Travis

Re: Why are Travis burying their new songs?
BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Tue 17 Jul, 2007 1:37 PM Quote
Ruudio wrote:
joemono wrote:

I guess part of my frustration came while I was listening to Say Hello. I think it's a beautiful song and it's a shame more people aren't getting a chance to hear it. I think I might be getting old, because something doesn't sit right with me in owning something solely in a digital format. So in that respect, I'd love to see Say Hello officially pressed on to something - be it CD or wax. Plus I recently found out that my record player no longer works, so the untimely death of that coupled with these new vinyl-only b-sides has been unfortunate. And has made me grumpy.

Anyway, great to get a reply from you - it's interesting to get your take on it, and to hear about the way music is made, marketed, and distributed from someone on the inside. Thanks!

If your getting old, I'm getting old too. I don't feel like I really have the music if I only have it downloaded. Downloading albums doesnt have the same thrill as buying new cds!

Totally agree with you. :) Buying a CD is special. The whole event of opening it up, seeing if the booklet inside is any good, looking at the pictures etc while you listen to the album for the first time. You just don't get that by downloading.

dejr26
dejr26 Posted Tue 17 Jul, 2007 6:47 PM Quote
gladsadmad wrote:

I have bought both vinyl bundles of Closer and Selfish Jean as a collector, but can't play them as I (And many other fans these days) don't own a record player.

Would you consider streaming them on your myspace page, or putting the vinyl songs up on iTunes so that peole can hear and buy them legally please?

Adding them to a site for people to download would be a great idea. I do think the record company have right though. People are being vinyl more these days I guarantee that although Selfish Jean didn't do amazingly well, it would have done worse if it had been released on 3 cd's instead.

I guess I'm lucky and can listen to the vinyl records but to be honest IMO it doesn't cost much to buy a record player these days (£20-30). Also, I just find them much more appealing and interesting to buy. For the people who were lucky to get the signed copies, you would have to admit they look so much better on the 7" than they ever would on the cd single. Vinyl is king hehe!

Ruudio
Ruudio Posted Tue 17 Jul, 2007 7:03 PM Quote
I do like having them on vinyl even though I dont play them. I have a record player in the loft too! They just look cool esp if theyre signed!

Niftium
Niftium Posted Tue 17 Jul, 2007 7:42 PM Quote
Digital downloads drive me crazy. From DRM to quality degradation, there are a million reasons not to purchase music online. I don't think vinyl is a bad idea at all. Like Fran mentioned, vinyl has a different sound. That sound can be used/explored almost like another instrument. Also, with the right equipment, you can rip vinyl tracks to MP3s in the bitrate of your choice (without DRM).

And as someone above mentioned, you can get a pretty good record player for the same price as a 5-disc CD changer.

FranFlower
FranFlower Posted Tue 17 Jul, 2007 9:21 PM Quote
Actually this is one of the many small quirks I like about Travis. Vinyl's are classic, and beeing too young to own any myself I was more than happy to get the Selfish Jean bundle. (Ok, the fact that it was signed was no drawback either ;)) Knowing that it's recorded the old fashioned way combined with the nostalgic sound of vinyl playing creates a special atmosphere you just can't get with the digital formats. I'm not saying the digital tracks doesn't give me chills though. I get plenty of "goosebump-moments" from the CD's too. The vinyls just serve another addition to the many good feelings Travis' music brings me :)

Also I actually like the "hunt" for b-sides. I like having to work a little to "complete the collection". But here's where I might be a little subjective seeing as I do collect the "physical" Travis singles as well as having them as mp3's. I do agree though, that for the ones who just want the songs without having to get the vinyls, there should be a way to download them digitally. Personally I would get the vinyls anyway, since downloading music just doesn't bring out the same feeling ans buying "physical" music does. Like someone said earlier, the feeling of holding a cd(or vinyl), checking the booklet for lyrics, artwork and credits is all part of the thrill for me.

Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Tue 17 Jul, 2007 10:24 PM Quote
I like the vinyl idea very much . I do think they should be availbable on CD as well .I think the pleasure of vinyl goes a step further than the experience FranFlower just mentioned with Cd's ...A little pot of gold :-)

kim2007w
kim2007w Posted Tue 17 Jul, 2007 10:28 PM Quote
i bought both and down loaded the i tune, so i can listen in the car on cd player, in the house on record player and on my computor at work, best of both / all 3 worlds

thejames8
thejames8 Posted Tue 17 Jul, 2007 10:43 PM Quote
I agree that it is annoying having 2 B-Sides a single on vinyl, and releasing the vinyl B –Sides on cd would be a lot better for fans. However, I agree with what someone else said that with the vinyl you get a different, more classic sound that you don’t get on download or cd.

Anyway maybe this gadget could solve the problems???
http://www.firebox.com/index.html?dir=firebox&action=product&pid=1401&src_t=wnp

Although it is a bit expensive...

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Sun 22 Jul, 2007 4:36 PM Quote
everyday_face wrote:
Sadly, it was on the old board and so is lost to the ether, but in about January/February of this year, I made a post along the lines of "the official please can we not have vinyl only b-sides post".

It received a total of no comments.

S'not like I didn't warn you all and give you the chance! The signs were there after Walking in the Sun, hence my post!

But yeah, pretty much in agreement with most of what's been said. I don't really like the concept, think it exploits collectors, and is just generally frustrating and annoying.

Yeah, I would have replied but I didn't have anything else to add so I just left it. You were very right!

I add my voice now to the calls for non-vinyl releases - I'm not going to buy the vinyls cos they'll clutter up my room and I won't ever play them. I think it would be good to have the option of vinyl or download (or even better CD!)

Thanks for the explanation Fran, get talking to those record company people!

chichard41
chichard41 Posted Sat 28 Jul, 2007 12:28 AM Quote
To be quite honest I love vinyl for the warmth of sound you get off them. Or just the simple pleasure of resting your head near the needle, still a joy for me.

Pages Previous 1 [2] All Times BST Current Time 7:18 PM