Travis

Ramp it up a notch
opulo01
opulo01 Posted Thu 27 Dec, 2007 7:10 AM Quote
Travis,

I love your stuff. Through and through. But please, you need to take it up a notch. You're concerts rock, especially when you play the cover at the end. I was at the April 29 or 30th concert in LA this past spring in '07 - and "Back in Black" freekin rocked!!!!

I'm back from the bar right now, so I may be a little inebriated, but listen to this: you're live concerts need a deliberate extended version of your songs. You play the record - too predictable. Play the feeling from the same recording! Break it out and play the songs a little different from the way they are recorded. The greatest bands that have ever been have always twisted it just a little bit live!

Andy went into the audience and WAILED on the guitar, on the floor - freakin sweet - but I want more!!! Mix up the song as it was recorded - show me what you guys are really made of!! I know you can create something on stage that no one has ever done before.

No coorelation, but the Dave Matthews Band has a different show every time they go on stage. Do the same and you'll be better they are!! You're music, your lyrics, and your sound can be so much deeper and greater than Dave. Your stuff is about a bigger message of Love and the World - and compared to DMB, that's a big statement.

Love you guys,
Keep it coming!!
Cheers,
Matt - USA - Chicago

Re: Ramp it up a notch
Eledh
Eledh Posted Thu 27 Dec, 2007 11:18 AM Quote
I would love to see them in a different kinda of show but... I would love them in any case.
I'm not totally agree with you... Because I think that every concert is different.
Even when I watch the concert in dvd... And the dvd is always the same... I feel different feelings and... I'm so happy about that... Because every gig, every song, every single note, is different in a different place, in a different time.
I don't know if you can understand what I mean... Sorry for my poor english but...
I swear, I CAN'T feel the same in two different concert.
Just can't.

Esteban
Esteban Posted Thu 27 Dec, 2007 3:47 PM Quote
That's one way of making a first post.

goosey_84
goosey_84 Posted Thu 27 Dec, 2007 4:20 PM Quote
Esteban wrote:

lol my thoughts exactly! haha

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Thu 27 Dec, 2007 7:43 PM Quote
goosey_84 wrote:
Esteban wrote:

lol my thoughts exactly! haha

Yep, mine too!

I think Travis' perforances are different in their own way, it's about how they all play slightly differently, and some songs go well, some go a bit wrong (like when Fran forgot the lyrics in Plymouth :)), but you could never repeat it. I don't think they're into big jam sessions at the ends of songs.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Thu 27 Dec, 2007 8:36 PM Quote
Welcome to the board.

Personally, I think that Travis already changes up songs when performed live (for example the acoustic "Flowers In The Window" and the rockier version of "The Fear"). You can't do it to every single song because that would just be overkill, but I think they do an excellent job of mixing it up and an incredible job interacting with the audience and making them feel connected and a part of the experience. I guess that every band can improve on their live performances, and that's obviously what you are challenging Travis to do, but I find it interesting because I think they are already unbelievable live. I think they've definitely improved musically from when I saw them on the 12 Memories tour.

I guess I'm not one to judge Travis' music too objectively because I'm such a huge fan that I love everything they put out! But my boyfriend is a classically trained musician and while he likes Travis, he can look at them more objectively. He told me the show we went to this summer is the best concert he's ever seen. And he's seen several huge acts live, including U2. He told me that he prefers Travis live and that if anything, they should bring more of a live sound to their recordings. For me, I love the mellowness of Travis' album sound, but I supposed bringing a rockier edge and bringing back some of that "Good Feeling" couldn't hurt.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Fri 28 Dec, 2007 2:43 AM Quote
Yeah I agree that that was a pretty ballsy first post. I was fairly amused that you were posting whilst tipsy (a common occurrence here). Instead of calling an ex or streaking through your neighborhood, you post about Travis! Good call, as there are probably less repercussions.

I get your point but I think they do change things up a bit already. Also, as you said, they are fantastic live. Why should they change what is working?

Personally I get a little bored when bands feel obliged to insert more solos into every song just because it's live. It sometimes comes across as self-indulgent and makes me think they are a bunch of blowhards. I am always up for more Andy solos because he is incredible but I don't want extend-o versions out of some feeling of obligation. Also Travis is the tightest band I've ever seen so they don't need to prove their musicianship, at least to me.

They are giving 110% every single night. If they wanted to change things up even more I believe they are more than capable of doing it. They already give waaaay more than most bands do on- and off-stage.

But of course you are entitled to your opinion as I'm entitled to mine. You pose an interesting idea/challenge.

