Travis

The Boy With No Name
GMS1968
GMS1968 Posted Sun 30 Mar, 2008 8:20 PM Quote
I have read some opinions about, The Boy With No Name, where people have said that they think there is a lot of "filler" or that, The Boy With No Name gets weaker in the second half.
I totally disagree, as songs like, Out in space/ Colder and Sailing away, are fantastic and hold thier own with the songs in the first half of the album. Just picking 3 of my favourites there, because the album surely just takes off in a different direction.

Just my opinion.
What do you think?

Re: The Boy With No Name
weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Sun 30 Mar, 2008 8:22 PM Quote
I would agree that the second half has a different feeling to it but I really like it.

TK23
TK23 Posted Sun 30 Mar, 2008 8:26 PM Quote
I think the whole album is brilliant!

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sun 30 Mar, 2008 8:38 PM Quote
My 8 favourite tracks on the album are the first 8. I dislike Out In Space and I'm not hugely keen on Under The Moonlight. I love the album (5 stars) but if it was cut from 14-11 (and cut the right songs of course) it would be even better I think. I think it does go off a bit towards the end. Ode To J Smith (I hope that's the name), doesn't at all. Brilliant from start to finish!!! :)

Nikki
Nikki Posted Sun 30 Mar, 2008 11:05 PM Quote
weirdmom wrote:
I would agree that the second half has a different feeling to it but I really like it.

Ditto. It has a different feeling after "One Night" for me, but I like that it changes. It's nice. Then there is the surprise of "Colder" towards the end, which I think has a sound similar to the first half of the album.

mozman68
mozman68 Posted Mon 31 Mar, 2008 12:58 AM Quote
I'm surprised how much I like the whole album....I get in this funk where I listen to nothing but the songs I know they will play in concert....it's usually months later that I start playing the album from beginning to end and think "F**k...why did I waste so much time not listening to songs I really like?"

laura_bjski
laura_bjski Posted Mon 31 Mar, 2008 1:09 AM Quote
Nikki wrote:
weirdmom wrote:

Ditto. It has a different feeling after "One Night" for me, but I like that it changes. It's nice. Then there is the surprise of "Colder" towards the end, which I think has a sound similar to the first half of the album.

I agree with you, the cd changes with the amazing song "One Night" and them turn again to the first half of the Album.

I really like it...
i think that this album , like a girl said before..., it's BRILLIANT

I hope very long time for this CD and I think that they do a WONDERFUL Material

lost-angel
lost-angel Posted Mon 31 Mar, 2008 11:08 AM Quote
weirdmom wrote:

I liked the entire album too but to compare other songs from one another, i think, is unfair because nothing will ever get hold of the levels of “my eyes" and "selfish jean" for me. They set the bar so high that some are craving for songs that would make the same effect.

The second half is still delightful to listen to “out in space” is my favorite from that half.

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Mon 31 Mar, 2008 5:36 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:
weirdmom wrote:

I agree with you, Nikki.
I like the first part more, but the second is great too. And I also think that Colder sounds similar to the first part.
I love that album. It made me so happy from the first time I listened to it when I bought it :o)

Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Mon 31 Mar, 2008 6:02 PM Quote
Lets face it you can never please everybody but as albums go , TBWNN is one of my favourite albums that I enjoy right through , of all time. Frans voice has matured to a very high standard and the songs sound better than ever.Its relaxed and cool and very very nice to listen to , whether you are a Travis fan or not.

This next album is different and I think I am gonna like it moreso (there are bound to be some that dont!) Ode to J Smith is very exciting music , I can't wait to have it around me :-)

I can show you a few mute clips of it at Nottingham , if anyone wants to see lol..... Actually I am rather glad mute was on now as I want to hear it again next at its absolute best :-)

melissa
melissa Posted Mon 31 Mar, 2008 6:15 PM Quote
I think it's a good album, sounds like glad travis.
the brilliant songs for me ar 3 times and u lose, eyes wide open and one night
but my fav is 12 memories.

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Mon 31 Mar, 2008 11:31 PM Quote
I think my lesser-favourite part of TBWNN is more the middle - My Eyes, One Night, Under The Moonlight and Out In Space. They aren't bad, but they don't really grab my attention. Mind you, I can kinda say that for the album in general, compared to The Man Who or Invisible Band. It's not that I dislike the album... but to put it one way, if this was typical of all Travis' albums, they wouldn't be my favourite band.

Roll on Ode to J. Smith!

RaZzZ
RaZzZ Posted Tue 01 Apr, 2008 12:18 AM Quote
GMS1968 wrote:
I have read some opinions about, The Boy With No Name, where people have said that they think there is a lot of "filler" or that, The Boy With No Name gets weaker in the second half.
I totally disagree, as songs like, Out in space/ Colder and Sailing away, are fantastic and hold thier own with the songs in the first half of the album. Just picking 3 of my favourites there, because the album surely just takes off in a different direction.

Just my opinion.
What do you think?

The best travis album at the moment

Nikki
Nikki Posted Tue 01 Apr, 2008 5:54 AM Quote
Typing to Reach You wrote:
I think my lesser-favourite part of TBWNN is more the middle - My Eyes, One Night, Under The Moonlight and Out In Space. They aren't bad, but they don't really grab my attention. Mind you, I can kinda say that for the album in general, compared to The Man Who or Invisible Band. It's not that I dislike the album... but to put it one way, if this was typical of all Travis' albums, they wouldn't be my favourite band.

Roll on Ode to J. Smith!

Hey Luke! Wow! I'm really surprised "My Eyes" doesn't grab your attention much. It's one of my favorites on the album...maybe my favorite. Interesting to read these different opinions. It just goes to show you that you can never please everyone, however I think Travis did a great job with TBWNN. I love that album more and more every time I listen to it, but I'm dying to hear Ode to J. Smith as well!!!!

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Tue 01 Apr, 2008 12:24 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:
Typing to Reach You wrote:

Roll on Ode to J. Smith!

Hey Luke! Wow! I'm really surprised "My Eyes" doesn't grab your attention much. It's one of my favorites on the album...maybe my favorite. Interesting to read these different opinions. It just goes to show you that you can never please everyone, however I think Travis did a great job with TBWNN. I love that album more and more every time I listen to it, but I'm dying to hear Ode to J. Smith as well!!!!

Yeah, well the thing with My Eyes for me is, it has its catchy parts (my favourite being the 'welcome in' bit). But catchiness only works for a while and then the novelty kinda dies off, and I don't think you're left with much musically. And the chorus melody is just kinda repetitive and uninspiring. :/ It's not a bad little pop song but... meh. I'm hoping the new'n will involve more grittiness and raw emotion, which TBWNN didn't have so much of. Although I love Closer and you couldn't call that gritty lol.

I agree though, it's interesting to see different people's opinions on these kinda things.

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 1:05 AM