Travis

Re: What Book(s) Are You Currently Reading?
Chiito-chan
Chiito-chan Posted Tue 03 Mar, 2009 5:53 PM Quote
A Room Of One's Own - Virginia Woolf.

fenchurch
fenchurch Posted Tue 03 Mar, 2009 7:09 PM Quote
Chiito-chan wrote:
A Room Of One's Own - Virginia Woolf.

Ooh, I love Virginia Woolf.

I started my new Sherlock Holmes book only to find that THE FIRST 30 PAGES ARE MISSING!!!

But I went to the library today and found an Anthony Burgess book so I'm gonna read that instead. It's impossible to find any of his books besides A Clockwork Orange, and he wrote over 20 novels.

Loubsi
Loubsi Posted Tue 03 Mar, 2009 7:14 PM Quote
I'm about to start reading The Polysyllabic Spree by Nick Hornby (I looove this writer but I haven't read this book before)

bogusblue
bogusblue Posted Wed 04 Mar, 2009 2:38 AM Quote
The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway

Peewee
Peewee Posted Sat 11 Apr, 2009 5:17 PM Quote
I'm reading a brilliant book at the minute! It's called The 19th Wife by David Ebershoff.

Here's a little synopsis:

Faith, I tell them, is a mystery, elusive to many, and never easy to explain.

Sweeping and lyrical, spellbinding and unforgettable, David Ebershoff’s The 19th Wife combines epic historical fiction with a modern murder mystery to create a brilliant novel of literary suspense.

It is 1875, and Ann Eliza Young has recently separated from her powerful husband, Brigham Young, prophet and leader of the Mormon Church. Expelled and an outcast, Ann Eliza embarks on a crusade to end polygamy in the United States. A rich account of a family’s polygamous history is revealed, including how a young woman became a plural wife.

Soon after Ann Eliza’s story begins, a second exquisite narrative unfolds–a tale of murder involving a polygamist family in present-day Utah. Jordan Scott, a young man who was thrown out of his fundamentalist sect years earlier, must reenter the world that cast him aside in order to discover the truth behind his father’s death.

And as Ann Eliza’s narrative intertwines with that of Jordan’s search, readers are pulled deeper into the mysteries of love and faith.

The detail in this book is amazing and at times I have had to check if it is actually non-fiction (but it's not). It goes through the whole history of The Church of Latter Day Saints. I find it truely fascinating! Although I do not understand some things this religion believes I can understand how people come to believe such things. Seriously I recommend it!

Has anyone else read it?

fenchurch
fenchurch Posted Sat 11 Apr, 2009 8:16 PM Quote
Sounds pretty interesting Peewee, I haven't heard of it before but I might give it a go if I can find it. I've actually noticed this year that so many books that I read have faith and religion as a main theme, it's weird but sometimes I don't even notice that it is. I guess it's a topic that there's always something more to say on.

At the moment I'm reading Stephen King's The Stand. Boy is it long! King's a fantastic storyteller though, always entertaining and intriguing. I just can't figure out how he's managed to write so many huge books.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sat 11 Apr, 2009 11:07 PM Quote
Text and Tests 3.- Leaving Cert. Mathematics

If I do go back to school I better get some practice in...

Dubz

dee
dee Posted Sat 11 Apr, 2009 11:12 PM Quote
i finished breaking dawn.
nicely non-thinking fluff though, not taxing on the brain at all. actually a bit crap in retrospect
must admit i was kinda grabbed by twilight so went out and bought the rest of the books on a whim. i feel like stephanie meyer just doesn't have the knack to finish a story well...all of the book endings have been more than a little meh

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Sat 11 Apr, 2009 11:48 PM Quote
I'm currently reading a book about how to manage ADHD without Ritalin. It's a real page turner. I have another book to read after I'm done with this one. It's about how to manage ADHD without Ritalin. I'm giddy with anticipation.

fenchurch
fenchurch Posted Sun 12 Apr, 2009 12:28 AM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

Dubz

How are you finding it? I'm studying Text and Tests 4, and I'm so tempted to drop down to pass :(

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sun 12 Apr, 2009 12:14 PM Quote
fenchurch wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

Dubz

How are you finding it? I'm studying Text and Tests 4, and I'm so tempted to drop down to pass :(

It's tough going but OK, but then I do want to learn it this time around.

I'm only qualified to O'Grade (Scotland) level 3 and that was 20 years ago. The Leaving Cert is a much higher level probably close to A'Level in Scotland (O & A levels were being done away with when I was at school they were moving into something called Standard Grades[continuos assessment] don't know if this lasted) For example I never touched Calculus until I went to college to study Electronic Engineering in '94.

Personally I would stick with honours level, it's all about the points these days for further education, also anyone I know with the higher level is very proud of it. However if you truely feel you can't handle it then dropping down may make you excel in other subjects...

Best of luck with it.

Dubz

leaving cert maths
dee
dee Posted Sun 12 Apr, 2009 12:47 PM Quote
i dropped down to ordinary level maths a couple of months before the leaving. it was taking up way too long to do my homework each evening and I decided that since I didn't need it for entry to my degree it was pointless.in fact it was just making my other subjects suffer. the fact that an honours D isn't even worth an ordinary A shows how much of a silly jump between the levels there is. Don't forget for most courses you need to have passed a maths subject, it would be tragic to stick with honours, fail, and then have to repeat your year.
for my first couple of weeks in ordinary i kept making every sum super complicated for myself , i kept thinking that something was going wrong cos everything was way too easy. in the end the teacher had to tell me that if a sum goes over a page long, just start again and that there was no trick questions here.
as for the points, i still managed 545 without relying on maths.

Re: leaving cert maths
fenchurch
fenchurch Posted Sun 12 Apr, 2009 4:33 PM Quote
dee wrote:
as for the points, i still managed 545 without relying on maths.

Whoa! well done! Maths has always been my best subject, before this year I don't think I've gotton less than an A in a maths test more than 3 or 4 times. This year though I'm struggling to get a C. In the end, I think I'll keep it up out of pride. I do have a brother who's a maths genius, so I can always go to him for help (although he never dumbs things down enough for me).

Thanks for the advice Dubz and Dee.

Peewee
Peewee Posted Tue 14 Apr, 2009 1:51 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
I'm currently reading a book about how to manage ADHD without Ritalin. It's a real page turner. I have another book to read after I'm done with this one. It's about how to manage ADHD without Ritalin. I'm giddy with anticipation.

LMAO! Riviting stuff indeed. :)

bogusblue
bogusblue Posted Wed 15 Apr, 2009 2:36 AM Quote
Silk by Alessandro Baricco.

Pages Previous 1...4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 Next All Times BST Current Time 1:06 AM