Travis

Re: How did you discover Travis?
happy_me
happy_me Posted Thu 31 May, 2007 2:26 PM Quote
One of the girls in my class in high school used a laptop (because she was physically disabeled) and in the recess she put on The Invisible Band, I instantly "fell in love" and bought the album the day after. Bought The Man Who and Good Feeling a couple of months later and joined the messagboard. Since then I've been addicted ;)

Mikko85
Mikko85 Posted Thu 31 May, 2007 3:22 PM Quote
It's weird, I knew about Travis pre-Invisible Band, WDIAROM and Turn were quite famous songs already, but it was seeing the video for Side that actually made me go out and buy their albums. Had long since realised I liked them, but Side I loved - remember going out after seeing the vid and it was just in my head for ages and agaes.

First thing I did was buy TIB, then worked backwards with The Man Who and Good Feeling. After that, no escape! I was hooked.

Kinda strange thing is I'm not THAT fussed by Side anymore. It's a great song, but not one of my absolute faves.

Frenchygirl
Frenchygirl Posted Thu 31 May, 2007 3:56 PM Quote
I saw the video of "Sing" and I loved the song and the band!

Travis Rocker
Travis Rocker Posted Thu 31 May, 2007 3:57 PM Quote
i first heard of travis in 1999, a friend of mine at school gave me a copy of the man who, the 1st song i ever heard was driftwood n immediately fell in love with it, i also remember making a prat of myself trying to sing why does it always rain on me? in the sixth form common room, i then later discovered good feeling in my local hmv as they had a sale on, they i brought the man who for real and the rest as they followed

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Thu 31 May, 2007 5:24 PM Quote
I bet noone else can say this:

We studied the lyrics of Driftwood in an English lesson a couple of years ago, and then I saw The Man Who in Woolworths for a fiver and bought it. I loved it, and bought the rest when I found them going cheap.
I'm not exactly one of the founder members of the fanbase, but I love them anyways.

Incidentally, I don't really like Woolworthses, but they seem to have started off many a Travis fan, so we have that to thank them for.

1/3 of Suggestive Leg
1/3 of Suggestive Leg Posted Thu 31 May, 2007 5:25 PM Quote
Why were you studying them? Like poetry?

Tonie
Tonie Posted Thu 31 May, 2007 5:27 PM Quote
kevinnn wrote:
heard them on the radio when they released why does it always rain on me. then i bought good feeling and i was amazed at how raw they used to be.

Spot on for me too.

And that rawness translates so well into live performances. The Good Feeling tracks are the gig highlights for me every time!

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Thu 31 May, 2007 5:31 PM Quote
Quote:
Why were you studying them? Like poetry?

Yeah, my English teacher was ranting on about how the lyrics could easily have been a poem by themselves, I see what she means now, and kinda agree, but it seemed a bit off topic. Still not sure why, but very thankful that she did.

Steph_canuck
Steph_canuck Posted Thu 31 May, 2007 6:12 PM Quote
If I remember correctly, I saw a little blurb from them on a Vh1 special on drugs, sex, and rock and roll or something. they said some wise words and I thought, hey ill look into them. So I downloaded Love will come through and instantly fell in love with them. bought all their CDs--which goes to show that downloading can be a good thing.

deepi
deepi Posted Thu 31 May, 2007 7:33 PM Quote
Andrew wrote:
They were everywhere some what hard to miss and someone bought me The Man Who :-)

Boring but true

that's what happened with me, i can't actcually remember what song of their's i hear first but i remember thinking it was great. i also loved watching their videos, i love Travis's videos

yolanda
yolanda Posted Thu 31 May, 2007 8:34 PM Quote
Hello!
I'm really proud of my discovery, it's been a decade and I still like the band! It was early 1997 (I'll try to check the date 'cause I was writing a diary at the time), I was doing an Erasmus exchange programme at Loughborough Uni and they played at the student's union. I think I'd already listened to their single on the radio (I guess U16Girls but I can't tell), but the thing is I really enjoyed the concert and thought they were really good, which has been confirmed for sure...

yolanda
yolanda Posted Thu 31 May, 2007 8:44 PM Quote
Hi again!
just checked the Tour archive area and can't find the gig I went to, maybe it's not considered a proper concert (I think all the concerts at the union were free). I'll try to find out...

fyonahfire
fyonahfire Posted Thu 31 May, 2007 9:00 PM Quote
It was the summer of 2000 and I was doing my yearly summer away in Scotland to work in my aunt's pub. I think we were driving from Inverness to Edinburgh one weekend and my aunt asked if I had heard of them (which I had not - good music comes over to the US from the UK quite slowly!) so she popped in The Man Who and I have been hooked ever since!!!

ChickVW
ChickVW Posted Fri 01 Jun, 2007 1:49 AM Quote
I discovered them back when MTV still *gasp* played videos, and they tossed in "Why Does It Always Rain On Me?" on there, and I instantly fell in love. I live in Midwestern US so have only come across the opportunity to see Travis in concert once before, but was too young to drive up there and my parents objected. I WILL see them July 21st, somehow!

Pochakita
Pochakita Posted Fri 01 Jun, 2007 1:52 AM Quote
I had always liked Sing and the video, but never knew who played it.
Then on 2004 i saw their VH1 Storytellers at home and fell in love with them immediately. Something about their openness and how they talked to the audience. So i bought 12 memories (which was their latest album at the moment) and listened to it hundreds of time. Then i bought the rest of their albums and dvds.
Not a very old fan, but a big one :-)

Pages Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Next All Times BST Current Time 2:44 AM