Travis

Not In The top-40 again
jambut
jambut Posted Mon 01 Oct, 2007 1:00 AM Quote
Unbelieveable how low brow must the current british single buying public be. Lets face it My Eyes is easily better than all of those tracks i think "hey there Delilah" and "she'ze so lovely" are quite good but the rest. makes me feel ashamed to be a teenager.

I dont get how travis had a sellout uk tour but cant get into the top-40 with argueably the best track of the album.

thoughts?

Re: Not In The top-40 again
Sara Anna
Sara Anna Posted Mon 01 Oct, 2007 11:39 AM Quote
I've been a fan of Travis for many years, I used to post on here a lot, debates and honest opinions both positive and negative and then I was told I wasn’t allowed to post anything negative! First I would just like to say, I don't give in to bullies, then again said person said they weren't going to read my posts anymore so it doesn't matter what I say anyway.
Being a fan is about the music and giving honest feed back so here are my thoughts whether people agree or not.

I don't follow the charts but I’ve just had a look at the official top 75 for the UK. People on here say that they don't care about the charts and what position Travis get to and I’ve heard the band say that too, that chart positions aren't important. In a recent quote from Fran while hitting out at celebs putting status before music, he says,

“Music shouldn't be about the band or the personalities. It's about the songs. As long as the songs are out there making people happy that's what it's all about.”

Yet people are quick to defend if they're not in the charts. Last week they were number 60, this week they've completely dropped out of the top 75, the worst chart position ever for one of their singles, why? Ok, maybe this is none of my business but I am a music fan so I will give my thoughts on the subject.

Marketing, I don’t work in the music industry but I know people who do and yes the marketing is crap as a few of you have pointed out. You can’t blame the British music buying public if they don't get to hear the music in the first place. I've seen/heard very little publicity for this single, Radio 2 had it on their A play list but Radio 1, XFM and Virgin who are probably the main commercial radio stations, especially amongst the younger generation did not have the song on their play list at all for some reason. That's very strange for Virgin who normally gives the band a lot of support so that begs the question why?
People can’t buy it if they haven't heard it so it fails to chart.

Marketing Plan B, release the single as part of a compilation CD free in a Sunday newspaper, it gets it out there so people can hear it and the band would get their money back as the paper would have done a very nice deal with the band I’m sure as with the Prince album. The public get to hear their music for free which is something Fran seems to encourage and another medium as well as radio and the internet, so every ones happy. Whether or not the CD gives them more publicity and has everyone rushing out to buy the albums and current singles is another matter, only time will tell.
The song itself, well I’ve just scanned over the charts and noticed that the chart has the Foo Fighters, Air Traffic, Stereophonics, KT Tunstall, Annie Lennox, Pigeon Detectives, White Stripes and re-releases like Phill Collins (love the Gorilla advert) and Joy Division and Snow Patrol are 'STILL' in there with chasing cars, and dare I say it, James Blunt, all of which in my opinion are far better and stronger than the Travis song.

My Eyes is a nice little song but it's not single material, it's not strong enough and had no chance with the little publicity it had. Unfortunately for me, the whole album is disappointing and uninspiring compared to their earlier material and I only say that because I really did love their music and miss the Travis magic that to me is now absent from their current material. Of course, Fran will probably take what I’ve said about the album/single out of context and see it as a personal insult against his family seeing as the song/album is written for his son ;-)

XFM are doing documentaries by the way on the most inspiring albums of the last decade and you know what's coming up, The Man Who. So from Man Who, one of the most inspiring albums to well, what more can I say, so perhaps it’s not the marketing but the material itself that needs improvement for it to get publicity and air play.
One thing I will agree with though is that they are the best live band I’ve ever seen and I’ve seen hundreds of bands over the years. They are a live band, that's what they do best, that's why they sell out gigs, that’s where the Travis magic is but unfortunately the magic has gone from the song writing, I don’t care about chart positions but I do care about the music and I find myself longing for the magic of the early days and The Man Who once more.

Apoligise for the long reply, I had a lot to say.
Feel free to comment, i'm sure you will

Sarah x

Jonners
Jonners Posted Mon 01 Oct, 2007 12:06 PM Quote
If the lads need to stoop as low as 'The Ladies' Bras', either in content or in 35 seconds of a song, in order to get into the charts, then...

(Scott Mills - thanks mate Number 27 in the charts! Check it out on Itunes if you don't know what I'm talking about!!!)

sorry angel
sorry angel Posted Mon 01 Oct, 2007 2:46 PM Quote
Sara Anna wrote:

My Eyes is a nice little song but it's not single material, it's not strong enough and had no chance with the little publicity it had. Unfortunately for me, the whole album is disappointing and uninspiring compared to their earlier material and I only say that because I really did love their music and miss the Travis magic that to me is now absent from their current material.

