Travis

Re: Under the Moonlight
accousticbug
accousticbug Posted Fri 01 Jun, 2007 12:42 AM Quote
its brilliant.. to say its acheesy. throw away song and that it doesnt mean anything is absouetly ridiculous..

it paints a lovely picture, with some great imagery and a very memorable melody.. and the vocals are perfect.

i tend to think its just cause its not written by fran or dougie folk are giving it a hard time. its one of my favourite on there. i wish the mix up with the tracklistings at the start hadnt happened. then it wouldnt have been such a big deal and focal point.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Fri 01 Jun, 2007 4:14 AM Quote
"It should be swapped with "Sailing Away"."

Agree 100 percent!

I really like Under the Moonlight, but knew right away that Fran didn't write it. Sailing Away is a much better song.

My favorite part of Under The Moonlight is when Fran sings: "And we'll feel this way, for today and for all tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiime" ... it's the only "Trivis-ish" part of that song to me. Does anyone understand what the hell I'm talking about? LOL :P

emmahealy
emmahealy Posted Fri 01 Jun, 2007 4:38 AM Quote
thejames8 wrote:
Under the moonlight is probably not liked by true Travis fans as it is strictly not written by any of the band members. If you have a in the back of the cd booklet or sleeve in the vinyl LP it says "09 written by Susie Hug". Even though it still seems to fit in with TBWNN and the Travis sound.

More info re Susie Hug
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/susiehug

TALIA
TALIA Posted Fri 01 Jun, 2007 7:31 AM Quote
emmahealy wrote:

More info re Susie Hug
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/susiehug

uhm, interesting :)

Nikki
Nikki Posted Fri 01 Jun, 2007 7:42 AM Quote
Thanks for posting that! Her bio mentioned that Fran sings backing vocals on a song called "Fable" from her album "A Is For Album." Has anyone heard this??

Ursina
Ursina Posted Fri 01 Jun, 2007 7:47 AM Quote
Nikki wrote:
Thanks for posting that! Her bio mentioned that Fran sings backing vocals on a song called "Fable" from her album "A Is For Album." Has anyone heard this??

of course I've heard of Susie Hug and I like her songs. Travis have covered her songs before and I really like A Is For Album (got it) but with Under the Moonlight I think she slipped up with the lyrics.... not with the melody

Blue Flashing Tal
Blue Flashing Tal Posted Fri 01 Jun, 2007 9:18 AM Quote
I actually quite agree with you. Personally it's hard for me to like something that sounds that sweet. I mean the melody is nice, and Fran's voice is always amazing, but the words are just too touchy.

Ursina
Ursina Posted Fri 01 Jun, 2007 10:47 AM Quote
Just listening to it again, I really do love that jangly guitar sound but when it comes to the chorus ..under the moonlight with the one you love going placed together toniiiiigh, tooniight ... juk ! *presses skip*

Selfish-Matthew
Selfish-Matthew Posted Fri 01 Jun, 2007 1:12 PM Quote
I really like the song. But would definatley not have put it on the Album, maybe as a hidden track or a b side but not in with one night and out in space. However some kind of buffer is needed between those to songs and I don't think sailing away would have done it.

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Fri 01 Jun, 2007 5:10 PM Quote
I think it would have been good to have a duet (or at least more prominence of KT) because she is a very famous and great singer, so why not? I'm thinking of the Snow Patrol/Martha Wainwright kind of idea. Then there could be proper harmonies and all that jazz.

lilly
lilly Posted Fri 01 Jun, 2007 5:14 PM Quote
I don't like it. At all. Always have to skip track 9 on the album :(

Mikko85
Mikko85 Posted Fri 01 Jun, 2007 6:19 PM Quote
accousticbug wrote:
its brilliant.. to say its acheesy. throw away song and that it doesnt mean anything is absouetly ridiculous..

well not really, it's an opinion that seems to be shared by quite a lot of people. Whatever the rights & wrongs.

Lyrically, I think it makes Sing sound profound. Probably made even more by the fact Out in Space is right after it - probably the most well crafted thoughtful song on the whole album. It sounds good. The style of the music fits in well, but the lyrics just don't fit at all.

the early promos didn't have it, so it seems like a last minute decision to put it in. They had their reasons, I'm sure - just don't quite get it!

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Fri 01 Jun, 2007 6:44 PM Quote
accousticbug wrote:

i tend to think its just cause its not written by fran or dougie folk are giving it a hard time.

For me, it's not because it isn't a Travis-written song that I don't reckon it's up to much. I mean, I think Unbelievers is a great Susie Hug-written track for instance. But at the end of the day the reason I like Travis, over any other reason, is because of their songs and their ability and style in writing them. So from that respect yes - it not being a Travis song and some people not liking it are no doubt connected.

accousticbug
accousticbug Posted Fri 01 Jun, 2007 7:26 PM Quote
yeh.. its obviously going to be weird, i guess most people just want to listen to a 100% travis effort, and having a song not written by fran and co mite taint it ever so slightly. i dont think that though because of the history with susie hug and the fact there was so many songs written for this album.

and i appreciate its everyones opinion.. but i think someone should stick up for this song!!

i really really dont know how its cheesy though.. to describe a scene like that, it paints a lovely picture. i guess i cant really add anymore.

but it beats eyes wide open for me. i really really love the start of that song and the verse lyrics but then it kinda feels like an anti climax when the chorus hits. andys guitar is great too. but this phrase eyes wide open seems so current with snow patrol and others talking about it. and the song my eyes of course on there.

but hey its a brilliant album.. and i guess everyone will have there least favourites because of the quality being so high.

PipeDreams
PipeDreams Posted Fri 01 Jun, 2007 8:43 PM Quote
NOOOOOO way i soo badly love that song its so lovely i think its one of the best on the album x

Pages Previous 1 [2] 3 4 Next All Times BST Current Time 10:49 PM