Travis

Re: Under the Moonlight
joemono
joemono Posted Fri 01 Jun, 2007 8:51 PM Quote
accousticbug wrote:
the fact there was so many songs written for this album.

Which makes you wonder why they decided to put a song written by someone else on the record.

I've been thinking about this off and on since the album came out, and for me it just seems like a pointless move. The promos were sent out, the tracklist was great and the album sounded awesome. And then they decide to stick a cover on there for some reason.

And I hate to say it, but the whole thing has tainted the song for me. When it first leaked, I thought "Well, this definitely sounds like a b-side, and it's not bad." Now that they've added it to the album, I always skip it and will probably never really listen to it again. I have no desire. In fact, I've been keeping an eye on eBay for a promo copy of the album, just so I don't have to bother skipping the track (okay, and I collect them as well, but still...)

Ultimately, I'd really like to hear the reasoning behind including the song on the album. I know Travis doesn't have to explain anything to us, but it'd be nice to know.

Just my opinions, and like most people, not really worth much. :)

Ursina
Ursina Posted Mon 04 Jun, 2007 11:42 AM Quote
joemono wrote:
accousticbug wrote:
the fact there was so many songs written for this album.

Which makes you wonder why they decided to put a song written by someone else on the record.

I've been thinking about this off and on since the album came out, and for me it just seems like a pointless move. The promos were sent out, the tracklist was great and the album sounded awesome. And then they decide to stick a cover on there for some reason.

And I hate to say it, but the whole thing has tainted the song for me. When it first leaked, I thought "Well, this definitely sounds like a b-side, and it's not bad." Now that they've added it to the album, I always skip it and will probably never really listen to it again. I have no desire. In fact, I've been keeping an eye on eBay for a promo copy of the album, just so I don't have to bother skipping the track (okay, and I collect them as well, but still...)

Ultimately, I'd really like to hear the reasoning behind including the song on the album. I know Travis doesn't have to explain anything to us, but it'd be nice to know.

Just my opinions, and like most people, not really worth much. :)

agree...... I just don't understand it considering that they had plenty of material. och well
sina:)

sdoah
sdoah Posted Sat 08 Nov, 2008 9:08 PM Quote
I have to revisit this topic. First, let me defend this song again. It is a sappy pop song, yes, but guess what "pop" is not bad. This song brings me pure joy, pure joy. I adore this song. Can somebody please help me out and let me know if Travis have done this song live yet? I went through a bunch of The Boy With No Name '07 tour set lists and didn't see it on any. Is it just because Susie Hug wrote it? Is this song still getting a bad wrap? Man, I would love to see this song live at the Troubadour next Tuesday.

Isa_travis
Isa_travis Posted Sat 08 Nov, 2008 11:18 PM Quote
Quote:
I have to revisit this topic. First, let me defend this song again. It is a sappy pop song, yes, but guess what "pop" is not bad. This song brings me pure joy, pure joy.

I think the same. Ok, it is not that Travis but I do like it!
Mm...could it be that this song was included because KT Tunstall was in there?

akanksha
akanksha Posted Sun 09 Nov, 2008 12:09 AM Quote
I like this song because it's Travis doing something that's as UNLIKE Travis as possible. Poppy and romantic sweet-nothingish and all that. I think if it were done by some other artiste I wouldn't really think much of it.

sdoah
sdoah Posted Sun 09 Nov, 2008 2:11 AM Quote
guys . . . Flowers in the Window is sweetie, romantic and popish too. It is very Travis to me :-)

Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Sun 09 Nov, 2008 5:02 AM Quote
Time has moved my liking it to loving it. i'm so glad they changed and put it on. I bought this album for a friend and its her favourite track .

I think the lyrics are romantic , simple but full of imagery. Anyone who has felt like that (UTM) can probably relate .

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Sun 09 Nov, 2008 7:53 AM Quote
akanksha wrote:
I like this song because it's Travis doing something that's as UNLIKE Travis as possible. Poppy and romantic sweet-nothingish and all that. I think if it were done by some other artiste I wouldn't really think much of it.

