Travis

Re: J Smith on KCRW Morning Becomes Electic
BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sat 03 May, 2008 3:45 PM Quote
briandsutton wrote:
I know this site is full of Travis die hards so nobody on here will probably agree with me when I give my opinion but here it is anyway. First off I think most of it is amazing but because there is so many changeups through out the song I like certin bits alot more than others, the first minute sounds the most travis and I like it alot, as far as the choir parts I absolutly love it at the minute and thirty second mark of the song but at the 2 minute to 2 minutes and 20 second mark I don't like ......yet. I say yet because I've questioned other new travis songs before and after a while certain things grow on you after a time, hopefully this bit is one of those things but as for now I think it's a little much, I don't even know how that part ties in or seems like it's the same song as the rest of it but like I said knowing the musical genius fran is It'll probably take me a while of listening before I can see the magnifigance of it. It makes me question how do song writers come up with songs that with time really grow on you, because don't they really have to enjoy it and be super gratified during the writing process, thats always puzzled me.

Thats ok. We all have different opinions. :) Like, for me, i don't like Out In Space. I really don't. And unlike healyramirez obviously, i really don't like The Beautiful Occupation (i really don't hear it in J Smith). Personally i think that bit you don't like makes the song amazing. I imagine you aren't into bands like Muse or even Radiohead who do songs like this all the time (changing during the song). J Smith is like a mini Paranoid Android (Radiohead). In fact, if Paranoid Android went on to include J Smith it would be the greatest song of all time. I personally love songs like that and i hope Travis do more of it in the future... Fran?... Haha :)

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Sat 03 May, 2008 3:51 PM Quote
Don't worry about offending us too much, so long as your opinions are constructive, we don't mind. You made some interesting points, but I think that the song will sound more 'normal' when it's part of the album, though it does sound a bit strange at the moment! Try not listening for a bit, maybe until the album release, and have another listen then.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Sat 03 May, 2008 4:57 PM Quote
the boy with a cryptic name wrote:
Don't worry about offending us too much, so long as your opinions are constructive, we don't mind. You made some interesting points, but I think that the song will sound more 'normal' when it's part of the album, though it does sound a bit strange at the moment! Try not listening for a bit, maybe until the album release, and have another listen then.

I agree with your point about the song making more sense to some listeners once they've heard it on the album. Personally, I think the song is a masterpiece on its own, but I don't know if it would make a great first single. It might be a bit to "out there" to start off with.

It's funny how everyone is saying the same things about this track. I had my brother listen to it and I didn't say a word. After the song I was like..."what do you think?" He said: "Is that Fran singing? He sounds different. The song is really different for Travis, but I like it...it's epic sounding."

:)

Euan
Euan Posted Sat 03 May, 2008 5:58 PM Quote
Who has a copy for a poor, unfortunate bugger like myself that didn't go on the website in time?!

Are
Are Posted Sat 03 May, 2008 6:02 PM Quote
Euan wrote:
Who has a copy for a poor, unfortunate bugger like myself that didn't go on the website in time?!

Here you'll find the file!

http://rapidshare.com/files/112089309/02_J_Smith.mp3.html

review of j smith
soniahearttravis
soniahearttravis Posted Sun 04 May, 2008 2:12 AM Quote
first, i can't believe i'm like 10,000th to hear it. i wish i lived in the UK!!

moving on, the song itself was an interesting mix of the mid 1980's, Gregorian chant (which i loved by the way) and good old rock n roll travis. it takes me ever so slightly back to good feeling (the album) but with an overall more sophisticated, intricate sound. just a masterful overlay of guitar, percussion and (exquisite) vocals. interesting choice to do a vocal/guitar breakout bit in the middle instead of a straight guitar solo. i like that you changed it up (even though i always enjoy andy's solos!). of course, having listened to it now, i am super-antsy to hear the rest of the album which promises to be wicked! so the short of it is, i loved it. nicely done mr healy!

kmouse
kmouse Posted Sun 04 May, 2008 2:22 AM Quote
If someone can send me the MP3 I would be forever grateful...

EDIT: Never mind, got it. THANKS!

EDIT 2: WOW. I love it. Yes, This is what I was waiting for! And by the way, what do y'all mean when you say it doesn't sound "Travis-y"? It sounds the way it sounds and yes it does sound different from other albums but that is a GOOD thing in my opinion. Things have to evolve. Can't wait for this album!

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sun 04 May, 2008 2:43 AM Quote
People say it doesnt sound Travisy because... it doesnt sound Travisy. lol Or do you think it does? People aren't saying its bad, its just a statement that it is different. Its no bad thing, in fact its a good thing that they're creating different music.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sun 04 May, 2008 2:52 AM Quote
Soniahearttravis- I agree with what you say. It reminds me of Good Feeling but its certainly more complex, just like the rest of the songs actually with the added piano, which is simply brilliant. Its going to be quite Musey in parts, as J Smith shows. :) The piano on Chinese Blues is fantastic.

Oh and hearing the song so soon has nothing to do with where people are from. :)

loria
loria Posted Sun 04 May, 2008 4:07 AM Quote
this song is just gorgeous. a really beautiful growth for the Travis I know and love :D

xx

Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Sun 04 May, 2008 6:03 AM Quote
lost-angel wrote:
the boy with a cryptic name wrote:
Read the bottom of this page :)
And then click the link!

(thanx cryptic! i really wanted to listen to it yersterday when i heard about it but i just found your link.)

A very well-made song. The first part got my attention instantly and carried on until the end of the song which intensified when the choir stepped in. I love the attention-grabbing “ooohhh” part. (It has a touch of Beatles in it, especially the first one.)

I can’t stop listening to it. Perfect chords, perfect lyrics and perfect voice!

Now, I “REALLY” can’t wait for the next album.

"the end of the song which intensified when the choir stepped in"

" Perfect chords, perfect lyrics and perfect voice! "

Like an orgasm :)

erikausagi
erikausagi Posted Sun 04 May, 2008 6:14 AM Quote
different, but Travis at the same time... I like it since the first time that I heard it, indeed almost sound like in the club tour, there hasn't a big difference.

I can't wait for get the album in my own hands!!! Fran, Neil, Andy & Doug, congratulations!!! you did an excellent work!!

by any chance... do you have any temptative date release for it?? I need to mark on my calendar until get it!!! PLEAAAASEEEE!!!

castaspella
castaspella Posted Sun 04 May, 2008 7:34 AM Quote
I was lucky enough to be listening to MBE while at work and caught the song. It is absolutely fantastic I wish I could listen to it again...and again...and again :) but I think the show has been replaced with the most recent one. I am so psyched for the new album after hearing this teaser.

yulen10
yulen10 Posted Sun 04 May, 2008 12:27 PM Quote
Could anyone upload the song in a different page where this f+++++g cat doesn´t appear...? thanks.

Mikko85
Mikko85 Posted Sun 04 May, 2008 12:51 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
J Smith is like a mini Paranoid Android (Radiohead). In fact, if Paranoid Android went on to include J Smith it would be the greatest song of all time. I personally love songs like that and i hope Travis do more of it in the future... Fran?... Haha :)

for me, this is the only problem with J.Smith. It's too short for an 'epic rock opera' in the Paranoid Android/Jesus of Suburbia (Green Day) style. There's not quite enough to it. It leaves me wanting more, which I guess is good really.

Pages Previous 1...11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 Next All Times BST Current Time 11:57 AM