Nice to see you around Sarah, hope you're well.

I agree with you in that My Eyes is a nice little song but hasn't got the necessary strength for a single. Although I am very touched by the theme of the song, I do find it wick.
Unlike you I like that album a lot, but perhaps not as many songs as in previous albums. My preference goes to the "real" songs in it, song as in song by songwriters ie the first one and the last 3 (including the 2 hidden tracks).
Take care.

Ursina
Ursina Posted Mon 01 Oct, 2007 3:25 PM Quote
Sara Anna wrote:
I've been a fan of Travis for many years, I used to post on here a lot, debates and honest opinions both positive and negative and then I was told I wasn’t allowed to post anything negative! First I would just like to say, I don't give in to bullies, then again said person said they weren't going to read my posts anymore so it doesn't matter what I say anyway.
Being a fan is about the music and giving honest feed back so here are my thoughts whether people agree or not.

who told you that ?? this is just not on ! We used to have some great discussions here but sadly this has almost all gone. I'm so glad to see you here again.... so please stay and keep voicing your opinion.. I'm sure the lads actually appreciate it.

Sina :)

sorry angel
sorry angel Posted Mon 01 Oct, 2007 3:48 PM Quote
Ursina wrote:
Sara Anna wrote:
...and then I was told I wasn’t allowed to post anything negative! First I would just like to say, I don't give in to bullies, then again said person said they weren't going to read my posts anymore so it doesn't matter what I say anyway...

who told you that ?? this is just not on !...

Sina :)

Certainly not on at all.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Mon 01 Oct, 2007 4:19 PM Quote
That is pretty silly that someone told you you not allowed to say anything negative about Travis. While I like the latest album more than you do your opinion is well thought-out and was an interesting read.

I think a lot of the marketing stuff is out of their hands. It's also a question of what they're willing to do. I think at this point they've realized that they need to be balanced in terms of having more of a life outside of touring.

Taralyn
Taralyn Posted Mon 01 Oct, 2007 5:22 PM Quote
Yes i agree that Travis are the best live band around, but I love every track on TBWNN including the 2 hidden tracks which is rare thing on Albums, marketing for My eyes was worse than Selfish Jean which got a lot of air play and featured as background in a lot of the TV soaps and the boys made TV appearances to promote which as they are touring is not poss with MY Eyes, such a shame as its more than a nice song!

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Mon 01 Oct, 2007 6:23 PM Quote
With the charts, I'd be lying if I said I don't care where Travis' singles end up. I like to see good songs get a bit of justice when all said and done. Closer got into the top 10, which is cool, but I thought Selfish Jean was going to do so much better. It's a fun track, great lyrics, and I could see it being popular in certain clubs etc. But apparently not. :/ My Eyes on the other hand...I like the track, but it doesn't exactly do anything new. I think the bridge is catchy, but the verse and chorus bores me a bit.

They need to do another "Sing". Although WDIAROM? is their signature song, Sing got played a huge amount of the radio, got them their highest chart position to date, and crucially introduced loads more people to their music. Of course I realise it’s a more gradual process than that – the continual bombardment of good songs from The Man Who, and then Coming Around, helped to ensure Sing’s success. But then after The Invisible Band – which delivered some of Travis’ most popular singles – it all went a bit commercially downhill.

All I can say is that Travis need to unleash something totally different for album 6. Like, the same way that The Man Who was different to Good Feeling. As much as I personally liked TBWNN, it was a mismatch of different songs, and didn’t quite hold together and deliver an atmosphere like The Man Who. And so in turn it doesn’t quite have that same impact. If they go all arty-farty, and win a few arty-farty awards, the success should start to trickle through again, lol. Or better still, they could just get a decent record label, and get some serious marketing going on!

Gladly (the cross-eyed bear)
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) Posted Mon 01 Oct, 2007 7:19 PM Quote
I think its a good album. The songs all fit and flow well.

However it aint really got a powerful single on it

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Mon 01 Oct, 2007 8:34 PM Quote
Typing to Reach You wrote:
As much as I personally liked TBWNN, it was a mismatch of different songs, and didn’t quite hold together and deliver an atmosphere like The Man Who. And so in turn it doesn’t quite have that same impact.

I'm glad I'm not imagining this! Once TBWNN gets to track 7, I normally turn it off, because it flows so phenomenally badly from there on. It's actually painful to listen to the track transitions even though invidually there are some very good songs. I really hope that for the next album they go for a more radical approach to something, like Muse did while recording Black Holes...

