Es' best post. ;) Right on, man!! Agree 100% with everything you said about hidden tracks.

EDIT: "Album 7? We're not even on album 6 yet really, you're jumping the gun a bit. Clearly album 7 will be Travis' post-rock album, sung entirely in Elvish. Ode To B.Baggins. Mark my words." <~~~ LMAO!!!

Esteban
Esteban Posted Tue 01 Jul, 2008 5:49 PM Quote
the boy with a cryptic name wrote:
Esteban, that was perhaps a bit cruel, but you've made me laugh a lot, so thanks!

I'm staying out of this one, except to say that I still love Sarah and that it should stay a b-side.

If 20 was an album track, people would like it but not revere it. I think Sarah deserves lasting glory.

Cruel? Just deconstructing what they said and giving my thoughts. If that's cruel then, a wise man once said, 'fucking grow a pair'.

maryhill_johnny
maryhill_johnny Posted Tue 01 Jul, 2008 5:55 PM Quote
Just listened to the ep. Not overly taken with either of the b-sides on first listen but this tends to be the way with me. Once I've listened to them over and over my opinion will probably change.

J Smith itself has some good points but I'm not a fan of the opening lyrics as I haven't a clue what they mean.

I often feel people go overboard when anything new is about to be released but maybe i'm just difficult to please

maryhill_johnny
maryhill_johnny Posted Tue 01 Jul, 2008 6:00 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
...I mean really, what is wrong with having Blue Flashing Light as track 11 on The Man Who?...

there is no way, in this world or the next, that blue flashing light would fit on The Man Who as anything but a hidden track.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Tue 01 Jul, 2008 6:07 PM Quote
maryhill_johnny wrote:
Just listened to the ep. Not overly taken with either of the b-sides on first listen but this tends to be the way with me. Once I've listened to them over and over my opinion will probably change.

J Smith itself has some good points but I'm not a fan of the opening lyrics as I haven't a clue what they mean.

I often feel people go overboard when anything new is about to be released but maybe i'm just difficult to please

Give it a few listens...I think they'll grow on you. :) By the way, "Sarah" is the only B-side..."Get Up" is going to be an album track from all indications.

I kinda went "HUH?" when I heard the opening line to "J. Smith" the first time as well, but not all lyrics have to make sense! It's poetry and it makes you think.

Does this make sense to you? "He bag production he got walrus gumroot, he got Ono sideboard he one spinal cracker"...nope! But it's one of the coolest song ever!

Pages Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Next All Times BST Current Time 2:22 AM