Woot!!

Re: NHL Playoffs begin tonight
ricv64
ricv64 Posted Thu 10 Apr, 2008 5:49 PM Quote
REDWINGS ALL THE WAY

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Thu 10 Apr, 2008 5:53 PM Quote
Even the big weird green statue supports the Red Wings. http://www.everythingmagnets.com/magnets/redwingstatue.jpg

Nikki
Nikki Posted Thu 10 Apr, 2008 11:32 PM Quote
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!GO RED WINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nikki
Nikki Posted Thu 10 Apr, 2008 11:46 PM Quote
:D I'm here! Just been busy at work and unable to check the board. But I'll be watching tonight for SURE!! I'm so freakin excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I actually wrote a column about playoff hockey, lol! If anyone wants to read it, I can post it up! :)

http://i32.tinypic.com/29dziah.jpg

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Fri 11 Apr, 2008 12:24 AM Quote
Ha ha! I bet Nikki is riding around with a broom in her car already.

So, anybody have any playoff superstitions? Mine used to be folding laundry during a game. Guaranteed a win!

Nikki
Nikki Posted Fri 11 Apr, 2008 3:28 AM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
Ha ha! I bet Nikki is riding around with a broom in her car already.

So, anybody have any playoff superstitions? Mine used to be folding laundry during a game. Guaranteed a win!

Wooooot! *high five* WHAT A GAME BY THE WINGS!!!!!!

I just counted how many text messages I got from friends and family and coworkers during the game....Total: 12. LOL!

Kayte, my playoff superstition is that I have to have my fuzzy red wing blanket wrapped around me. And when it's like a serious situation in the game, I move from the couch to the floor and kneel in front of the TV. Never fails. Yes...I know I'm crazy. But it's playoff time!!! :D

My brother was at the game with his friends and girlfriend. I can't wait for him to get home so he can tell me all about it!

Do you guys get the NHL Network? I LOVE their commercials!

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Fri 11 Apr, 2008 4:11 AM Quote
whats up with the octopus ?

minnmess
minnmess Posted Fri 11 Apr, 2008 4:51 AM Quote
GO Sens (please disregard last nights game) and GO Habs!

Did anyone watch the Habs game tonight? Made me laugh. They were singing "na na na na....hey hey hey goodbye" with 10 minutes left in game 1! Oh montreal, you are the greatest!
And i would really like Alfredsson, Kelly, and Fisher to get better quickly so that my beloved Sens have a chance.

Darran
Darran Posted Fri 11 Apr, 2008 10:06 AM Quote
Nabakov robbed The Flames last night with a wonder save. :-(

Grrrrrr

Thats the sort of save I made back in the days of a fully working catching arm.

Talking of ads what about

JC Petite

Nikki
Nikki Posted Fri 11 Apr, 2008 12:47 PM Quote
ricv64 wrote:
whats up with the octopus ?

Fan Tradition: The Octopus

The "Legend of the Octopus" is a sports tradition during Detroit Red Wings home playoff games, in which an octopus is thrown onto the ice surface for good luck.

During the playoffs, Joe Louis Arena is generally adorned with a giant octopus with red eyes, nicknamed "Al" after Joe Louis Arena head ice manager Al Sobotka.

The 1952 playoffs featured the start of the tradition—the octopus throw. The owner of a local fish market, Peter Cusimano, threw one from the stands onto the ice. The eight legs were purportedly symbolic of the eight wins it took to win the Stanley Cup at the time. The Red Wings went on to sweep both of their opponents that year en route to a Stanley Cup championship. The NHL has, at various times, tried to eliminate this tradition but it continues to this day.

There is a certain etiquette that must be followed for fans that wish to throw octopuses onto the ice. The most appropriate time to throw an octopus onto the ice is after the national anthem is sung or after the Red Wings have scored a goal. Under these circumstances, the eight-legged creature must be thrown onto the ice surface in an area that is clear of all players. It is never acceptable to aim for opposing players. Beforehand, octopuses are usually boiled by fans to reduce the amount of "slime" coating and facilitate the time it takes to clean up the ice and prevent further delay. Al Sobotka is the man responsible for removing the thrown creatures from the ice. He is known for swinging the tossed octopuses above his head when walking off the ice. Since Joe Louis Arena does not condone the throwing of any foreign objects onto the ice, fans often sneak the sea creatures in wrapped around their bellies in trash bags. The boiling process also lessens the odor and allows the fans to get past security. Tactics are also used to protect the identity of octopus-throwers from arena security. It is common practice for the hurler to ask the surrounding people to stand up with him to shroud the task in anonymity.

:)

minnesotamary
minnesotamary Posted Fri 11 Apr, 2008 1:48 PM Quote
The Dallas Stars shut out the Ducks 4-0 last night, thank you very much! I knew that Sandy would call me every time they scored...and sure enough, hehe! (well, I did text her on the third goal since I was getting ready for bed!).

This weekend is all about hockey, woohoo!

minnesotamary
minnesotamary Posted Fri 11 Apr, 2008 2:07 PM Quote
The Dallas Stars have somewhat of a tradition too. As the National Anthem is sung, they yell 'STARS' every time the word 'star' comes up in the song...it's pretty cool although some people (like non-Stars fans) might take offense. But it makes the anthem more fun to sing!

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Fri 11 Apr, 2008 2:55 PM Quote
Ah, the sweet, sweet empty net goal!

Watching the game with a 6-year-old is quite an experience. This was her first time watching hockey. Here is an abbreviated list of questions I had to answer.

1. Why isn't there a player #1? Why is there a player #96 when there are not that many people on the team?

2. Heyyyy, they're on skates! Why are they on skates? When we play floor hockey at school we just wear our shoes.

3. What are those things on the ice? What does octopi mean? (Are they calling them octopuses now? Is that acceptable? 'Cause it's way easier.) Why do they throw octopuses on the ice?

4. Why are they all hitting that guy?

5. Why does that guy have to have a time out?

6. What do they do in between each period?

7. Why is the audience waving towels around?

Actually, this wasn't her first hockey game. I remember when she was 2, when she saw the Red Wings in their red uniforms, she pointed and said, "Santa Clause!"

SamuraiSandy
SamuraiSandy Posted Fri 11 Apr, 2008 3:01 PM Quote
minnesotamary wrote:
The Dallas Stars shut out the Ducks 4-0 last night, thank you very much! I knew that Sandy would call me every time they scored...and sure enough, hehe! (well, I did text her on the third goal since I was getting ready for bed!).

This weekend is all about hockey, woohoo!

Oh man, I am so glad they won--in Anaheim too!! This is gonna be an interesting series!

Pages Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Times BST Current Time 12:43 PM