An apology to UK residents
weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Wed 18 Jun, 2008 1:36 AM Quote
I know it's not my fault but I am sorry this has crossed the pond

Re: An apology to UK residents
ElspethOllie
ElspethOllie Posted Wed 18 Jun, 2008 1:45 AM Quote
Oh prom, it was only a year ago.

I live in an upper-middle class area with kids that have a lot of disposable income, but I don't know anyone who spent $1,000+ on their prom.

No one.

dee
dee Posted Wed 18 Jun, 2008 1:47 AM Quote
when i think of proms i no longer think 50's style king and queen but this kinda stuffand
this too

:p

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Wed 18 Jun, 2008 1:52 AM Quote
Well of course they are going to cite extreme examples but I am just sorry a tradition that always disappoints has seeped into their culture because it's never as awesome as the movies has made its way over there.

And if the teenage Brits are wanting it because they saw it on movies they are going to have to spend major dough to recreate it....or be disappointed.

dee
dee Posted Wed 18 Jun, 2008 1:57 AM Quote
my debs (equivalent of prom over here) was such an anti-climax.
thank god none of my friends had shelled out ridiculous amounts of money for it but I know of others who rented stretch hummers and stuff.

monkey
monkey Posted Wed 18 Jun, 2008 3:26 AM Quote
i wanted to wear a dress to my prom

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Wed 18 Jun, 2008 3:30 AM Quote
monkey wrote:

You could have just worn a kilt.

TheInvisibleBoy
TheInvisibleBoy Posted Wed 18 Jun, 2008 4:12 AM Quote
At the end of high school we had a leaver's do in Stockport Football Club. People dressed up, teachers, students. Girls wore dresses, guys were in suits and some of them rented limos. My mates and me got my mate's dad's taxi up and I didn't spend too much on a suit (which I still wear to big occasions now, almost 3 or 4 years later lol). I wore the same suit to my leaver's thing at college too, I hate making a big thing out of proms and stuff, not really my style, I liked the leaver's dos because they weren't a big deal, no prom kings or queens and no big thing about who's going with who.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Wed 18 Jun, 2008 5:52 AM Quote
monkey wrote:

You should have worn one like J-Lo, lol! :)

I didn't go to my prom. I went to all of our Homecoming dances, though. One year I really didn't want to go, but my friend talked me into it last minute. I wore a plain black dress that I already owned and just curled my hair and wore it down. She, on the other hand, had a dress custom made! Do you know how much that shit costs?!? I don't get that at all. Not for a stupid high school dance.

Moray
Moray Posted Wed 18 Jun, 2008 9:12 AM Quote
We used to have a Xmas dance every year - basically a traditional ceilidh. Similar to a prom, however it was all traditional Scottish dancing (The Gay Gordons, Dashing White Sergeant, Strip the Willow, etc). Everyone in kilts, night ends with either Loch Lomond or Auld Lang Sine. Brilliant. Cannae beat it. Fuck getting a Prom over here, I'd rather keep to my traditions any day.

Never even used to have a leaving disco at my school - it was always considered to be a source of trouble. Instead I got a carry out, and got drunk by the river. Followed by a night down the pub. Great.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Wed 18 Jun, 2008 1:53 PM Quote
Moray wrote:
We used to have a Xmas dance every year - basically a traditional ceilidh. Similar to a prom, however it was all traditional Scottish dancing (The Gay Gordons, Dashing White Sergeant, Strip the Willow, etc). Everyone in kilts, night ends with either Loch Lomond or Auld Lang Sine. Brilliant. Cannae beat it. Fuck getting a Prom over here, I'd rather keep to my traditions any day.

Never even used to have a leaving disco at my school - it was always considered to be a source of trouble. Instead I got a carry out, and got drunk by the river. Followed by a night down the pub. Great.

I'd like to hear more about these traditional dances with the...interesting names.

Moray
Moray Posted Wed 18 Jun, 2008 2:10 PM Quote
Gay Gordons

Dashing White Sergeant

Strip the Willow

These are my three favourites. You should come to Scotland Anne and to a ceilidh, someone will teach you how to do the dances. They're a little confusing, but much good fun!

The dances are also usually done at wedding receptions also. And graduation balls, and any other formal events or dances. Oh, also on St Andrews night and probably on Burns nights also.

Search them on you tube, there's bound to be filums of people duncing!

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Wed 18 Jun, 2008 2:12 PM Quote
Moray wrote:
Gay Gordons

Dashing White Sergeant

Strip the Willow

These are my three favourites. You should come to Scotland Anne and to a ceilidh, someone will teach you how to do the dances. They're a little confusing, but much good fun!

The dances are also usually done at wedding receptions also. And graduation balls, and any other formal events or dances. Oh, also on St Andrews night and probably on Burns nights also.

I remember being at a school trip thingy in Castle Toward, Dunoon for a week. It was quite amusing watching them trying to teach young Paisley Hooligans to do these dances.

Dubz

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Wed 18 Jun, 2008 2:49 PM Quote
Moray wrote:
Gay Gordons

Dashing White Sergeant

Strip the Willow

The descriptions sound rad. I'll have to find some footage.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Wed 18 Jun, 2008 3:19 PM Quote
It does look very fun.
A Dougie wanna be around 30 seconds

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 10:30 AM