Who would work if they didn't have to?

Re: Work
Alisha
Alisha Posted Thu 21 Feb, 2008 5:18 PM Quote
Rhoobarb wrote:
Who would work if they didn't have to?

if could get where I want to?
me me me me!
I still get surprised some people get paid for some jobs I consider the ultimate dream-jobs!

deebee
deebee Posted Thu 21 Feb, 2008 5:28 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
I used to do security which was 15hour night shifts the way it worked out I did 82 hours one week and 67 the following constantly for about a year.

btw, I am now supposed to do a 36.25 hour week but it never works out like that.

Dubz

Bloody hell! I do 15 hours teaching in one WEEK!!! No wonder people take the p**s about me being a part-timer!

Helen *the original*
Helen *the original* Posted Thu 21 Feb, 2008 7:18 PM Quote
I work 36.5 hours a week in a library the size of a shoe box. It can be really slow at times, especially when no one comes in for 2 hours! The plus side is i get to take decent books home to read and i'm in the process of drawing children's book characters to make a display for the children. It's good money for doing bugger all but it isn't very fulfilling even if i do go out of my way to help someone who is stuck. I probably feel this way because the woman i work with (there's only 2 of us) is very bitter about things at times...just hope it doesn't rub off! So trying to come up with ideas to keep me sane in my head but there's no one to mess around with really because i'm the "young blood" But hey it's something to do for the time being and it's 2 mins from my house with decent hours.

Esteban
Esteban Posted Thu 21 Feb, 2008 7:41 PM Quote
Love it.

Pays for all the good stuff in life, stops me getting bored silly. Actually good fun as well.

minnesotamary
minnesotamary Posted Thu 21 Feb, 2008 8:38 PM Quote
Today I hate it. I'm tired of new executives coming in and changing everything, making us peons do all the work. I'm a little disgruntled. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day :)

Esteban
Esteban Posted Fri 22 Feb, 2008 12:35 AM Quote
Helen *the original* wrote:
I work 36.5 hours a week in a library the size of a shoe box. It can be really slow at times, especially when no one comes in for 2 hours! The plus side is i get to take decent books home to read and i'm in the process of drawing children's book characters to make a display for the children. It's good money for doing bugger all but it isn't very fulfilling even if i do go out of my way to help someone who is stuck. I probably feel this way because the woman i work with (there's only 2 of us) is very bitter about things at times...just hope it doesn't rub off! So trying to come up with ideas to keep me sane in my head but there's no one to mess around with really because i'm the "young blood" But hey it's something to do for the time being and it's 2 mins from my house with decent hours.

Are you a naturally quiet person? Just wondered how you get on with the no talking loudly stuff.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Fri 22 Feb, 2008 12:53 AM Quote
Esteban wrote:

Are you a naturally quiet person? Just wondered how you get on with the no talking loudly stuff.

If there's no one there for hours at a time, she could probably scream her head off if she wanted to. Although that might not be cool with the bitter lady.

Esteban
Esteban Posted Fri 22 Feb, 2008 12:58 AM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
Esteban wrote:

If there's no one there for hours at a time, she could probably scream her head off if she wanted to. Although that might not be cool with the bitter lady.

Maybe that's why she's bitter? Helen screaming her spleen out onto the counter.

sorry angel
sorry angel Posted Fri 22 Feb, 2008 8:10 AM Quote
With the 35h week regulation in France...I can not count the amount of unpaid overtime I had to do. The most was on the movie job I had a couple of years ago, average 12 hours per day + 2hours drive to get there with many days up to 16h, go to bed at 3am and start at 6...all that having to drive actors, producers around as well as PA job. I did that for 5 months and I was a ghost at the end. The only people who do 35h per week in France are either in big companies or civil servants.

Moray
Moray Posted Fri 22 Feb, 2008 8:11 AM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:

Hey look Turtlneck, you were right!!! A nice young librarian!!!

Sanne (nl)
Sanne (nl) Posted Fri 22 Feb, 2008 8:58 AM Quote
Love my job! work 20 hrs a week and spend the rest of it at home with my daughter. The thing i don't love is the "reorganising", we are becoming part of a bigger organization, that is quite crappy. But the actual work is great.
(I work as a family counselor/ speechtherapist with families with very young deaf children. Helping parents to re-find their skills to communicate with their child, signing or otherwise.)

Helen *the original*
Helen *the original* Posted Fri 22 Feb, 2008 12:53 PM Quote
Esteban wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:
Esteban wrote:

Maybe that's why she's bitter? Helen screaming her spleen out onto the counter.

Ha ha! Well i am sorta quiet but saying that sometimes i chat on or laugh. I've not told anyone to be quiet yet so they can't expect me to quiet down. I was training at a bigger library and they were louder than anyone!

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Fri 22 Feb, 2008 2:21 PM Quote
MoraySwan wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Hey look Turtlneck, you were right!!! A nice young librarian!!!

Well...what do you know! I was hoping you would notice.

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Fri 22 Feb, 2008 2:48 PM Quote
Run, Helen, RUN!

Pages Previous 1 2 [3] 4 Next All Times BST Current Time 1:45 PM