You might get your wish as the rumor is this new album will be done quicker to have a "rockier" feel so perhaps that will come through in the shows? (***COMPLETE SPECULATION ON MY PART***)

P.S. As many American "boardies" as possible are going to try and meet in Chicago the next time they tour the U.S. so that show should be crazier than usual.

the boy with a cryptic name Posted Fri 28 Dec, 2007 10:33 AM Quote
Nikki wrote:
I think they do an excellent job of mixing it up and an incredible job interacting with the audience and making them feel connected and a part of the experience.

Absolutely. That's the main point of a Travis gig unlike some other bands who try to get through the set list with the occasional impromptu solo.

PS. Nikki, you're boyfriend obviously has impeccable musical taste! ;)

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Fri 28 Dec, 2007 6:04 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:
Welcome to the board.

Personally, I think that Travis already changes up songs when performed live (for example the acoustic "Flowers In The Window" and the rockier version of "The Fear"). You can't do it to every single song because that would just be overkill, but I think they do an excellent job of mixing it up and an incredible job interacting with the audience and making them feel connected and a part of the experience. I guess that every band can improve on their live performances, and that's obviously what you are challenging Travis to do, but I find it interesting because I think they are already unbelievable live. I think they've definitely improved musically from when I saw them on the 12 Memories tour.

I guess I'm not one to judge Travis' music too objectively because I'm such a huge fan that I love everything they put out! But my boyfriend is a classically trained musician and while he likes Travis, he can look at them more objectively. He told me the show we went to this summer is the best concert he's ever seen. And he's seen several huge acts live, including U2. He told me that he prefers Travis live and that if anything, they should bring more of a live sound to their recordings. For me, I love the mellowness of Travis' album sound, but I supposed bringing a rockier edge and bringing back some of that "Good Feeling" couldn't hurt.

Ahh! I totally agree with you Nikki.
I've been loving Travis music for a few years already, but seeing them live takes everything to a whole new level. If I was a fan before I saw them, I don't know how to define myself now...
Here in Buenos Aires, everybody that went to the festival (including people who didn't go there to see Travis) was blown away by the band's performance. Many friends I know had gone there to see The Killers and they all agreed that Travis was *the* band of the festival.
Of course every band evolves and improves, but I think they're amazing already :oP
I'll shut up now, cause I'm repeating Nikki's post.

the boy with a cryptic name Posted Fri 28 Dec, 2007 6:57 PM Quote
weirdmominaustin wrote:
Instead of calling an ex or streaking through your neighborhood, you post about Travis! Good call, as there are probably less repercussions.

Unless you pick on the hardcore fans who don't like their favourite band being criticised. I bet you'd get cyber-attacked on some boards for such blasphemy!
It's a good thing we're all so nice on here :D

MusicGirl99
MusicGirl99 Posted Fri 28 Dec, 2007 7:24 PM Quote
They always 'ramp it up a notch' and change their set list nightly. You might be a casual fan, but this album's tour, the encores were always different, the dialogue is always different (you'd be surprised to find out how many artists have their in-song banter scripted on teleprompters), and musically and vocally they do not hesitate to mix it up, for instance, the intro to Side or the 'new' Good Feeling lyrics, both not on the record. And don't forget the fantastic entrance! (I can't see Dave Matthews pulling that off. hehe) I'd still like to know whose idea that was in the first place. But I agree that Back in Black is the best cover they do live. Welcome btw.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Sat 29 Dec, 2007 4:52 PM Quote
http://myspace-013.vo.llnwd.net/01478/31/08/1478738013_l.jpg

FranFlower
FranFlower Posted Sat 29 Dec, 2007 6:44 PM Quote
I see your point, but instead of asking them to change their live shows, which happen to be amongst the best I have ever seen, I would turn your message around and rather ask them to figure out a way of capturing the amazing vibes from their live shows onto an album.

In my opinion the albums arent near the experience you get from the concerts. Don't get me wrong, their albums are brilliant, but they just don't reach the level of live-Travis :)

It would be nice to have them bring out a live album or go back to when they recorded the songs in live sessions. But then again I'm sure they plan to blow us away with the new "rockier" stuff they've promised us. Can't wait to hear it, and I really wish I could go to one of the smaller gigs this spring.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Sat 29 Dec, 2007 8:15 PM Quote
ricv64 wrote:
http://myspace-013.vo.llnwd.net/01478/31/08/1478738013_l.jpg

LMAO.

A picture certainly is worth a thousand words.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Sat 29 Dec, 2007 10:36 PM Quote
http://c.myspace.com/Groups/00004/55/35/4225355_l.jpg

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 11:49 AM