I think there are many Travis songs that are sweet and romantic, maybe not in a "Under The Moonlight"-way, but still there is Flowers, Humpty Dumpty and so on..

I'm not a big fan of the tracklisting of TBWNN at all. I think the first half is GREAT. but then something happens after One Night that brings the album down a bit..

Nell
Nell Posted Sun 09 Nov, 2008 10:11 AM Quote
Oh no I definitely love under the moonlight!

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Sun 09 Nov, 2008 10:50 AM Quote
TheBoyWithAName wrote:
I'm not a big fan of the tracklisting of TBWNN at all. I think the first half is GREAT. but then something happens after One Night that brings the album down a bit..

I know what you mean, somewhere it's not quite right. The songs aren't bad but I just lose interest after My Eyes/One Night. :(

akanksha
akanksha Posted Sun 09 Nov, 2008 12:00 PM Quote
TheBoyWithAName wrote:
akanksha wrote:

I think there are many Travis songs that are sweet and romantic, maybe not in a "Under The Moonlight"-way, but still there is Flowers, Humpty Dumpty and so on..

They are sweet and romantic, and revolve around love, as well, no doubt. It's just that Under The Moonlight is sweet in a different way...not so acoustic-y as Flowers and Humpty Dumpty, for one thing. I think what I meant is it sounds more like a bouncy pop song. From a pop artiste. Can't really explain it. It's just different! But I like it haha.

Mikko85
Mikko85 Posted Sun 09 Nov, 2008 12:18 PM Quote
mmm. Revisiting this, I still find myself in TOTAL agreement with everything Joemono said at the top of the page.

Under the Moonlight isn't a bad song by any means. Musically it's top rate, lyrically less so but it's still the kind of song you'd be quite happy to hear if it came on while you were walking round a shop, for example. Listen too hard and it's really, really difficult to get over the slightly nonsensical lyrics and the fact it just doesn't sound like anything Fran or Dougie would write at all.

And that's the crux for me - it is not a Travis song. Yeah, it's alright. But so's Umbrella by Rihanna, if you're in the mood. Doesn't mean they should put it on their next album. It's out of place, it FEELS like it's been crowbarred into the tracklist at the last minute, and I don't see any reason why it should have got anywhere near the album. I know Fran's friends with Susie Hug, but....

I actually think had UTM been a b-side, as imo it ought to have been, it would be remembered a lot more fondly all round. Susie Hug gets massive kudos off me for writing Unbelie4vers, which is remembered as a top rate b-side and released in a way so it doesn't really matter who wrote it and you just appreciate it as a good song. Mmmm.

Nell
Nell Posted Sun 09 Nov, 2008 12:51 PM Quote
the boy with a cryptic name wrote:
TheBoyWithAName wrote:

I know what you mean, somewhere it's not quite right. The songs aren't bad but I just lose interest after My Eyes/One Night. :(

sorry...I totally disagree...It's my favorite album... true I don't really like the chorus in "under the moonlight" but the verses are beautiful...and in the 3rd verse after the first chorus...fran kinda laughs while singing - at least it sounds like it..

well this is just a song which makes me totally happy. whenever i hear it - i gotta smile...:)

to Flower's in the window: The album-version is ok but the version they're doing on the stage - busking version is much much better. I even think they're singig a wee bit faster - and there's the second bv-voice in the chorus.......the live version is just...so full of energy...

like drinking a red bull....or a flying hirsch :p

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sun 09 Nov, 2008 2:14 PM Quote
TheBoyWithAName wrote:

You're so right. I don't know what it is but something doesn't quite happen after One Night. The first 8 songs are brilliant. Really brilliant. But then, it kind of drifts off. Too many songs I think for one reason. Ode's 11 is the perfect number. :)

Monica
Monica Posted Sun 09 Nov, 2008 5:16 PM Quote
Totally agree with what TheBoyWithAName and Ben said :)

Pages Previous 1 2 [3] 4 Next All Times BST Current Time 7:46 PM