Travis

TRAVIS have got better
GMS1968
GMS1968 Posted Thu 08 May, 2008 6:43 PM Quote
In my opinion Travis are now making better records in the second half of thier careers. (i.e, from 12 Memories onwards)
To me, thier music has become even more accomplished.

I do love all the records Travis have ever made, but just prefer the more recent material.

What do you think?

Re: TRAVIS have got better
Nikki
Nikki Posted Thu 08 May, 2008 6:59 PM Quote
I love all of it, but I do think they've become better musicians. :)

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Thu 08 May, 2008 8:26 PM Quote
Hmmmmmmm...

I'm really not sure. I think there's natural fluctuation, but I would say that the stuff has remained at a reasonably steady (incredibly high) level :)
Anyway, how can they improve on perfection ;)

melissa
melissa Posted Thu 08 May, 2008 8:27 PM Quote
I think the best album is 12 memories (for me)I don't like too much TBWNN, I prefer the sound in the invisible band and the man who, obviously they were growing and getting better!!

kisses man!

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Thu 08 May, 2008 8:49 PM Quote
I think Travis have become more 'polished', but I don't think they've necessarily become better. My favourite Travis material remains their early stuff. There's something sincere and atmospheric about the music on The Man Who that I feel is missing on TBWNN. Oh and I love the Good Feeling b-sides. http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x66/Jearoon2/Smilies/9-Grin2.gif

Perhaps they've become a better live band? I don't know myself 'cos my first gig was 12 Memories era.

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Thu 08 May, 2008 9:10 PM Quote
Typing to Reach You wrote:
There's something sincere and atmospheric about the music on The Man Who that I feel is missing on TBWNN.

Exactly. There should be a way better flow on Ode To JS though.

My first gig was TBWNN, so it's hard to tell. :(

soniahearttravis
soniahearttravis Posted Thu 08 May, 2008 9:36 PM Quote
seeing as how dougie reportedly learned bass hours before recording the first song on good feeling, it's hard to imagine they wouldn't be musically better now than they were at the start, but i agree with whoever said that there is something very earnest and sincere in the early albums. the first 3 are my favorite, but it's a real horse race amongst them all. they've certainly become more musically intricate and sophisticated (who else uses a banjo?) and their sound is richer, but there's something fantastic and joyous about their original raw rock and roll music. of course, with time, i'm also becoming a more appreciative fan... i'm just thrilled they're releasing again!! yay!

forest
forest Posted Fri 09 May, 2008 5:07 PM Quote
all the musicians become better as they acquire experience...

Travis is original... it`s not acquire by experience

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Fri 09 May, 2008 5:28 PM Quote
soniahearttravis wrote:
seeing as how dougie reportedly learned bass hours before recording the first song on good feeling

This isn't true. They were together for a good stretch of time before they recorded Good Feeling.

What IS true though is that he didn't know how to play bass and Fran asked him to join the band so he spent two weeks teaching himself how to play. (I know because I read it on Wikipedia and asked Dougie if it was true and he said yes)

He did know how to play other instruments (namely sax) so he had some musical knowledge but it is still very impressive.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Fri 09 May, 2008 5:33 PM Quote
I don't know. They made great music back then and they make great music now. 6 very good albums, 3 of which are brilliant and another about to arrive which, if recorded well (and J Smith suggests it is) will be another brilliant album.

What I would say though is that they now seem to have 2 great writers. Dougie has written good songs for years but in my opinion, don't come close to Franny's efforts. But now, Something Anything, Long Way Down and Last Words are all brilliant and its actually 3 Fran songs I remain unsure how they'll turn out. Although don't worry Fran, I'm sure they'll be great and I know I love his other 5. So I'm interested to see, or hear I suppose, the future of Travis now that Dougie is starting to emerge as a really good song writer. Maybe its because Fran is singing them (though I don't think its that) but his new songs are great!

Nikki
Nikki Posted Fri 09 May, 2008 6:04 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
I don't know. They made great music back then and they make great music now. 6 very good albums, 3 of which are brilliant and another about to arrive which, if recorded well (and J Smith suggests it is) will be another brilliant album.

What I would say though is that they now seem to have 2 great writers. Dougie has written good songs for years but in my opinion, don't come close to Franny's efforts. But now, Something Anything, Long Way Down and Last Words are all brilliant and its actually 3 Fran songs I remain unsure how they'll turn out. Although don't worry Fran, I'm sure they'll be great and I know I love his other 5. So I'm interested to see, or hear I suppose, the future of Travis now that Dougie is starting to emerge as a really good song writer. Maybe its because Fran is singing them (though I don't think its that) but his new songs are great!

A perfect example of this is "Colder"...great lyrics by Dougie and sung beautifully by Fran. I still want to hear this one live...Fran on harmonica. Nice. :)

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Fri 09 May, 2008 7:35 PM Quote
I agree Nikki. Colder is good but I think these 3 new ones are better. When you say 'live' do you mean being there in person or just hearing it live?

Can't help much with the first one lol but, and I can't promise anything phenomenal but, if you mean just hearing it live, keep a look out for an email that might come your way later today. :) I don't know if anyone has anything better though.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Fri 09 May, 2008 7:49 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
I agree Nikki. Colder is good but I think these 3 new ones are better. When you say 'live' do you mean being there in person or just hearing it live?

Can't help much with the first one lol but, and I can't promise anything phenomenal but, if you mean just hearing it live, keep a look out for an email that might come your way later today. :) I don't know if anyone has anything better though.

Sweet. Thanks Ben! I actually meant being there in person, but I'd love to hear anything ya got. I know a live version is floating around YouTube as well. It's the one where Fran plays harmonica before the song and then is like "Ok, that's what it's supposed to sound like" just in case he screwed it up during the song...but he didn't at all, he did a fab job.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Fri 09 May, 2008 8:01 PM Quote
Oh jeez that's the one I was talking about! Haha. Well, it might not be. Maybe he said it more than once. Is it at Parr Hall, Warrington? If so, its the same as I got. I wouldn't usually keep it because it isn't that amazing quality but it was my first Travis concert! I managed to find audio of my first 2 Travis gigs from the net!!! So I've got my first 2 Travis gigs on CD! :)

I'll send it later, better than nothing! :)

Nikki
Nikki Posted Fri 09 May, 2008 8:02 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
Oh jeez that's the one I was talking about! Haha. Well, it might not be. Maybe he said it more than once. Is it at Parr Hall, Warrington? If so, its the same as I got. I wouldn't usually keep it because it isn't that amazing quality but it was my first Travis concert! I managed to find audio of my first 2 Travis gigs from the net!!! So I've got my first 2 Travis gigs on CD! :)

I'll send it later, better than nothing! :)

I think he said it more than once.

Groovy, thanks! :O)

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 9:06 PM