Travis

Did Travis screw it up releasing 12 Memories?
imkatatonic
imkatatonic Posted Wed 15 Aug, 2007 7:39 AM Quote
I've the feeling most of the people who really do know Travis work has judged 12 Memories as a failure or an album that wasn't meant to be. Do you agree? I COMPLETELY disagree.

Knowing I'm a fan I can easily realize I might not be objective, but attempting to give just a personal & rational opinion I'd put it into my top 3 of Travis releases (ok, albums...all those singles count, too). I mean, who wouldn't like Love Will Come Through? Or Re-Offender? Damn, couldn't be the best but it's not the worst. Actually, I cannot decide which album would be the worst...(fan profile returns)

What do you think? (aside from the fact that I might be nuts and everyone who says it's not a good one is right :/ )

I'm sorry about my English, I've been trying to improve it as fast as I can.

Cheers!

Re: Did Travis screw it up releasing 12 Memories?
lindsey22295
lindsey22295 Posted Wed 15 Aug, 2007 7:47 AM Quote
12 Memories is definetly one of my favorties. I think for the casual Travis listener 12 Memories may have turned them off a bit, but I guess it is their own fault for not giving it a chance! 12 Memories will always hold a special place in my heart because Love Will Come Through is the first Travis song I heard :)

Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Wed 15 Aug, 2007 9:09 AM Quote
Not at all. ! Was a treausred Album to most Travis Fans , just wasn't a commercial album , thats all. So hence it wasn't a chart topper, but listened to by the discerning . It was not meant to be a chart topper so thats where the word 'failure' by whoever writes it , is both unfair and incorrect.

Its undiscovered by a lot. but there to find and enjoy and who knows , one day it might get the credit it deserves. :-)

mayfly
mayfly Posted Wed 15 Aug, 2007 9:40 AM Quote
12 Memories is higher than TBWNN on my personal album chart no matter of the commercial failure. I have to say I'm slightly disappointed that Travis didn't put more 12 Memories-que influence on the new album TBWNN. When I talked to a guy who referenced Re-Offender as the worst single in 2003, I happily would like to dart at him and a critic he mentioned. Re-Offender is the greatest single Travis have ever released with the brilliant b-sides The Sea, Enemy, Definition of Wrong. Daft!!!

GotChrist
GotChrist Posted Wed 15 Aug, 2007 11:12 AM Quote
I actually like more songs from 12 Memories than any of their oter albums.

One of the best albums in my opinion.

What I like are:

Re-Offender
The Beautiful Occupation
Love Will Come Through
Happy To Hang Around
Somewhere Else
How Many Hearts
Mid-Life Krysis
Peace The Fuck Out
Quicksand
Some Sad Song

The only two I didn't really like that much was Walking Down The Hill and Paperclips.

Ursina
Ursina Posted Wed 15 Aug, 2007 11:22 AM Quote
imkatatonic wrote:
I've the feeling most of the people who really do know Travis work has judged 12 Memories as a failure or an album that wasn't meant to be. Do you agree? I COMPLETELY disagree.

I don't think people who really know Travis' work call it a failure, well I for one love it, just because it is different, it is part of Travis' musical history it reflects how Fran and the band were feeling at the time. It's not a commercial album and that is good, it shows the guys have guts. No, they did not 'screw up' releasing it.

sina;)

Gladly (the cross-eyed bear)
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) Posted Wed 15 Aug, 2007 11:24 AM Quote
I think commercially it killed momentum in terms of building a fanbase.
I dont think waiting so long to follw it up either was a great idea for commercial reasons either.
BUT maybe thats not of great concern to them.

Monica
Monica Posted Wed 15 Aug, 2007 11:41 AM Quote
I like 12 Memories. It has fantastic songs. An album or an object is not better because of the sales around the world. For example, Enrique Iglesias has sold millions and millions of albums and that doesn't mean his records are fantastic. What I'm trying to say is that, you have to judge quality, not quantity.

lizbeth0619
lizbeth0619 Posted Wed 15 Aug, 2007 3:54 PM Quote
Travis needed to release 12 memories. There was no screw up about it. It was a time in their life and it's great songs. True Travis fans do not judge and just appreciate every song they can get.
I personally love 12 Memories. I love all of their albums.

Rallyfoeraren
Rallyfoeraren Posted Wed 15 Aug, 2007 4:08 PM Quote
12 Memories has always been my favorite Travis album. Although it doesn't have the best songs (with the exception of Re-Offender), the overall feeling of that album is just better than anything else Travis have ever recorded.
I also think that a commercial failure is something beautiful, but that's probably just me.

Rain on the brain
Rain on the brain Posted Wed 15 Aug, 2007 4:17 PM Quote
12mem is my favourite album, Quicksand, peace, somewhere else, happy to hang around are just some of the most beautiful songs i've ever heard. And paperclips although a lot of people don't like it, that's one of the special songs with a particular place in my heart

Why Does It Always Payne On Me
Why Does It Always Payne On Me Posted Wed 15 Aug, 2007 4:38 PM Quote
Oh, thank GOD. I keep getting the vibe that I was one of the few who loved 12 Memories with a burning passion. As I've mentioned elsewhere -- it was THIS album that made me a full-blown fan! It's PERFECT... got some harder stuff like Beautiful Occupation... some harsh-ish bittersweet stuff like Re-Offender... something sweet like Love Will Come Through and The Fear... it's vunderbar. My favourite Travis album to date.

Album sales might not depict it, but I reckon a lot of people loved the album anyway. 12 Memories is a WIN.

INSTA-win, even.

Meridith
Meridith Posted Wed 15 Aug, 2007 5:56 PM Quote
Rain on the brain wrote:
12mem is my favourite album, Quicksand, peace, somewhere else, happy to hang around are just some of the most beautiful songs i've ever heard. And paperclips although a lot of people don't like it, that's one of the special songs with a particular place in my heart

I really love paperclips too. It's a beautiful song.

Yulia Nox
Yulia Nox Posted Wed 15 Aug, 2007 6:19 PM Quote
http://i14.tinypic.com/4kuk8c1.jpg

Absolutely disagree

12 memories is a great album!
Love will come through is one of my favorite songs!
Re-offender, how many hearts, the beautiful occupation, Somewhere else!...all the songs are really good!

I don't think they screwed it up..

paul_c
paul_c Posted Wed 15 Aug, 2007 9:53 PM Quote
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) wrote:
I think commercially it killed momentum in terms of building a fanbase.
I dont think waiting so long to follw it up either was a great idea for commercial reasons either.
BUT maybe thats not of great concern to them.

That's what i think. Rather than making music for commercial reasons, they're making music for personal reasons. Whereas the earlier albums had songs which you could look at and say they're about everyone or everyone can relate to them, i think with the last 2 albums (Singles excluded) the songs are a lot more personal.

Anyone who says what you said they say about 12 Memories isn't wise! How Many Hearts is one of my favourites, and i think in all honesty 12 Memories is the Travis album i listen to most- which has to count for something..

Pages [1] 2 3 Next All Times BST Current Time 2:04 AM