NME long backlash for
mingsy_sar
mingsy_sar Posted Sun 05 Aug, 2007 10:36 AM Quote
It's rather lengthy and at the bottom of the page

http://www.nme.com/reviews/travis/8522[url=][/url]

Re: NME long backlash for
Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Sun 05 Aug, 2007 10:57 AM Quote
Rather lengthy. Yes, you could say that. 1890 words. That's a bleeding essay, lol. Good on you for writing it, although you should really tone up your "concise and to the point" skills. http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x66/Jearoon2/Smilies/4-Wink.gif

accousticbug
accousticbug Posted Sun 05 Aug, 2007 12:44 PM Quote
bloody heck ive not seen there review of tbwnn

you know what really pisses me off about NME... fran was right. they do support some good innovate, original and exciting music, but its always a sidenote, and gets lost in all the absoluete dross that comes with the it.. with there constant worship of razorlight and the artic monkeys and other general overinflated rubbish.

they did this to thom yorke and radiohead remember until after hail to the thief then they.. "made up".

anyways well done.. id write a letter but id imagine theyd either change what i had written or just take the piss out of what i say if they chose to publish it. only way to make some sort of a stand is just not to buy it.

paul_c
paul_c Posted Sun 05 Aug, 2007 1:40 PM Quote
I really don't understand why they get people who clearly don't like the music to review it. It doesn't make any sense. It'd be like me reviewing a Mika or James Blunt album!

mingsy_sar
mingsy_sar Posted Mon 06 Aug, 2007 5:34 PM Quote
I've never got along with NME, I've never bought it, but the "The Boy With No Name" review was the last straw. It really is just a rant about how they've treated Travis over the years isn't it?

Mike_Thomas
Mike_Thomas Posted Mon 06 Aug, 2007 9:01 PM Quote
It certainly is. I think there was a post about the NME recently where I commented that as soon as you release your second album, you suddenly become their public enemy. But that is an absolutely superb piece of writing - if the NME had any class it would print it in their letter section.

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Mon 06 Aug, 2007 9:07 PM Quote
Surely no-one can hate a band that much! Yes, I think some music is boring, yet more plain rubbish, but at no point do I think of joining one of the biggest music mags and trying to permanently stop their sales!
Good for you, that's a particularly amusing sight :) Sorry I didn't read it, but I feel it may take up rather a large portion of my evening!

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Mon 06 Aug, 2007 9:17 PM Quote
paul_c wrote:
I really don't understand why they get people who clearly don't like the music to review it. It doesn't make any sense. It'd be like me reviewing a Mika or James Blunt album!

Wow. That "review" is just rude. I take special exception to the critique of Fran's rhyme structure being crap- esp. the "shame about the weather" and "birds of a feather" because I specifically asked him about those lyrics and the explanation is lovely.

I'm with you Paul, the critic should be assigned to artist/genres they are generally interested in and have an expertise in. They should be honest about what they think about the album and not just blow smoke up band's butts but there are artists/genres that I would never review because I just straight up hate them so I couldn't see any good in them.

Meridith
Meridith Posted Mon 06 Aug, 2007 9:20 PM Quote
Wow, that review that NME wrote really pissed me off. I thorougly enjoyed your "essay" mingsey_sar. You are right on.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Tue 07 Aug, 2007 2:38 AM Quote
Sam Richards needs to go back and take a few more journalism classes, that is, if he's ever taken any in his life. Honestly, that is the sorriest excuse for a review I've ever read. If I turned that pointless garbage in to one of my editors I'd be looking for another reporting job. And I'm not saying that JUST because I like Travis, but because it's awful and says nothing about the music. He obviously has something against the band and would have written it that way no matter how the music sounded.

In my opinion, you shouldn't be writing music reviews if you can't appreciate that Travis has talent - even if you don't like that type of music. It's like saying The Beatles are crap. I've turned a lot of people on to Travis recently. Some absolutely love their sound and have become huge fans and others, like for example my friend who ONLY listens to heavy metal, doesn't dig Travis but told me he appreciates their musicianship. So go away Sam Richards and NME!

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Tue 07 Aug, 2007 2:51 AM Quote
Nikki wrote:
Sam Richards needs to go back and take a few more journalism classes, that is, if he's ever taken any in his life. Honestly, that is the sorriest excuse for a review I've ever read. If I turned that pointless garbage in to one of my editors I'd be looking for another reporting job. And I'm not saying that JUST because I like Travis, but because it's awful and says nothing about the music. He obviously has something against the band and would have written it that way no matter how the music sounded.

In my opinion, you shouldn't be writing music reviews if you can't appreciate that Travis has talent - even if you don't like that type of music. It's like saying The Beatles are crap. I've turned a lot of people on to Travis recently. Some absolutely love their sound and have become huge fans and others, like for example my friend who ONLY listens to heavy metal, doesn't dig Travis but told me he appreciates their musicianship. So go away Sam Richards and NME!

Amen sister. I keep thinking about that review and getting mad. You don't have to love, or even like, Travis but that review was just an excuse to be a jerk.

mingsy_sar
mingsy_sar Posted Wed 08 Aug, 2007 9:28 AM Quote
I don't think NME would ever publish it in their letters section, they don't have the guts. Except they do manage to alienate alot of people with their unqualified reviews. Sorry it was an "essay" wasn't it, well i am a graduate now so.

weirdmominaustin what is the explanation of those lyrics?

Tianyan
Tianyan Posted Wed 08 Aug, 2007 1:49 PM Quote
The NME are shiiiiiiitte! LOSERS
Long live travis. :) :)

lizbeth0619
lizbeth0619 Posted Wed 08 Aug, 2007 2:01 PM Quote
mingsy_sar wrote:

Bravo for writing your piece....NME sux! I've never put pen to paper in defending them......but maybe we should all start.

Bravo!

lizbeth0619
lizbeth0619 Posted Wed 08 Aug, 2007 2:03 PM Quote
lizbeth0619 wrote:
mingsy_sar wrote:

Bravo for writing your piece....NME sux! I've never put pen to paper in defending them......but maybe we should all start.

Errrrr.....finger to keyboard. ha ha!!

;)

Bravo!

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 11:19 AM