Travis

Travis on Caledonia Dreaming
Tonie
Tonie Posted Sun 24 Feb, 2008 7:26 PM Quote
A quick search and no mention here of this gem of a programme which was on Friday night on BBC4.

Did nobody catch it?

A great potted history of Postcard records, the impact politics had on Scottish music, the impact Scottish music had on the British music scene, from Orange Juice onwards etc etc.

Ending up (almost) with a lovely mini feature on Travis, and including some vintage singles video footage from Good Feeling, and a snippet of WDIAROM.

And we now know that Fran's first gig was Hue and Cry! :)

Sublime TV, well narrated by Edith Bowman, and a great reminder of what wonderful music has come out of Scotland.

Any thoughts anyone?

Re: Travis on Caledonia Dreaming
gladsadmad
gladsadmad Posted Sun 24 Feb, 2008 7:43 PM Quote
Is it repeated anytime?

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Sun 24 Feb, 2008 8:04 PM Quote
That's annoying, I nearly watched that, but the first two minutes didn't interest me enough to carry on watching.

You can watch it here, I don't know if it works out of the UK.

gladsadmad
gladsadmad Posted Sun 24 Feb, 2008 8:12 PM Quote
Thanks, fast forward to about 50 mins in.

Fran likes Hue & Cry and Deacon Blue.

FranFlower
FranFlower Posted Sun 24 Feb, 2008 8:18 PM Quote
the boy with a cryptic name wrote:
That's annoying, I nearly watched that, but the first two minutes didn't interest me enough to carry on watching.

You can watch it here, I don't know if it works out of the UK.

Sorry, this programme is only available to play in the UK.

Great.. Could someone record it and share with us unfortunate non-UK people?

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Sun 24 Feb, 2008 9:00 PM Quote
I don't know how you'd record it, it's had a lot of copyright protection put on it.

It's only about 3 minutes, you're not missing much! Here's a transcript:

-----------------

[AWTDIR video clip]

Fran: Deacon Blue and Hue & Cry were just amazing. I loved the songsand... they were just great songs. I really don't care what it's dressed up like, it's all about the song.

[TTT90s video clip]

Voiceover: Travis were one of the first bands to combine indie credibility with huge commercial appeal.

Fran: I think all Scottish bands essentially have a really, really acute pop sensibility. Some of them embrace that more than others. And I think Travis embraced it more than just... anyone really.
Dougie: An acute sense of melody

[WDIAROM video clip]

Voiceover:As Travis topped the charts in the late 90s, the music business was beginning to change...

[Belle and Sebastian bit]

Tonie
Tonie Posted Sun 24 Feb, 2008 9:02 PM Quote
gladsadmad wrote:
fast forward to about 50 mins in.

That's just for the Travis bit- and as lovely as it is, don't miss the rest. This was a great piece of tv from start to finish. I learnt a lot, and was treated to sightings of so many of past & present heroes.

Nice reminders of Belle & Sebastian's Brit experience, interviews with Del Amitri, Hue & Cry, Deacon Blue et al. All good and worth an hour of anyone's time (if you're in the UK, & sorry to rub it in for non UK residents)

Ursina
Ursina Posted Mon 25 Feb, 2008 9:51 AM Quote
Yes I did see it ! Was a very brilliant programme and what a great surprise to see Fran and Dougie ! Hue & Cry !? hmmmm interesting ! lol

jambut
jambut Posted Mon 25 Feb, 2008 9:41 PM Quote
yer was a great programme downloaded it on to my iplayer. I was surprised to see it was a little advertised BBC 4 programme. As a 90s child bands like travis and franz ferdinand and more recently the view and amy macdonald really are the soundtrack to my life and hopefully most people my age "17" think the same way (apart from the musically uneducated, spittin, drunken chavs who play bloody random gangster rap full blast on their mobiles while im tryin to listen to sum decent music.) It seems to me it would be more suited to the younger audience of bbc3.

gladsadmad
gladsadmad Posted Tue 26 Feb, 2008 8:51 AM Quote
the boy with a cryptic name wrote:
Fran: I really don't care what it's dressed up like, it's all about the song.

Dougie: An acute sense of melody.

They're right, it's like what they've always said, that's what it's all about, not the image of the band.

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 6:23 AM