Travis

I shot a gun
alyrtle
alyrtle Posted Sun 13 Apr, 2008 9:56 AM Quote
So yesterday, I learned how to shoot a gun. Mind you, I'm 18, asian, and petite. ahaha, the trip to the shooting ranch was totally spontaneous so I was wearing what many people would call "Sunday's best" type of clothes. Interesting sight for those observing, I'm sure. Anyway, I got to fire about 14 shots at this outline of a human body on a piece of dangling paper. I got 7 good shots at the chest and one in the neck!!! Trained man killaaaa :D haha

After that, I went to eat and sat at this bench beneath a palm tree and all the sudden, the bundle of weird chunks at the top just FELL DOWN on me and my friend but somehow missed us--chunks as big and heavy as coconuts!!! Then today I hiked 5 miles and learned how to drive on the freeway. I'm quite proud of myself, can you tell? :D

Re: I shot a gun
goosey_84
goosey_84 Posted Sun 13 Apr, 2008 11:16 AM Quote
i'm jealous! i've wanted to visit a shooting range for over a year now. haven't managed to find someone to accompany me yet. will continue to work on it.

....right on aly!

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Sun 13 Apr, 2008 11:37 AM Quote
goosey_84 wrote:
i'm jealous! i've wanted to visit a shooting range for over a year now. haven't managed to find someone to accompany me yet. will continue to work on it.

Count me in!

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sun 13 Apr, 2008 11:52 AM Quote
I've fired a few guns in my time...

Lee Enfield .22 Bolt Action Rifle
Lee Enfield 303 Mk IV Bolt Action Rifle

http://images21.fotki.com/v631/photos/4/47955/3035692/jisii_LE_MAR2007-vi.jpg

SA-80 LA85A1 Sub Machine Gun

http://www.misklin.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/misklin/sa80.h2.jpg

Bren L4A4 Fully Automatic Light Machine Gun
http://world.guns.ru/machine/bren_l4a4.jpg

Always wanted to try firing a pistol though, total different stance and all that.

Dubz

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sun 13 Apr, 2008 12:20 PM Quote
Bored so have some Gun related songs...

Aerosmith
The Clash
The Jesus and Mary Chain
Blues Brothers
Beatles
The Specials
Boogie Down Productions
Public Enemy
JXBeastie Boys note the Led Zeppelin riff
Johnny Cash
and one for Grinner The Jam
Spooky
Rage Against the Machine
Stone Roses
Audio Bully's feat. Nancy Sinatra
Spiritualized

Dubz

Soulslug
Soulslug Posted Sun 13 Apr, 2008 5:12 PM Quote
aws sounds like a great adventurous day!

guns make me cringe me though.

SamuraiSandy
SamuraiSandy Posted Sun 13 Apr, 2008 5:58 PM Quote
oooh! fun!
what kind of gun did you shoot? my first time, i shot a glock-9mm. it was a bit scary...being so loud and all. but, i got used to it after a bit, and i have to say, it's somewhat empowering.
don't think i could ever own one, but the gun range is always fun.

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Sun 13 Apr, 2008 6:45 PM Quote
Am I the only one who finds this creepy?
I see no fun in learning how to shoot another human being. But that's just me. Maybe it's a cultural thing I don't understand *shrugs*.

Lemon Grinner
Lemon Grinner Posted Sun 13 Apr, 2008 6:47 PM Quote
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window wrote:
I see no fun in learning how to shoot another human being. But that's just me. Maybe it's a cultural thing I don't understand *shrugs*.

Yeah I'm not a fan of shooting, myself. Yet things like archery I don't seem to have a problem with. I think it's just guns and gun culture. Scares me.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Sun 13 Apr, 2008 8:11 PM Quote

you shoulde see what a few said on the TFC site about guns . Been ages since I fired off any . nothing wrong with goin to the rifle range to me

Esteban
Esteban Posted Sun 13 Apr, 2008 10:18 PM Quote

I think it's unfair to come to the definite conclusion that Alyrtle was there specifically to learn how to shoot another person. It seems like it's a pastime, just like fishing or dare I say hunting? I wouldn't get too anxious about the idea of Alyrtle going to the mall and going postal on everyone.

Alyrtle, if you do go down to the mall and kill everyone, you'll make me look incredibly stupid, so please don't. Thanks ;-)

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Sun 13 Apr, 2008 10:19 PM Quote
Maybe she's just trying to get into the Soma Diaries?

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Mon 14 Apr, 2008 2:00 AM Quote
Esteban wrote:

I think it's unfair to come to the definite conclusion that Alyrtle was there specifically to learn how to shoot another person. It seems like it's a pastime, just like fishing or dare I say hunting? I wouldn't get too anxious about the idea of Alyrtle going to the mall and going postal on everyone.

Alyrtle, if you do go down to the mall and kill everyone, you'll make me look incredibly stupid, so please don't. Thanks ;-)

Who said she was going to go out and shoot everyone? Don't put words in my mouth, please.
I don't see the fun in hunting either. The idea of shooting is to at least injure an animal / person. That's the whole point of shooting. That's why fire guns were created in the first place, and that's the only thing they're useful for. Even if you don't go out and practice on animals/people, when you learn how to shoot your aim is a human-shaped thingy. It makes me uncomfortable. It's part of a certain culture, like I said in my previous post. I just don't share it, that's all. And I have every right not to.
If people have fun doing it, good for them. I just expressed my opinion. Not accusing anyone of anything.

Esteban
Esteban Posted Mon 14 Apr, 2008 3:14 AM Quote
Esteban wrote:

Who said she was going to go out and shoot everyone? Don't put words in my mouth, please.
I don't see the fun in hunting either. The idea of shooting is to at least injure an animal / person. That's the whole point of shooting. That's why fire guns were created in the first place, and that's the only thing they're useful for. Even if you don't go out and practice on animals/people, when you learn how to shoot your aim is a human-shaped thingy. It makes me uncomfortable. It's part of a certain culture, like I said in my previous post. I just don't share it, that's all. And I have every right not to.
If people have fun doing it, good for them. I just expressed my opinion. Not accusing anyone of anything.

I was making a light-hearted remark, but if you want to take ot overly seriously then go ahead. Can you elaborate on what you mean by 'a certain culture', and 'cultural thing you don't understand'?

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Mon 14 Apr, 2008 4:29 AM Quote
Esteban wrote:

I was making a light-hearted remark, but if you want to take ot overly seriously then go ahead. Can you elaborate on what you mean by 'a certain culture', and 'cultural thing you don't understand'?

It's ok, I just wanted to clarify that I don't think that Alyrtle is going to go out and shoot everyone :oP

My english is a bit too out of use to express myself on this matter, but I'll try. What I mean is that I think there's a gun culture that's growing in Occident, in which owning guns, shooting, etc, is seen as a normal thing. It's like a social legitimation of firearms.
And I'm not used to it. It's not normal here to own a gun or to know how to shoot.
I hope you can understand what I mean.

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 7:57 AM