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Mon 01 Oct, 2007 9:00 PM Quote
Sara Anna, there are so many points I agree with, I don't know where to start!

Firstly, thanks for posting! Your opinions are very well thought out and clearly worded. You should be proud of your defiance of the people who tried to suppress your opinions and I'm glad you've made these (very valid) points.

I agree with almost everything you say. Particular points that stand out include this quote (it's so good I want to write it again!):
“Music shouldn't be about the band or the personalities. It's about the songs. As long as the songs are out there making people happy that's what it's all about.”

I believe this album was a confidence builder for them - they had taken many hard hits from all sides after the release of 12 Memories, and as they stated when releasing it, TBWNN is a way of reassuring people that Travis are back and as lovely as ever. They've been writing it for so long, I thnk they lost perspective to a certain extent of what a great album is - The Man Who does not have better songs that any of their other albums, it has something else - that freshness, naivety, emotion in such large quantities, it just feels right.

I think they need one song to reignight the passion - a Chasing Cars, a Patience or Shine (Take That) that gets people back into them and gets lots of airplay. I will never believe how badly Selfish Jean was marketed and how it didn't connect with the public in the way it should have.

I don't think the new music is as bad as youy do, I think that song by song it's as good as TIB and Good Feeling, but as a whole it suffers by comparison. I'd love to see them go to Spain or New York (all of them, with a view of really drawing something from it!) to record or write new material. I think it's a pity they still record using layerings and separate ideas rather than live, given they're so good at it.

Travis I still love you so much, but I can see you slipping away, even from the hardcore fans, if you don't try something different. The music is good, but the magic, for now, is gone.

Tonie
Tonie Posted Mon 01 Oct, 2007 9:04 PM Quote
Sara Anna wrote:
I've been a fan of Travis for many years, I used to post on here a lot, debates and honest opinions both positive and negative and then I was told I wasn’t allowed to post anything negative!

Good grief! Who was that????

Sara Anna wrote:
Radio 1, XFM and Virgin who are probably the main commercial radio stations, especially amongst the younger generation did not have the song on their play list at all for some reason. That's very strange for Virgin who normally gives the band a lot of support so that begs the question why?

Bothers me too. Some strange conspiracy theory against Travis. And of course it's going to drive down record sales if nobody hears the stuff.

It's one thing for people to say they don't care about single sales, but we all like to hear about our favourite bands being successful.

Sara Anna wrote:
in my opinion are far better and stronger than the Travis song.

My Eyes is a nice little song but it's not single material, it's not strong enough and had no chance with the little publicity it had.

This is a personal opinion, but happens to be one I share, and I've said as much here before.

Sara Anna wrote:
Unfortunately for me, the whole album is disappointing and uninspiring compared to their earlier material and I only say that because I really did love their music and miss the Travis magic that to me is now absent from their current material. Of course, Fran will probably take what I’ve said about the album/single out of context and see it as a personal insult against his family seeing as the song/album is written for his son ;-)

Harsh, but again it's a personal thing. It's a good album, with some stronger songs than others. And Fran will not read this and get upset. Of this I'm quite confident. Shoot me if I'm wrong!

Sara Anna wrote:
I find myself longing for the magic of the early days and The Man Who once more.

The early days began before the Man Who!!! :)

It's good you're back Sarah, keep up with the controversy!

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Mon 01 Oct, 2007 9:26 PM Quote

Here in Argentina, the only single from TBWNN that's been played decently in the media is Closer (the video is still being aired). I've heard Selfish Jean like once on the radio, and watched the video also once, so I don't think My Eyes will be released here...
With all that having been said, I must say I really don't care much if Travis don't make it in the charts, I'm happy just to see they're being played here.
But if the matter is what does the band need to be more commercialy successful, I agree with TTRY on that comment about Sing. I think it's not (by far) one of Travis' best songs, but it did catch the attention of a lot of people (they became famous here with that song, everybody knows it).
To me TBWNN is a great album, not my favourite, but I love the way it combines different elements from their past records with a new approach. I think My Eyes is a beautiful song, it's one of my favourites from TBWNN, but I'm not sure if it has enough strength to be a single.

Sorry for my poor English...

Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Mon 01 Oct, 2007 10:08 PM Quote
Sara Anna wrote:
"Being a fan is about the music and giving honest feed back so here are my thoughts whether people agree or not. "

Its just your 'honest' feedback is always negative towards the Band. Even being in this post, you couldn't resist could you?

I think youv'e made yourself clear ,just too many times , yawn , most of all to Fran and lets be honest , You'd have to be fuckin reincarnated to be in his good books again, and that is an honest fact that you already know.

But carry on , no ones stopping you .

Pages [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Times BST Current Time 2:16 AM