Travis

Had an opinion, now we all think the same...
MikeCALIFTRAVIS
MikeCALIFTRAVIS Posted Wed 27 Feb, 2008 1:26 AM Quote
Anyone else find that notion quite unsettling? Me, I think diversity is great and the more people that speak up, the better....Are more diverse opinions becoming the norm or rarer???

Anyone? Anyone?

Term paper due next week.

Mike

Re: Had an opinion, now we all think the same...
Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Wed 27 Feb, 2008 9:52 AM Quote
Hmmm ...I think they are becoming the norm.

bara
bara Posted Wed 27 Feb, 2008 9:59 AM Quote
i hope i understood right what youre writing.

well i guess its all in age.
if you look at the media, ads and so on.. nope. soon nobody will have different opinions, especially teenager. media is telling us when we have to do what, what we have to think about things, which clothes we have to wear, and so on.

on the other side are ppl who really hates exactly that. and theyve got an strictly other opinion.

its not very healthy. because it hasnt to be bad what media tells us. but it could. many ppl just do or not do what they say.
too less ppl think about the good and bad points.. and ponder them...

Moray
Moray Posted Wed 27 Feb, 2008 10:16 AM Quote
I especially enjoy Goth kids, who express their uniqueness of opinion ...... by all dressing the same thing and liking the same things. Way to not fit in guys!!

If we're talking music as an example of uniqueness, everyone is so concerned by populist opinion. That they either like something because they feel they're supposed to, since something is deemed 'important' or 'new' and 'cool' (E.g. top 100 albums of all time lists..... I know I'm supposed to like Nevermind...). Or they take the reactionary stand point. They DON'T like something because it is mainstream, commercial, and because somebody else likes it and thinks its cool. (.... but I don't like Nevermind, because everyone else does. Plus it's a shit album thats over rated).

Since the world has fast become some crazy tiny planet, connected by freedom of information on the internet, everyone seems to want to spout an opinion they read somewhere. Precious little true freedom of thought goes on these days. Hey, somebody has probably written something just the same as that.

In fact, good luck writing a term paper on uniqueness of thought without spouting cliches that have been written a thousand times before! Classic irony!!!

bara
bara Posted Wed 27 Feb, 2008 11:03 AM Quote
i especially like "happy emos" haha. so many teenager papers writing stuff about Emos. yes, they are different, we know now..at least they really ALL look the same.
and its in most music styles i guess.
well. if they think so.. they hava do it.
as long as they are open to everyone else and not think others are bad. ..

i dont know whats happening in this world.. ^^

Countrygent
Countrygent Posted Wed 27 Feb, 2008 1:35 PM Quote
emo is just buffy regurg and buffy was siouxsie regurg

Lemon Grinner
Lemon Grinner Posted Wed 27 Feb, 2008 1:37 PM Quote
I like them emos who are convinced they ain't emo when they obviously really really are!

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Wed 27 Feb, 2008 1:42 PM Quote
" the world is a microcosm , people just tend to forget it's a microcosm " - Alan Hynes

missmoo
missmoo Posted Wed 27 Feb, 2008 1:49 PM Quote
MikeCALIFTRAVIS wrote:
Anyone else find that notion quite unsettling? Me, I think diversity is great and the more people that speak up, the better....Are more diverse opinions becoming the norm or rarer???

Anyone? Anyone?

Term paper due next week.

Mike

Are you after someone to do your term paper lol ?

Well Mike, diversity I think is a good thing.

The world would be a very dull place indeed if we all had the same opinion or views.

DAKOTA
DAKOTA Posted Wed 27 Feb, 2008 3:22 PM Quote
Quote:
they take the reactionary stand point. They DON'T like something because it is mainstream, commercial, and because somebody else likes it and thinks its cool

Some record clerk actually expressed this opinion to me the other day. Out loud. In the real world. They basically said they thought such and such record would suck because the band had gotten popular / praised for their first album, and they were surprised that it didn't suck. ???

I thought people who think like this try to deny it because it's so lame. Usually by saying something like "I prefer their earlier work" or some such nonsense.

This long and rambling post has nearly nothing to do with the topic. sorry.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Wed 27 Feb, 2008 4:02 PM Quote
DAKOTA wrote:
Quote:
they take the reactionary stand point. They DON'T like something because it is mainstream, commercial, and because somebody else likes it and thinks its cool

Some record clerk actually expressed this opinion to me the other day. Out loud. In the real world. They basically said they thought such and such record would suck because the band had gotten popular / praised for their first album, and they were surprised that it didn't suck. ???

I thought people who think like this try to deny it because it's so lame. Usually by saying something like "I prefer their earlier work" or some such nonsense.

Husker Du were played constantly on college radio , who constantly hyped them too, but when they signed to a major the stations stopped playng them .

most emo kids also don't know Rikk Agnew played on the first Christian Death album

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Wed 27 Feb, 2008 4:04 PM Quote
DAKOTA wrote:
Quote:

But it is helping you to reach your original goal... yes?? ;p

Dubz

*edit* GodDamnit Wrong Thread!!

Lemon Grinner
Lemon Grinner Posted Wed 27 Feb, 2008 4:11 PM Quote
Ohh ohhh there is a song with lyrics that fits this. Argh it's pissing me off not realising which one it is.

*thinks hard...*

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Wed 27 Feb, 2008 4:13 PM Quote
Lemon Grinner wrote:
Ohh ohhh there is a song with lyrics that fits this. Argh it's pissing me off not realising which one it is.

*thinks hard...*

is it ,

There was an old lady who swallowed a fly but I don't know why she swallowed a fly "?

Countrygent
Countrygent Posted Wed 27 Feb, 2008 4:14 PM Quote
emo is a label. emo is a brand.
Travis are a folk band.

Pages [1] 2 3 4 Next All Times BST Current Time 8:26 PM